Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Poll) Your favorite GW class and will it effect your GW2 class choice?

OmgZombiesOmgZombies Member Posts: 141

What was your favorite class in guild wars 1, and will it effect your decision in GW2?  

Will you stay with your favorite class, or will you try something new to you or just for a change of pace?

Mine was Mesmer, and I'm assuming that it'll be a returning class, so I'll be rolling it again for GW2.  ;)

Comments

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Dervish was my favorite GW class. That is not returning, at least not in the current incarnation, so it really doesn't affect my class choice. However, I do prefer melee characters.

• peacekraftpeacekraft Member Posts: 189

My favourite character from GW 1 is my warrior and I will probably be playing one in GW2.

Though I must say I do really like the ritualist class and am interested to see how much of the ritualist makes it into what ever GW2 classes are yet to be announced.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Ranger has allways been my favourite in GW, so I'll probably play as a Ranger in GW2  :3

I've allways been a sucker for the ranged/pet class  xD

• renireni Member UncommonPosts: 32

Got to say I love the ritualist, though I doubt it will be in GW2, probably will end up playing a ranger

• RobertDinhRobertDinh Member Posts: 647

Nope, they are 2 different games, I will play whatever class I feel has the highest skill cap balanced with how effective the class can be as well. 

• n3verendRn3verendR Member UncommonPosts: 452

I am for once completely on the same boat as RobertDinh.

Highest skill cap/most stunt capability in PvP.

My class in GW1 was technically Ritualist since it can carry groups with little to no effort. Obviously there will be nothing of that sort in GW2 since every class weve seen holds an ideally equivalent share of the pie in GW2 in terms of group viability.

So no, it will not - but I sure am having fun picking my rit back up in the last few weeks. Some of the Halloween stuff is pretty hard too, which I've never actually played.

P.S. Also, the dervish was cool looking like no other - would love to see some of their aesthetics make it in to the game.

People think it's fun to pretend your a monster. Me I spend my life pretending I'm not. - Dexter Morgan

• invaderzladinvaderzlad Member Posts: 19

I <3 my Mesmer!

And there better be one in GW2!!!

www.gamersbook.com - Community for Gamers.

• ZeroxinZeroxin Member UncommonPosts: 2,515

I don't have a favourite class, PvP has made me crazy with builds and focusing on each class's strenghts that I can say all of them are pretty damn good.

I'll be playing all the classes and pwning newbs with them.

This is not a game.

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Necromancer is my main in GW so I'll definitely be playing that again in GW2. I love my Ritualist too but that's not going to appear. I'm hoping they've merged some of the ideas from the ritualist in to either the Necro or a new support class.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Lol, I couldn't really vote for a favorite because I like several for different reasons...

I was probably most effective overall in PvP as a Dervish, and I also enjoyed that class aesthetically the most, I'd say.

My most often played character was an Elementalist, so I was fond of them mostly by virtue of them being my first/most played.

The class I like the idea of (but not necessarily how it was implemented in the game) would be Mesmer - I think that class had a lot more potential from an artistic and utility perspective than just what ended up being plain DoTs and conditions.  I should be able to create multiple false images of myself, or make the victim believe he's in some nightmarish situation, and that should be displayed visually somehow.

So since I couldn't decide on a favorite class, I guess that means it won't effect my class choices for GW2 lol.  I'll admittedly try those classes among my first alts if they make it in (Elementalist may or may not be my first GW2 character).

• EudaimonEudaimon Member UncommonPosts: 116

Another one to add to the heap  - mesmer was my favourite GW class, and I hope to play that (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) in GW2.

Ranger was also fun in GW, though I'm not sure that, in GW2, it's following the same kinds of ideas it was in GW

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

I voted for Necromancer, but it definitely will not effect my choice for GW2.  Too be honest, GW2 Necromancers dig the graves of just about every class (in other games) I have ever played (I played the demo) and it would be just wrong not to play it based on its own merits.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

It wont affect my choise since i quited Gw 1 after playing 2-3 weeks. The fact im playing ranger in ddo,Nwn series,oblivion  and  hunter in wow and rl sniper will surely affect my choise..Im guessing it will be...a RANGER

• therez0therez0 Member Posts: 379

I voted ele in the poll, mostly because that was my first char in GW1, and the char with the most playtime.

Like others have said, I like all of the classes for one reason or another (except necro... for some reason I just could never get to liking them). Mostly because GvG forced me to focus more about the group dynamic of builds/skills and the player's skill rather than the individual professions. I ended up playing every profession and found the derv to be one of the most effective and aesthetically appealing when I was playing solo, so I'm hoping for a derv in an expansion.

For GW2 classes, I highly doubt I will play an ele as my main... I really don't agree with the attunement system forcing you to play all the elements in order to be effective. I loved my air ele because it matched the character/story in my head, and with the attunements, I doubt I will be able to play the lightning mage I want to play. Also, no swords on the ele is also kinda a deal-breaker too.

So, for my first char in GW2 I'm thinking a Sylvari, but probably one of the classes not announced yet (something with magic and a sword).

But my second character for sure is going to be an Asura ranger using melee weapons.

• IthiIthi Member Posts: 43

Ritualist is far and away my favorite class in GW, and so far it is not going to be appearing in GW2.  Hopefully there will be some aspects of this marvelous class incorporated in the classes in the new game, but who knows?

The classes which have been revealed so far are all so exciting and new, it will be hard to pick which one to play, actually.  I think the things I like about ritualist--the survivability and versatility of it--will be available to me, no matter what class I pick in GW2.

• SponxySponxy Member Posts: 6

Played and loved Ranger since beta-weekends. :)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ranger but I am not so sure that I will play one in GW2. The reason for that is that they force you to have a pet all the time, I usually prefer to have builds without pets.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by tazarconan

It wont affect my choise since i quited Gw 1 after playing 2-3 weeks. The fact im playing ranger in ddo,Nwn series,oblivion  and  hunter in wow and rl sniper will surely affect my choise..Im guessing it will be...a RANGER

You do know that they moved a lot of the ranged combat things to Warrior?

Rangers can't use rifles to mention one thing. Is it the pet you want, go for the ranger but if it is a great ranged weapon fighter you want you might consider warrior as well.

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

My all time favorite is the Ritualist, however my main is an Elementalist and I use him way more than my Rit. So far I'm stuck between the Necro and the Ele for GW2. I like how the Necros can summon things, I just don't like the death, dark, evil feel of them. I really like the Elementalists generic mage feel, however I wish they could summon things lol.

• DoktorianDoktorian Member Posts: 131

Originally posted by Loke666

Ranger but I am not so sure that I will play one in GW2. The reason for that is that they force you to have a pet all the time, I usually prefer to have builds without pets.

Your build won't consist of pet things, they have their own seperate builds.

• Elox1Elox1 Member Posts: 211

Here's my thoughts on the classes in GW1:

Warrior: My favorite class from GW1.  I really enjoy the survivability, adrenalin usage, and by far the coolest armor skins in the game.  (Currently have 4 elite armors on my Warrior, will have a fifth before GW2 hits).

Mesmer: An interesting class with a great deal of versatility.  I liked using the Mesmer a lot in PvP and their single target gameplay is a blast.  Unfortunately I felt generally that in group pve situations that the Mesmer just didn't quite bring enough to the table.  

Necromancer: Playing a MM can be fun as it feels like you're always busy upkeeping all your minions and the Necro usually has a great build for any situation.  My dislikes for the Necro is that many of the builds weren't the funnest to play.

Monk: I actually really enjoyed healing with my monk all the way through prophecies for my elementalist friend that liked to tank without taking tanking skills.  Made it into a 55 monk and that was fun too.  Overall a lot of versatility and different playstyles.  Absolutely hated playing my monk in pvp though.

Ranger: Fun class but barrage builds were very boring and unfortunately quite effective as well.  Traps felt a little underpowered or maybe just too time consuming.  Had some fun with R/N touch builds though.  Pets are fun to collect as well. 

Elementalist: Actually didn't enjoy my Ele very much.  Nuking could be fun but AOE nuking got hit hard with scatter AI updates and it really lost a lot of it's appeal for me at that point.  

Assassin: Really enjoyed playing my Assassin through factions other than the fact that everyone hated assassins at launch of factions because so many ppl played them like warriors.  Had a ton of fun in PvP with the assassin, very deadly.

Ritualist: Would have like to explore the ritualist some more as they were very underrated at release and make for a great support character that can deal the pain too.  Did not enjoy playing my Rit in PvP at all.

Dervish: Fun character with an interesting mechanic and cool aesthetics.  Lots of interesting builds available.  Good in PvP too.

Paragon: Probably my second favorite class from GW1.  Great survivability, support and more often than not the last man standing.  

Overall I am currently leaning towards a Warrior but I'm very interested to see what the second soldier class turns out to be.  Ranger is looking fairly interesting as well at this point.  Can't wait to see what the next 4 classes are.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

Rangers can't use rifles to mention one thing. Is it the pet you want, go for the ranger but if it is a great ranged weapon fighter you want you might consider warrior as well.

Seriously?????? :O

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

probably going to end up playing most of the classes, though I was a mesmer and ele in gw1 and will try them first in gw2

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Originally posted by Venomzer0

probably going to end up playing most of the classes, though I was a mesmer and ele in gw1 and will try them first in gw2

Favorite GW1 class was Mesmer and I'll playing one again if they return to GW2.  And since I'll playing every class in GW2 at least once, the only question is the order in which I'll play them.  I have an imaginary class/race link in my head so that will probably influence my decision.  My first race will either be Norn or Sylvari, so my class will have to fit with a concept involving one of those races.  Right now, it's a Norn Warrior.  Tomorrow it may be a Sylvari Mesmer.  I'll know for certain the first time I sit down with the character creator and start playing.

• UnlightUnlight Member Posts: 2,540

Seriously?????? :O

I think I read that Warrior ranged skills are heavily canted towards AoE, whereas Rangers have much more diverse ranged skills and are focused on single target damage and control.  It sounds like Artillery versus Sniper.  Can't remember where I saw this so take it with a grain of salt.