Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Isn't it time to go F2P

HathiHathi Member Posts: 236

I think the 14 day trial offers are beyond this game now. Do you think a resurgence can still happen if they went free to play for this game?

Finally - Best site for Chuck Norris
http://www.chucknorrisfacts.com/

Comments

• shamus252shamus252 Member UncommonPosts: 226

Maybe, but im not a fan of the F2P model myself.

Sic semper tyrannis "Democracy broke down, not when the Union
    ceased to be agreeable to all its constituent States, but when it was upheld, like any other Empire, by force of arms."

• Deckard729Deckard729 Member Posts: 30

It might work, however such an influential game going F2P might be a really bad move.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I'd rather see the plug pulled on the game than to see it suffer the twisted fate that results from the F2P model. 

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

Originally posted by Jimmac

I'd rather see the plug pulled on the game than to see it suffer the twisted fate that results from the F2P model. 

Make it so...

• GamerAeonGamerAeon Member Posts: 567

DAoC is past its prime

its one of those that was a major contender in its hayday but present times everything is going Hi Def Graphics Hi Def Sound

Action based gameplay, Arcade Twitch Mode combat

Only thing DAoC has going for it at all is the fact it's still about the only decent Medieval times type MMO out there.

• SokekokeSokekoke Member UncommonPosts: 56

I disagree. Its true daoc is past its prime, but game have a lot going for it still, amazingly.

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983

I would love to see DAoC go F2P.  I think it's a great way to keep older games around and maybe even revitalize them.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SokekokeSokekoke Member UncommonPosts: 56

But i don't see the need for FTP at the moment. Only one server left, but VERY populated. And there is always the freeshards if you can't afford to pay a little for your hobby

• kverikkverik Member Posts: 55

Originally posted by Hathi

I think the 14 day trial offers are beyond this game now. Do you think a resurgence can still happen if they went free to play for this game?

[Mod Edit]

Currently at any time of the day you can log on and see the Ywain cluster with 1000 players on it, assuming that people sleep thats roughly 2.5k people or so. Last year on EA's billing report they made a total of 600,000 dollars from this game (or something like that it has been a while I can say matter of fact this is probally within 50k of the correct amount) That is roughly 5000 players paying for a full year at a time, assuming that Dark Age still has about 5000 players subed then that is another 600k coming into EA's pockets this year.

Sure all the fans would come back rejoice "Woo Hoo DAoC is free I can now play it on the side of WoW", EA's out 600k /Y but hey if the fans are happy thats just small money to EA right..... Haha good luck with that one.

EA really does not give two shits about this game, the only reason the servers are still open is because the game is in stable working condition and the man power they currently have behind the team is very very small most of the people that work on this team are from other departments I think DAoC only has like 5 unique employees. Along with being easy to maintain is also the fact that there is still profit to be earned from the game, milking the cow dry as the old saying goes. If they made the game free there would be no reason to keep it open, and a "F2P cash shop" is not going to work in DAoC these are the old school fans that camped in front of their computers for hours waiting for a mob to spawn, buying items for you character with money leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I think I can say the same for others.