Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hype for this game has been disabled until further notice.

Why??

How mutch do game developers have to pay mmorpg.com to allow users to cast a hype?

Do game developers need to be friends with the staff?

I know that corruption is everywere...but mmorpg.com doesnt hide it at all...these small companies with no friends in this forum staff and no money to pay are at disavantage...what a shame..

This is my opinion what is yours fellow mmorpg.com users?

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610

Well you could look at it the other way. The developers of Perpetuum have asked mmorpg not to make hype rating active as it might not get a good rating.

Hype rating is useless anyway.

• Originally posted by immodium

Well you could look at it the other way. The developers of Perpetuum have asked mmorpg not to make hype rating active as it might not get a good rating.

Hype rating is useless anyway.

Yes that is a good point.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3889152/MMORPG-hype-on-this-game.html

Think this might be the reasoning behind it though .

• MadGeloMadGelo Member UncommonPosts: 110

Originally posted by immodium

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3889152/MMORPG-hype-on-this-game.html

its just an excuse to get money out of perpetuum developers

they should just boycot this crappy site

the game is so good they dont realy need to advertize here.

Originally posted by Lwolf

Aye.

I cant stand people who earn money by voicing their opinons on something.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Aye.

whos buying opinions? i have a shitload.

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

What a fkin joke, mmorpg.com just took a massive credibility hit I'm affraid (considering with most people the site is little more than a bait and troll excercise it could ill afford it). I can't remember the last time I took part in an indy beta and wasn't asked to hype a game (good or bad) on mmorpg. MO, DF, FE, AoC of the top of my head for certain, I even remember the equivalent threads being posted here asking for the same thing of their communities but none of them were even given a second glance.

I have always stood up for this site when the calls of corruption were being touted but this is a real eye opener, I guess they just didn't pay enough.

Seriously that thread was started by an out and out troll who is simply very scared for some reason that his game is going to suffer due to PO and is using this site in a black market campaign against them, obviously the staff here have allowed themselves to be nothing more than mugged marks.

What a joke this site has become, double standards based on the size of your wallet.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

Originally posted by aleos

Aye.

whos buying opinions? i have a shitload.

Lol me too.

I'm talking about any persons/company who reviews things and earns money from it (game reviews, music, food, whatever).

• PsycroPsycro Member UncommonPosts: 8

Im a bit confused here.

I played the beta and really didn't like the game, but I do belive that they have the right to ask people to vote.  And on top of that they never told them how to vote.  However since he did ask them to vote on the PERPETUUM ONLINE FORUMS you would assume anyone interested in reading his post in some way found the game worthy of atleast some hype. 

Look at it this way... when there is an election and the canidated for said election put up signs, advertise what they are about and basiclly openly say on TV "Vote for me!" I dont ever see people saying they shouldnt be doing that. Hype is really just another version of campaigning. Why shouldn't these people have that right to "campaign" on a site dedicated to the explodation and discussion of MMOs.

The company that represents this game should not be looked down upon for these action, warned in any way shape of for  and nor should their hype meter be tinkered with in way. Otherwise you may as well just take down hype meters all together and change the sites name to www.dictatorofmmorpg.com and lose whatever credibility you may have in the game industly.

Originally posted by Psycro

Im a bit confused here.

I played the beta and really didn't like the game, but I do belive that they have the right to ask people to vote.  And on top of that they never told them how to vote.  However since he did ask them to vote on the PERPETUUM ONLINE FORUMS you would assume anyone interested in reading his post in some way found the game worthy of atleast some hype. 

Look at it this way... when there is an election and the canidated for said election put up signs, advertise what they are about and basiclly openly say on TV "Vote for me!" I dont ever see people saying they shouldnt be doing that. Hype is really just another version of campaigning. Why shouldn't these people have that right to "campaign" on a site dedicated to the explodation and discussion of MMOs.

The company that represents this game should not be looked down upon for these action, warned in any way shape of for  and nor should their hype meter be tinkered with in way. Otherwise you may as well just take down hype meters all together and change the sites name to www.dictatorofmmorpg.com and lose whatever credibility you may have in the game industly.

Becuase its an entirley different form of campaigning. Ones a game, the other is a voice that speaks for a thousand others.

All hype and reviews should be seen as is abit of fun, thats all. But it doesn't for some.

Ok ok here is a comparison for people who might have a hard time relate democracy to voting for a hype rating for whatever reason.

Ok, so let say there is a site caller www.sodapopconsumers.com. People buy pepsi, coke and generic cola everyday based on what they like more. This site says "vote for what one you like the most". Say pepsi co. and coca-cola dont ask anyone to vote for them or even one way or the other. However the generic cola company say "hey everyone go make sure you vote at www.sodapopconsumers.com" on their website. The only people looking at the generic cola's website are most likely those who like the generic stuff so most likely they will vote for it. Should the www.sodapopconstumers.com website lockdown or tell the generic soda pop company they can't/shouldn't advertise to there readers to vote (just to vote, not one way or the other) because pepsi co. and coca-cola didn't tell their readers they should vote? If the generic cola companies rating are higher than the rating of that of the other 2 competitor doesn't it seem more like its maybe, I don't know perhaps their own fault for not telling their readers they should go vote?!

Maybe more games in development should tell their beta tester to go vote on the hype meter as well. 

I totally understand the reason to vote on certain things. But going to the length of trying to push votes on computer gaming and, like in your other comparison drinks, its completely and utterly pointless.

Like I said it should be a bit of fun. People shouldn't be going out of their way to ask people to vote.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Maybe more games in development should tell their beta tester to go vote on the hype meter as well. 

And they do. What's is wrong with that?

I am not aware that MMORPG.COM was forbidding someone of doing so.

1) There is no way to enforce such policy.
    2) It would be ridiculous.

• Originally posted by immodium

I totally understand the reason to vote on certain things. But going to the length of trying to push votes on computer gaming and, like in your other comparison drinks, its completely and utterly pointless.

Like I said it should be a bit of fun. People shouldn't be going out of their way to ask people to vote.

Asking for people to vote is a way of making the game public, so more people talk about it, so more people know about it..and eventualy try it and maybe play it...

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

They do, they always have. That's the joke about this, I couldn't give 2 shits about this game I'll not be playing so I couldn't care less. What I hate is the hypocracy this site is displaying towards a small indy company, if this was Bliz's new mmo they did this to there'd be fkin upraor, this site would crash back to the middle ages from the nerdrage.

Sorry but for me this is the worst kind of corruption, they know that PO can do/say little or nothing without making it worse for them selves.

Don't worry go back to sleep, I'm sure any minute now John will be here to belay our fears about how 'you the reader make this site, we need income from adverts and we need members for that' etc, etc. Sounds great, your actions in this case however are completely contrary, talk is cheap and you'll be judged by your actions.

In this case I see nothing but a big site trying to extort money out of a smal dev company.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• mrmelonimrmeloni Member UncommonPosts: 236

They do, that's exactly what many games in development do.

going out of their way?

First of all Im not telling anyone to go vote for aything. Im just say, people seem to be under the impression that is someone is telling you that they should go vote for something that such a thing is bad etiqutte.

And if you refering to the GM from Perpetuum all he said was

"If you have not already rated Perpetuum at mmorpg.com please find your way there and help me boost the game rate/hype into the 8.0 or higher.

Thanks"

I would hardly call that "going out of the way" seems like a brief reminder to me.

And i I actully misread 1 word in the origional post that caused me to write my origional post. Just some of the responses to it were nonsense.

Originally posted by dorianyates

Asking for people to vote is a way of making the game public, so more people talk about it, so more people know about it..and eventualy try it and maybe play it...

But would they maybe play it if it was getting negative reviews/hype? I hope gamers would still maybe play the game regardless of what other people thought about the game.

I think you are out of your mind and spouting baseless and ridiculous accusations.

Hype voting was halted and value adjusted because of some jerk breaking forum rules. There is no more intrigues than that behind it.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Personally I couldn't care less, why or how some came to vote is insignificant to me.

On the other hand though I could see how some may view at as more or less fudging the numbers. However, that indicates they view it as some form of competition, why? Who knows...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

going out of their way?

First of all Im not telling anyone to go vote for aything. Im just say, people seem to be under the impression that is someone is telling you that they should go vote for something that such a thing is bad etiqutte.

And if you refering to the GM from Perpetuum all he said was

"If you have not already rated Perpetuum at mmorpg.com please find your way there and help me boost the game rate/hype into the 8.0 or higher.

Thanks"

I would hardly call that "going out of the way" seems like a brief reminder to me.

And i I actully misread 1 word in the origional post that caused me to write my origional post. Just some of the responses to it were nonsense.

Yes, claiming he was going out of his/her way to make a post on the internets is abit silly :)

• ellisdtrailsellisdtrails Member Posts: 84

Originally posted by Gdemami

I think you are out of your mind and spouting baseless and ridiculous accusations.

Hype voting was halted and value adjusted because of some jerk breaking forum rules. There is no more intrigues than that behind it.

Ty for the voice of reason. People here simply refuse to see that hype manipluation was going on and being OPENLY discussed on OPEN forums. A fan of the game discussed making MULTIPLE ACCOUNTS here in order to MANIPULATE hype. The RESPONSIBLE this to do, if their staff was concerned, would have been to report it. Did they?

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

Oh, EvE Onground.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

If a few votes for niche game cause issues maybe the other games lack hype votes? Or maybe the game is supernova about to explode? Or maybe other publishers do not care about their games?

Here is an idea - do not make voting absolute but relative. You will need to vote how much one game is superior to another game. Like Perpetuum has +10 PvE compared to WoW or +10 crafting compared to EvE. Just some tips for games to compare it against, honest.

This case shows how the hype voting is vulnerable the hype level arbitrary.

Originally posted by ellisdtrails
    if their staff was concerned, would have been to report it.

No, they would not. It is non of their business what you do or say outside of their forums and out of game.

Same as MMORPG.COM cannot, and it isn't, poking nose into other forums as some people misunderstood the issue that has been going on here.

This discussion has been closed.