Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does pvp require any specific player skills?

Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

Ok, i am just asking since i dont know

Does eve pvp require anykind of specific skills(timing, speed,strategy, placing etc) or its just use the a usual type of ship with a well known effective build and just target and activate weapons/modules?

asnwer in 2 specific scenarios team vs team

1 versus 1

I put 2 scenarios cause i ve seen many times in team vs team that they try to expect enemy ship types and create a strategy to counter them that might not be needed in 1v1, and i am mostly interested about how much player skill affects the pvp outcome

Comments

• AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

IMO, knowledge about each ship is the most important skill.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Yes, very much so! (Not all of the below will necessarily apply to every fight)

Spatial Awareness

Intuitive knowledge of game mechanics - aggro, tracking, falloff, damage types et cetera et ad infinitum. Generally less important in large fleets as, if you have brought the correct ship type, the FC will be doing most of the work here.

Fleet discipline and procedure - when to speak on comms, when to shut your noise-hole on comms, listening to the FC, how to work with fleet members in different types of fleets. This becomes more important in larger fleets

Straight up piloting skill (the smaller the ship the more this applies. There really isn't much player skill in piloting a Titan!).

Staying calm and actually applying all those skills. This is harder than people think and it's one of the biggest seperators between veteran pilots and newbs.

How to fit your ship. Again, there is more to this than people think.

Despite the popular myth of "spreadsheets in space" EVE PvP is frequently intense, brutal and skill-intensive. But you have to make it happen.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Wolfy2449
    1 versus 1

Forget 1v1. They are rare and rarely balanced at all. When there is a balanced fight, someone already made a mistake in engaging in the first place.

Eve is all about information warfare and information management. You try to hide your real strength, try to bait people into doing something you want, trying to predict their plans and to counter their actions.

The actual engagement and kill is most often just the culmination of the preceding metagame. There are still lots of ways to screw up an engagement and thus lots of room for player skill, but the most important part of the battle has been fought before any shots are exchanged.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Originally posted by Malcanis

Staying calm and actually applying all those skills. This is harder than people think and it's one of the biggest seperators between veteran pilots and newbs.

IMO "skill" refers to a physical attribute, hand eye coordination, ie a skillful sports man, a skilful FPS player, a skilful driver etc. Everyone knows how to drive, but a skilful driver is the fastest, everyone knows how to play an FPS, but the skilful guys get the most kills.

I think MMOs are more about knowledge and strategy, what spell/weapon to deploy and when for example, what counters what and so on, like a chess game, with no actual physical skill in application, as they are simple mouse clicks. Knowledge here is more important than skill.

However as alluded to already by Malcanis, in the above quote, in Eve, there is either a skill or it comes with experience, the ability to apply the knowledge and strategy you know over the sheer panic that ensues (rapid heart beat, unable to think clearly etc) when you do engage an enemy, of course this is less in massive fleet battles, where there is safety in numbers, but is much more prominent in small group solo encounters, this is I think is a skill, to be able to think clearly and apply your strategy whilst suppressing the panic.

After thought: I just wonder what actual soilders go through in real life pvp, when their own life is at stake

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

After thought: I just wonder what actual soilders go through in real life pvp, when their own life is at stake

Much the same thing. Keep a clear head, remember your training, listen to orders and above all, DON'T PANIC. Breath...

Easier said that done, trust me. But it works if you can keep a lid on the panic and control of your bowels. It's surpirisng how quickly the training takes over once you stop thinking too much about what's going on, or what might happen to you.