Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One man made a better game than modern day MMO companies make

13»

Comments

• lucianbonnlucianbonn Member Posts: 48

Minecraft is great,

its developer not so much. I'm going to have to take the side of the butthurt fans on this one. He's wronged us a few times. Most of us would be fine had we not payed for and tested the game. I guess theres just something wrong in some peoples opinions that the developer of a game would slap the multiplayer community in the face by adding more features unusable in multiplayer and not fixing the one that should have been fixed a while ago. I mean, sure lots of people are anit-social when it comes to minecraft, it didn't get the nick name "Autismcraft" for nothing, but honestly, this game, though it was originally intended to be multiplayer (see minecraft classic) is still very singleplayer. So I'm just putting this out there: Notch will never be able to make Minecraft an MMO, Sure its massive, sure its multiplayer, and sure it can be PLAYED online, but the only way it can reach MMO or even Massively Multiplayer Sandbox game is through community mods. 

For example, the current "up-to-date" iteration of multiplayer minecraft is called Survival Multiplayer or SMP for short. In reality, its just Creative mode 2.0, because theres no survival, health doesn't work. If health doesn't work, then the game loses its fun, the "exploration" part of it at least. However, there are some modders in the multiplayer community that have fixed 50% of the bugs notch failed to fix, and even though for some bugs its simply a matter of streamlining the already written code into the game, Notch still hasn't. Why he hasn't is beyond me.

Edit: I'd advise playing Lego Universe before minecraft, at least for now. 

• Ralphie2449Ralphie2449 Member UncommonPosts: 574

I dont really get mincecraft, it reminds me a lot of facebook games which are based on targeting a specific group and phycology gameplay.

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538

OP,  the concept of FUN is subjective. There are patterns in which is mostly deemed as fun however. Minecraft is not original really, its not even designed intelligently. Its just a low graphics sand box with no real goal or challenge for the player. 

It is no more special than a box of randomly assorted Legos. So whats does MineCraft have to do with mmorpgs? Nothing. 

Your point is moot.

That said...what can be learned, rather reminded, from MineCraft's low level success? That players, if given the right setting, will create their own content and goals. Games in general tend to push these on the player. Sadly, the majority of next generation players tend to like this form of "hand holding" or linear and obvious gameplay. It is for this reason alone MineCraft will not be able to reach the success level of some of the higher profile games out there. This is neither good or bad, it just is. Not all games appeal to all audiences. 

It would be nice to have that type of stupid, low ruleset element in more mmorpgs and games in general, where the player has more freedoms to do what they want. They have been trying to address player created content in persistent online games for awhile now, however any semblance of balance or control goes out the window. Its not easy.

Anyways, you give Minecraft too much credit without really logically putting it in the right contrast with the games you claim it is better than. Its an interesting low level sand box game, and more power to indie developers, but lets keep it all in the realm of reality.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Better? Hard to define, but I say no. I play RPGs, MMO and SP for character progression, growth and development. So I say no, Minecraft is no better than any MMO out.

More successful? Now that we can quantify, easily and yes, Minecraft is more successful than some MMOs.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Originally posted by lucianbonn

I mean, sure lots of people are anit-social when it comes to minecraft, it didn't get the nick name "Autismcraft" for nothing,  

Not that I'm going to ever win any nominations for my sarcasm and wit but that is one incredibly lame nickname.  Seriously?  It doesn't even flow.

I'm very disappointed in the disgruntled players of this game.  They usually come up with much better snipes at the game they're targeting.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

I love minecraft, bought it without even playing classic. I watched some youtube videos, a few lets plays, and looked at the price. For one months sub to an MMO, I got a game that im having so much fun with, for me, that was well worth the purchase. I guess some will love it, some will like it, and some will be indifferent. Different strokes for different folks.

As for it being better than a modern MMO, subjective to the viewer. While I have spent a great deal of time in Minecraft, when I was playing an MMO I enjoyed, I spent more time playing it in a 24 hour cycle.

I will share a tip I learned recently however, if you want to make a secure holding and not risk the midnight run from your spawn to where you last died, mark where you spawn by digging the north, south, east and west blocks, and go hunt some trees and coal, when you have a small hut with light and some tools, dig down, right down, to the bedrock. 5x5 stairwell, 3x3 wall, with the centre hollowed out with a ladder and you can begin to farm diamond, redstone, iron and coal, not to mention lava as you branch out from below. Put in a minecart and tracks with a booster or three and you can reach surface and your mine swiftly. Every few days go topside and harvest some tree's, and remember to reforest the area so that you can keep a supply of wood, use wood blocks for furnace duty (not raw logs, what the log turns into) as its a renewable resource (YAY fossil fuels!)

I fear that I may have some mild form of autism, due to me doing to do two things, 1. Allows me to keep the overall integrity of the gameworld intact (Nature upsoilt except for my innocuous hut) and 2. The stairwell I build is all of one type, the minecart rides on rails of wooden blocks, and I try to keep the aesthetics of my underground mine in some semblence of symetry.

Do not buy if you constantly rearrange your furniture, because Creepers will make you cry.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by lucianbonn

Minecraft is great,

its developer not so much. I'm going to have to take the side of the butthurt fans on this one. He's wronged us a few times. Most of us would be fine had we not payed for and tested the game. I guess theres just something wrong in some peoples opinions that the developer of a game would slap the multiplayer community in the face by adding more features unusable in multiplayer and not fixing the one that should have been fixed a while ago. I mean, sure lots of people are anit-social when it comes to minecraft, it didn't get the nick name "Autismcraft" for nothing, but honestly, this game, though it was originally intended to be multiplayer (see minecraft classic) is still very singleplayer. So I'm just putting this out there: Notch will never be able to make Minecraft an MMO, Sure its massive, sure its multiplayer, and sure it can be PLAYED online, but the only way it can reach MMO or even Massively Multiplayer Sandbox game is through community mods. 

For example, the current "up-to-date" iteration of multiplayer minecraft is called Survival Multiplayer or SMP for short. In reality, its just Creative mode 2.0, because theres no survival, health doesn't work. If health doesn't work, then the game loses its fun, the "exploration" part of it at least. However, there are some modders in the multiplayer community that have fixed 50% of the bugs notch failed to fix, and even though for some bugs its simply a matter of streamlining the already written code into the game, Notch still hasn't. Why he hasn't is beyond me.

Edit: I'd advise playing Lego Universe before minecraft, at least for now. 

Seriously.. The game is in alpha, and you expect multiplayer to be flawless or what+ I don't get you. You're playing an alpha game.You have absolutely no rights to whine about anything. W

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Minecraft is a fun sandbox. But its not an mmorpg. Nothing wrong with that, but it def doesnt replace any mmorpgs on my rotation.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

I did think these forums would obsess about Minecraft. I first posted a link to it and only got 11 replies and very dismissive of it- now its got pretty popular here.

• MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Minecraft has inspired me to start creating an MMO.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

Minecraft is a really amazing game. I think every gamer should give it a go, and I'd love to see an MMO developed around the concept.

Actually, there are role play Minecraft servers where people try to replicate the MMO feeling in the game.

• DarkcrystalDarkcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 963

The people saying this game would be better if a bigger company made it makes me laugh, bigger companies would of never thought of teh idea, they only make the same old crap and make it liek crap, people like this game, make it so people can enjoy there gamesor game with out all the BS..

I for one dislike minecraft but being in the buisness, it was very well made and a guy who did it alone, anyone who bashes him are just jealous they do not have the skill even to start a game engine or even come close to making there own game..

He sold 500,000 copies and did it alone, I give this person alot of respect, most games today with big teams can't even sell that many copys so bash the game because he sold a alpa... so what most games today are released and there still in alpa stage.... So at leats this guy calls it alpa most games today , should not be released, they should be called ALPA still and we paid for them so , stop whining, I bet most  of you bashing this never even played it, and some of you are just plain jealous of the man....

I like to see more people do this and most gamers that have any sense are sick of the big companies including myself..

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

The people saying this game would be better if a bigger company made it makes me laugh, bigger companies would of never thought of teh idea, they only make the same old crap and make it liek crap, people like this game, make it so people can enjoy there gamesor game with out all the BS..

Yet watch all the companies spewing out copy-cat games if Minecraft indeed takes off and isn't a "passing fad"... and then finding ways to monetize the hell out of the players.  "Want to dig a hole? We have downloadable content for that, for only $10! Want to build a staircase? We have downloadable content for that, for only $10!"

That's the truly sad part.

All most big developers are good at is waiting around for someone else to come up with the original idea, and then raping it for all its worth.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

I love Minecraft.  It's such a refreshing change of pace from everything else thats out there.  

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Originally posted by WSIMike

Originally posted by Darkcrystal

Yet watch all the companies spewing out copy-cat games if Minecraft indeed takes off and isn't a "passing fad"... and then finding ways to monetize the hell out of the players.  "Want to dig a hole? We have downloadable content for that, for only $10! Want to build a staircase? We have downloadable content for that, for only $10!"

That's the truly sad part.

All most big developers are good at is waiting around for someone else to come up with the original idea, and then raping it for all its worth.

Sadly, that is game development from big houses these days, just like Hollywood, you find some indie creation, then blow some massive budget in copying it, throwing gobs of money at it, and brutally destroying the original experience and make it 'accessible' to the casual audience, ie, making it easy for the dumbshits to follow with as few challenges to their limited intellectual capacity so as to not encourage free thought and merely allow them to enjoy the shiny things and explosions.

I hope to god these bloated corpulent diseased behemoths die, their business model is buried deep, and indie developers make new houses that are based on inspiration and creativity and not mindless drones slaving away to copy their way to the next big thing.

Im enjoying playing minecraft so much, I had already cancelled my subs to MMO's and am biding my time until something comes along that takes me attention away from this rare gem.

Also, DLC, I read something humorous about that, one person was talking about how DLC cost as much as a burger meal from a fast food place, and that is probably why its so prevalent in the industry, for the price of a happy meal, you can play new content! (Nevermind that we shipped you half a game and are now charging you for the things we promised in development >_> LOOK ECKSPLOSHUNS!!!!11` )