Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LF something with an engaging and interesting story.

jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Excluding WoW and LOTRO, since those seem to be the biggies as far as lore content goes, can anyone suggest a good MMO that has the kind of storyline that really compels you to keep playing to see how the details unfold? I'm stuck on EQ2 (for about the fifth time), and I think it's because there really isn't a cohesive storyline to get into and follow. Either that or I haven't found it yet.

So what are good story-heavy MMOs?

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Comments

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Well the obvious answer is Star Wars: The Old Republic. But that's not due out until spring 2011, if they release on schedule. That of course is debateble but who knows they may well make it on time. It's the only MMO that I'm aware of that is either scheduled for release in the near future or currently out where story is a primary concern.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

Yeah, I dunno about that game. I won't even touch it until it's been out a few months and has been vetted by the players at large. I'm looking for something that's out now, though.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

How is FF14's story content? I know the game has issues, was panned by reviewers, and caused a $26 million rage quit, but it seems all the problems I'm reading about are technical. Can anyone recommend it based on story/lore content?

• kirawatskirawats Member Posts: 57

I find stories in Guild Wars series are fun and engaging. You could give it a free trial and see how you think.

FF14 stories seem fun so far, and they start out differently in three main cities. The stories will stop and start every 5 or 10 levels as it seems. I didn't get far through it, thought, because I was so bored with the gameplay, and UI lag kinda annoy me.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

Tried Age of Conan?

Story is kinda on and off, but it goes from start to lvl 80, with shorter or larger breaks inbetween. Plus, all who like MMOs and storys should enjoy Tortage pretty good!

Originally posted by Destiny2010

Tried Age of Conan?

Story is kinda on and off, but it goes from start to lvl 80, with shorter or larger breaks inbetween. Plus, all who like MMOs and storys should enjoy Tortage pretty good!

Appreciate the suggestion. I should have mentioned I played AoC, too. I liked it okay, but the idea of going through Tortage again irks me. If they develop an expansion with another starting area, I might give it another go. Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy Tortage, but I don't relish the idea of being forced to repeat the exact same 20 levels before hitting stuff I've never seen before.

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

You could always get Eve Online and join a roleplaying corporation. Sure, there are no stories, or at least what they have in the pve missions are horrible, but if you're in a roleplaying corp you can make your own stories. I guess you could join a roleplaying guild in any mmorpg and say the same, but in a sandbox like Eve, the story that does exist doesn't get in the way too much of what you create yourself. I'm not sure that would work for you, but it's a thought.