Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LotRO is really F2P!

In the past few weeks, there've been quite a few people complaining about LotRO's F2P not being free at all. In my view, this is completely ridiculous. You can play EVERYTHING in the game, including Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, completely for free. It doesn't even take an inhuman effort to amass enough points for this. Below is a link to a guide about how to play LotRO completely free, without ever paying a dime, without an excessive amount of grinding, and with Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood completely free:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330/440831-guide-playing-free.html

As far as working the deeds goes, it should be said paying customers also completed those deeds before LotRO became F2P for the virtues and titles they granted. In other words, they're not something only free players do because they refuse to pay, but they are also commonly done by paying customers for the virtues and titles.

Comments

• ShqipShqip Member Posts: 61

Even though I subscribe to lotro the way he explains how to get even the expansions for free is amazing and a "shut up" to whoever was saying lotro f2p is just an extended trial.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    That's a great guide thanks mate.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Originally posted by Haggis13

In the past few weeks, there've been quite a few people complaining about LotRO's F2P not being free at all. In my view, this is completely ridiculous. You can play EVERYTHING in the game, including Mines of Moria and Mirkwood, completely for free. It doesn't even take an inhuman effort to amass enough points for this. Below is a link to a guide about how to play LotRO completely free, without ever paying a dime, without an excessive amount of grinding, and with Mines of Moria and Siege of Mirkwood completely free:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/lotro-free-play-discussion-1330/440831-guide-playing-free.html

As far as working the deeds goes, it should be said paying customers also completed those deeds before LotRO became F2P for the virtues and titles they granted. In other words, they're not something only free players do because they refuse to pay, but they are also commonly done by paying customers for the virtues and titles.

Very nice guide and in a perfect world we wouldn't have to see any more posts about how lotro f2p model is a scam.  A few things to add about Turbine points is that they are account wide so if you play on more than one server the points still add up and what I think others may not realize or think of often is that in many cases the slayer deeds from the earlier zones can be achieved to advanced in as little as an hour for many of them.

I enjoy being a subcriber to LOTRO but I can certainly see now why there are so many free to play players that are still around.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Lonelands is now down to 50TP from the 350TP used in the link, that is significiant as it means you can handpick 20-60 annoying deeds and ignore them. Also keep in mind that its still alot of work, though on the other hand you might catch some sales aswell which could lead to very significantly less farming needed.

• Redline65Redline65 Member Posts: 486

It's a nice guide I suppose, and definitely do-able. But I can't imagine how long that would take. Especially the part where you get to completing all the deeds in BG, CD, and Uru. Does anyone even run those anymore? Best way to do this would be in a group with 5 other like-minded people, for sure.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

Amazing. So you get about 2k TP for "free". You buy the quest packs and end up at grand zero.

Your look at your character and realize it  is hopelessly gimped, it has only a small fraction of trait slots, limited access to crafting, gold cap that fills in an hour or three, lacks basic storage space, has very limited skirmish access, no auction access, no PvP access, very tedious and at places absent travel. You ran out of decent deeds to grind TP on. You just dug up a hole your are not getting out of.

Time to put your gimp into freezer and roll a real one.

Maybe you should play LOTRO and do not try to transplant your DDO experience where it does not belong. 2k is barely enough to un-gimp your character. Quests are just part of the shop. I would argue that ungimping the character is more important than levelling quests, half of them are not much fun, main story is for free anyway, the travelling negates quest XP you get over simple mob grinding and you get better gear from crafting.

• UW1975UW1975 Member Posts: 183

Originally posted by Redline65

It's a nice guide I suppose, and definitely do-able. But I can't imagine how long that would take. Especially the part where you get to completing all the deeds in BG, CD, and Uru. Does anyone even run those anymore? Best way to do this would be in a group with 5 other like-minded people, for sure.

Not sure about BG, but CD and URU are run regularly, at least in my kin, because of the level 45 class items quest.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I don't mind paying for stuff,

I'd love to see a guide that tells me which essentials to buy on the road to max level...   Espescially which content to buy and which content  to not buy......... I hate XP grinding, i love Quest grinding

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Originally posted by Tyrrhon

Amazing. So you get about 2k TP for "free". You buy the quest packs and end up at grand zero.

Your look at your character and realize it  is hopelessly gimped, it has only a small fraction of trait slots, limited access to crafting, gold cap that fills in an hour or three, lacks basic storage space, has very limited skirmish access, no auction access, no PvP access, very tedious and at places absent travel. You ran out of decent deeds to grind TP on. You just dug up a hole your are not getting out of.

Time to put your gimp into freezer and roll a real one.

Maybe you should play LOTRO and do not try to transplant your DDO experience where it does not belong. 2k is barely enough to un-gimp your character. Quests are just part of the shop. I would argue that ungimping the character is more important than levelling quests, half of them are not much fun, main story is for free anyway, the travelling negates quest XP you get over simple mob grinding and you get better gear from crafting.

The quest packs are needed to increase the deeds you can earn over the 5+ characters you will need to level to fully ungimp a character. For someone with altitis this is like a walk in the park. For someone that focuses on a single character it is the worst grind possible for him.

Come on man, there is this little icon that pops up in bottom right corner which tells you what to buy, like new trait unlock or regional quest pack or gold cap removal. It never tells you to buy cosmetics or pots or stat tomes, the more optional offers, just the basics.

If you find that too much and need to cut back on expenses, get a sub. All F2P discussions eventually end up with "buy Moria box" and "get a sub" for a reason.

• DaakkonDaakkon Member UncommonPosts: 607

I get a database error whenever I click the link.

I'm a VIP please explain how free & premiums have "limited access" to crafting? Also things like trait slots, gold/ah restriction removal are really cheap why even bring them up when you could easily buy them as you play naturally? As for swift travel it becomes available to all players this month and monster play goes on the shop Q1 2011. I'm not seeing a problem with Turbines pay as you go model.

Also Virtues are overrated. They where important at pre Legendary item level 50, but they did not scale at all to level 65 so nowadays they are pretty much a joke at maxlevel. Doesn't hurt to have, but the stats are utter crap.

If we accept that virtues are overrated, it means that there is no good reason to grind deeds for a sane player and major assumption in this thread crumbles away, making deeds only good for grinding TP at snail pace.

Even then, there are still other traits that need unlocking and they will consume 1200 TP per character (sans virtues). It is not much but it is not free, it does not include account unlocks, and the guide is so tight on TP you will not get any single unlock, just the listed quests.

Oh, I just noticed the guide assumes TWO characters to level 65, both grinding quite a lot of kill 450 rats deeds and large part of Moria instance deeds - gimps none wants grinding many unpopular instances, twice.

Man... I just want to enjoy a AAA mmorpg and not have to pay a sub all the time to keep playing. I have no issue spending cash in the shop for stuff so turbine could keep adding more content to the game. Seriously the people that bit h about lotro not being 100% free are starting to annoy me.

• Haggis13Haggis13 Member Posts: 117

If we accept that virtues are overrated, it means that there is no good reason to grind deeds for a sane player and major assumption in this thread crumbles away, making deeds only good for grinding TP at snail pace.

Even then, there are still other traits that need unlocking and they will consume 1200 TP per character (sans virtues). It is not much but it is not free, it does not include account unlocks, and the guide is so tight on TP you will not get any single unlock, just the listed quests. Oh, and you stop with Moria.

Virtues are far from overrated. If you add up all stats from all virtues you can equip simultaneously, you are effectively wearing a second suit of armour. Go and tell me that's not worth the effort and you might as well quit playing altogether.

Have you read the guide? It stops after Moria, because you have just bought Mirkwood. That means that 1) there is still plenty of content to get TP from in Mirkwood, 2) you can easily get way more TP if you buy the quest packs when they're cheap, and 3) the unlocks in the guide are account-wide, so after completing them, you can re-roll a character and have a fully ungimped character with the TP you make from that character.

Originally posted by Haggis13

Even then, there are still other traits that need unlocking and they will consume 1200 TP per character (sans virtues). It is not much but it is not free, it does not include account unlocks, and the guide is so tight on TP you will not get any single unlock, just the listed quests. Oh, and you stop with Moria.

Virtues are far from overrated. If you add up all stats from all virtues you can equip simultaneously, you are effectively wearing a second suit of armour. Go and tell me that's not worth the effort and you might as well quit playing altogether.

Have you read the guide? It stops after Moria, because you have just bought Mirkwood. That means that 1) there is still plenty of content to get TP from in Mirkwood, 2) you can easily get way more TP if you buy the quest packs when they're cheap, and 3) the unlocks in the guide are account-wide, so after completing them, you can re-roll a character and have a fully ungimped character with the TP you make from that character.

Oh please. If a bunch of level 50 virtues add up to a second set of level 65 armor, then they would have been worth about 4 sets of level 50 armor. Why where we even wearing armor at level 50 if 4/5 of our stats came from virtues?

Virtues are overrated in the sense that you need all of them all the time. In reality Virtues are very specific, you slot 2 shadow mitigation virtues in BG, or melee mitigation if your a tank. But if you get the 30 might of discipline or not, bah, thats literally less than a single % of damage, purely into the realms of theorycrafting. Same for 30 Will or 30 fate or pretty much anything they bring to the table.

Even the 30 Vitality of the hailed loyality is only 90 Morale for most classes, you can't really believe that +-90 morale is going to matter 99% of the times with a healtpool between 3-4k. Like i said, those virtues are balanced around a level 50 pre moria pre traits char, nowadays that we have 2-3x(or even more) of stats on items, up to 20% and more damage from legendaries and traitlines that give another huge boost they are literally insignificiant.

The only ones of interest are +armor, +mitigations/+resists and maybe +morale because they are not subject to the caps placed on actual stats like might and agility. I mean don't get me wrong, they do not hurt, and they are free after all. But there is no content in the game that requires virtues, they are several floors below importance compared to traits/items/LIs or having a buffclass like a captain around.

Hmm reading that again it sounds like im hating on virtues, im not, ofcourse i use them myself. One just has to be aware that they have not scaled at all since pre moria and unlike traits they are not percentage based, so with every level increase they have become less important. And they where never more important than gear even in their glory days of level 50.