Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you guys think about static bosses?

13»

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Originally posted by bazak

To your first block... the most apparent example of them contradicting themselves is the manifesto. 

Remember that part where they talk about how other games have centaurs or ogres or w/e sitting in a field when the quest giver claims they are ravaging a village?  Well what did the manifesto show you, they showed you centaurs running past random buildings and those buildings just magically exploding.  That is not going the extra mile, you aren't seeing the centaurs set up a way to blow up or chop down a bridge, they just run past a scripted tripwire and the bridge just blows up. 

A company that is motivated on going the extra mile would take the time and effort to script those centaurs to go actually destroy things, not just magically have things blow up when they run nearby.

bit of a problem with this i went and checked a lot of the time during the second explosions (first explosions are already happening when video starts and the centaurs are already past it) and a good 3 or so centaurs are blocked enough that you cant realy tell if they are doing anything (not saying that you definatly arent right but im gonna wait till the game comes out and i can see for myself without anything blocking my view if your opinion is indeed the correct one) *could be explosive arrows from the centaur with a bow but is just an idea and not remotely fact*

aside from that if the centaurs werent there there wouldnt be explosions so even if they are just passing a scripted trigger its still being caused by their presence and therefore they are ravaging those water pipes pretty badly (aside from that using the word magically exploding in your argument isnt a good idea considering the magical sort of setting in this game world who knows what is off screen).

(and if you are right lets not argue semantics about whether or not the centaurs are actualy ravaging a village because by your own admittance they tripped a script which caused the destruction of those pipes. combine all that together and assumeing im somehow magicly wrong and my logic is flawed its still a whole hell of a lot better than current mmo standards for this sort of thing)

*is now ready for the objectivity bomb to get dropped in its usual dud like puff of smoke*

Hehe, I agree, it does look a bit rubbish at that point in the mannifesto vid. But that's often the case with MMOs with such stand-ins. It's a small detail but I'm not judging much by it - only on how well thought-out the branching chains of DEs are is far far more important to me. That is really critical.

• bazakbazak Member UncommonPosts: 283

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

Originally posted by bazak

To your first block... the most apparent example of them contradicting themselves is the manifesto. 

Remember that part where they talk about how other games have centaurs or ogres or w/e sitting in a field when the quest giver claims they are ravaging a village?  Well what did the manifesto show you, they showed you centaurs running past random buildings and those buildings just magically exploding.  That is not going the extra mile, you aren't seeing the centaurs set up a way to blow up or chop down a bridge, they just run past a scripted tripwire and the bridge just blows up. 

A company that is motivated on going the extra mile would take the time and effort to script those centaurs to go actually destroy things, not just magically have things blow up when they run nearby.

bit of a problem with this i went and checked a lot of the time during the second explosions (first explosions are already happening when video starts and the centaurs are already past it) and a good 3 or so centaurs are blocked enough that you cant realy tell if they are doing anything (not saying that you definatly arent right but im gonna wait till the game comes out and i can see for myself without anything blocking my view if your opinion is indeed the correct one) *could be explosive arrows from the centaur with a bow but is just an idea and not remotely fact*

aside from that if the centaurs werent there there wouldnt be explosions so even if they are just passing a scripted trigger its still being caused by their presence and therefore they are ravaging those water pipes pretty badly (aside from that using the word magically exploding in your argument isnt a good idea considering the magical sort of setting in this game world who knows what is off screen).

(and if you are right lets not argue semantics about whether or not the centaurs are actualy ravaging a village because by your own admittance they tripped a script which caused the destruction of those pipes. combine all that together and assumeing im somehow magicly wrong and my logic is flawed its still a whole hell of a lot better than current mmo standards for this sort of thing)

*is now ready for the objectivity bomb to get dropped in its usual dud like puff of smoke*

Hehe, I agree, it does look a bit rubbish at that point in the mannifesto vid. But that's often the case with MMOs with such stand-ins. It's a small detail but I'm not judging much by it - only on how well thought-out the branching chains of DEs are is far far more important to me. That is really critical.

agreed so long as the event chains give the impression of a living world im happy.

(and on topic i will restate what i said a few pages back so long as a boss has a reason to be static i dun care so for shadow behemoth thats a yes lets see the shatterer? yep makes sense not much room for him to move there anyways whats he gonna do circle around behind the little ants biteing at his feet? or stand there and try to brush/fry to a crisp/smoosh them away.)

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Originally posted by Morcotulcon

There's an interview with Martin Kerstein. Here: http://guildwars-forum.onlinewelten....86&postcount=2

In this interview, translated to English in GuildWars2Guru.com, There's a question about this concern:

4) Are all bosses static? The shatterer did not move a single inch.

A: In a previous part of the event the shatterer is flying, but for the demo we wanted players to see the ground-fight. We will look into how much he can move while on the ground, but the engine has its restrictions.

My understanding: they know about that issue and will try to get more movement while fighting on the ground. And I got the feeling that there might have more other kinds of fighting, like when the Shaterer is flying from a low height, they might just don't have that ready for the demo and just showed how to fight him when he's on the ground in that place.

QFE 

Don't jump to conclusions people, they're working on more movement. Also not every boss has to be huge, waves are fun too, even in the shattere fight there are waves and waves of mobs to keep you on your toes.