Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum - Now With Cash Shop

13»

Comments

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Seems like more p2p games are getting cash shops.. AION jus got theres not too long ago.. I knew once WoW would allow cash shop items more sub games would get them eventually too.. Even tho cosmetic items i'am not too worried about myself.. I jus think if were paying for the game we should be allowed to paint our mechs in game w/o having to pay.

City of Heroes was doing it long before WoW was. Actually, most of NCSoft's games were P2P + Cash shop aesthetic items/server and name changes

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by ellisdtrails

How is that different from setting up a few alt accounts (free) two years from now, purchasing two months of subscriptions (60 days EP all in all, just like the early access) and selling those accounts? 

From what I was told, there is a set time limit for the free EP. After set time limit the keys just add 30 days of gameplay, no EP.

therefore you can do what you just stated, in the time limit, and have even more EP,  just by hopping on the free EP deal now. 

Which would be no different a month from launch if we didn't have an EP bonus for early access. Yes, the earlier you get in the more EP your account can have, that's the whole point of the system, for older players to have more options.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

How is that different from setting up a few alt accounts (free) two years from now, purchasing two months of subscriptions (60 days EP all in all, just like the early access) and selling those accounts? 

From what I was told, there is a set time limit for the free EP. After set time limit the keys just add 30 days of gameplay, no EP.

therefore you can do what you just stated, in the time limit, and have even more EP,  just by hopping on the free EP deal now. 

How does the issue as stated by you out weight the benefit to legitimate players?  What is the actual impact to me as a regular subscriber to the game?

I'm not disputing that it's an issue, and I'm not saying you're wrong.  Of course it's unfair for people to buy accounts instead of spending the time to play, but the free EP for the early subscribers doesn't seem (to me) to be an especially big issue.  Doesn't seem to have a whole lot to do with the Cash Shop either, since it's a one time deal, not a regular "for sale" thing.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• ellisdtrailsellisdtrails Member Posts: 84

Which would be no different a month from launch if we didn't have an EP bonus for early access. Yes, the earlier you get in the more EP your account can have, that's the whole point of the system, for older players to have more options.

Thanks for your time and answers. it seems the best thing to do is just stay away from this game, as new players are seemingly just afterthoughs with no hopes of ever being in competition with older players.

-no need to reply, unless you want to. I have all the information I need.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Thanks for your time and answers. it seems the best thing to do is just stay away from this game, as new players are seemingly just afterthoughs with no hopes of ever being in competition with older players.

This is what most people misunderstand about this system. More options means more options, not necessarily better options. There are lots of things to do in Perpetuum, ranging from combat to economics and industry - to specialize in one of these fields is entirely possible for a new player, however as their characters get older they will have the option to move into others. Spending EP on industry won't make you a better fighter :)

Originally posted by BoyC

This is what most people misunderstand about this system. More options means more options, not necessarily better options. There are lots of things to do in Perpetuum, ranging from combat to economics and industry - to specialize in one of these fields is entirely possible for a new player, however as their characters get older they will have the option to move into others. Spending EP on industry won't make you a better fighter :)

Limited EP gain won't make you a better fighter either ;)  it just keps subscriptions.

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Look this game is taking most of the features of Eve so why not take the feature that unless you have been playing for the last six years you will never catch up? Seems logical.

Double game fail.

Look this game is taking most of the features of Eve so why not take the feature that unless you have been playing for the last six years you will never catch up? Seems logical.

Double game fail.

I was hoping for something fresh that would break the mold, after all it's 2010, soon to be '11.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Saorlan

Double game fail.

Except of course, what you stated isn't true even in EVE, so why should the Dev's here try to develop such a mechanic.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

If a game isn't for you, a game isn't for you.

What exactly is your issue with the method Perpetuum uses to advance players?  Not a general, "they don't care about new players", but how is the system going to affect you (if you were to actually subscribe*)?  For example, do you expect to be ganked constantly by older players?  Unable to mine because of this?  Unable to be the lone wolf mercenary?  What is the result you want to avoid, or the result you will be unable to obtain because of the EP system?

* I probably won't subscribe, but it's a purely financial reason, nothing to do with game mechanics

Originally posted by lizardbones

What exactly is your issue with the method Perpetuum uses to advance players?  Not a general, "they don't care about new players", but how is the system going to affect you (if you were to actually subscribe*)?  For example, do you expect to be ganked constantly by older players?  Unable to mine because of this?  Unable to be the lone wolf mercenary?  What is the result you want to avoid, or the result you will be unable to obtain because of the EP system?

* I probably won't subscribe, but it's a purely financial reason, nothing to do with game mechanics

Right now, the game is based purely on keeping you subbed by limiting character progression. Severly. No matter what I do, in game or out, progression is gimped by an EP system that, for lack of better terms, was designed for the sole purpose of keeping a user subbed to the game. There are rewards for early access, none for an actual gamer, who actually plays the game, and has the time to do so.  I'm not rewarded by playing the game, nor what i'm doing in it, I'm rewarded by how long I have been *playing. That system may have worked a few years ago, but not now, not to me. 

/edit

*playing is the wrong word to use. How long I have been subscribded would be a better term. 

people in game have already estimated it would take 4-7 years to max out their characters.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

Right now, the game is based purely on keeping you subbed by limiting character progression. Severly. No matter what I do, in game or out, progression is gimped by an EP system that, for lack of better terms, was designed for the sole purpose of keeping a user subbed to the game. There are rewards for early access, none for an actual gamer, who actually plays the game, and has the time to do so.  I'm not rewarded by playing the game, nor what i'm doing in it, I'm rewarded by how long I have been playing. That system may have worked a few years ago, but not now, not to me. 

Err, you've played mmo's before right? All sub mmo's are based on keeping you subbed. I've been playing a week and havn't even used half my EP yet. The game isn't just about progressing in skills, in fact at no point have I really thought that was even all that important, right now I'm having other goals that are far more important than adding to them by expanding my choices for spending more chash.

The game has a progression over time standard the same as Eve, this isn't hidden anywhere it's a fundamental of the game if you don't like the idea of that why would you beta in the first place, illogical. You may not feel you are getting some 'reward' from playing the game but not everyone needs 'oooh shiny' for that, there are many other things to do. Maybe I havn't played as long as you and you've got bored but the mechanic you are critisising was there from the start and will always be there.

You start by complaining they're giving a certain amount of free EP away then complain they aren't giving you enough, because you need to keep playing the game to obtain EP, make your mind up.

Look not being funny, but you are just running out of troll material. Go log on your real account so we can see the real affiliate you have to the game you seem to be defending so vehemently and worried about.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Right now, the game is based purely on keeping you subbed by limiting character progression. Severly. No matter what I do, in game or out, progression is gimped by an EP system that, for lack of better terms, was designed for the sole purpose of keeping a user subbed to the game. There are rewards for early access, none for an actual gamer, who actually plays the game, and has the time to do so.  I'm not rewarded by playing the game, nor what i'm doing in it, I'm rewarded by how long I have been playing. That system may have worked a few years ago, but not now, not to me. 

Hmmm.  You are rewarded with EP by how long your account is active.  You are rewarded with NIC by actually playing.  Unless you play and accumulate some NIC, you're going to be running around in a little Arkhe.  No amount of EP in the game is going to level the difference between the starter Arkhe and an Assault class robot, much less one of the heavy robots.  Both EP and NIC are necessary to be successful.

Just starting out that 1 month of EP is going to make a huge difference.  As other people join the game and gain EP that 1 month is going to be less and less of a factor and the NIC earned or the robots received from corporations is going to matter more.  How much?  Dunno.  The difference between someone starting a year after the game's release and someone who started when the game released is going to be much more dramatic.  That doesn't seem to deter people from signing up with Eve, and continuing to play the game.

But again, you either like a game, or you don't.  It doesn't even matter why.  If you don't like a game, don't give the developers any of your money.  If you do like a game, give them your money.  Then the game will either succeed or fail, but what difference does it make to you?  You should be playing something you like. :-)

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Err, you've played mmo's before right? All sub mmo's are based on keeping you subbed. I've been playing a week and havn't even used half my EP yet. The game isn't just about progressing in skills, in fact at no point have I really thought that was even all that important, right now I'm having other goals that are far more important than adding to them by expanding my choices for spending more chash.

The game has a progression over time standard the same as Eve, this isn't hidden anywhere it's a fundamental of the game if you don't like the idea of that why would you beta in the first place, illogical. You may not feel you are getting some 'reward' from playing the game but not everyone needs 'oooh shiny' for that, there are many other things to do. Maybe I havn't played as long as you and you've got bored but the mechanic you are critisising was there from the start and will always be there.

You start by complaining they're giving a certain amount of free EP away then complain they aren't giving you enough, because you need to keep playing the game to obtain EP, make your mind up.

Look not being funny, but you are just running out of troll material. Go log on your real account so we can see the real affiliate you have to the game you seem to be defending so vehemently and worried about.

I'm sorry. MMOs keep me subbed with new content, not by holding me back. If you haven't used your EP, great! I however know how, and where to use it, in order to progress. Once you figure that out at as well, you'll see EP holding you up. As for the rest of your post, I care not to asnswer. sorry.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

yup

definitely no rush to endgame - thank goodness

good luck and buh-bye

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'm sorry. MMOs keep me subbed with new content, not by holding me back. If you haven't used your EP, great! I however know how, and where to use it, in order to progress. Once you figure that out at as well, you'll see EP holding you up. As for the rest of your post, I care not to asnswer. sorry.

How on earth can it hold me back, I'll be attaining it at exactly the same rate as everyone else in the game? I'm not sure you get the point of this tbh.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

How on earth can it hold me back, I'll be attaining it at exactly the same rate as everyone else in the game? I'm not sure you get the point of this tbh.

Originally the problem was that Perpetuum will at some point have a cash shop with cosmetic items.  Then it was that you can get early access, with an extra month of EP (cash shop item?  relative power affected?).  Then it was just that the people who started earlier than other people would always have more EP.  There was some discussion about accounts with the extra EP being sold by gold sellers because of the extra EP.

My take on it is that ellisdtrail doesn't like the game mechanics for a variety of reasons.  One being that they cannot start later than other players and through logging in for more hours be on par or beyond the older players in terms of progression.  The NIC needed for progression was not addressed.  Nor was any faction reputation type thing addressed.  Then there's the whole corporate competition thing. 

I think the Cash Shop will be fine, as well as the 1 month of extra EP for early subscribers.  Haven't heard about the Hello Kitty theme for robots yet, but I suspect that the answer for that will be, "No".

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    do you ppl notice that you are way offtopic in here ?

BestSigEver :P

Originally posted by cosy

no reason to start a new thread, as it pertains to micro-transactions in a round about way.

• MadGeloMadGelo Member UncommonPosts: 110

Right now, the game is based purely on keeping you subbed by limiting character progression. Severly. No matter what I do, in game or out, progression is gimped by an EP system that, for lack of better terms, was designed for the sole purpose of keeping a user subbed to the game. There are rewards for early access, none for an actual gamer, who actually plays the game, and has the time to do so.  I'm not rewarded by playing the game, nor what i'm doing in it, I'm rewarded by how long I have been *playing. That system may have worked a few years ago, but not now, not to me. 

/edit

*playing is the wrong word to use. How long I have been subscribded would be a better term. 

people in game have already estimated it would take 4-7 years to max out their characters.

if you dont like the game, why dont you go and play your WOW?

do you have some kind of ilness in your head that you just cant go away if you dont like it?

its like your girlfriend dumbed you for being crazy but you still keep stalking her?

get a life, or better yet, do  world a fauvour and end it completly

Originally posted by cosy

no reason to start a new thread, as it pertains to micro-transactions in a round about way.

Nooooo...not even I'm buying that.

This thread has moved on from the micro-transactions to character progression. 

The early access subscription is the cost of one month of play time, but you only get to play for a week (ahead of the release date).  However, you still get your one month's worth of EP.  It's the full price of the subscription, and it's not recurring.  I don't think it falls under the micro-transaction header.