Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Server Maintenance Reduced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to the latest EVE Online developer blog from CCP Hunter, the daily server downtime since launch has been approaching an hour. However, beginning November 1st, the daily server downtime and maintenance time will be reduced to half that, thirty minutes. Daily server maintenance is necessary to keep the database structure in good working order.

What has been done to reduce downtime?

In the old days, systems in EVE Online were built on the fact that there was daily downtime. In the last few years no new code has been produced that relies on downtime and a great deal of work has been done in removing old dependencies on downtime. You could say that we are still paying for past sins.

In addition to this we have worked on the cluster shutdown procedure and startup procedure so that the cluster goes down and up faster.

Read the full blog on how the reduction came about here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• m3tam3ta Member Posts: 59

"paying for past sins", and they will continue to pay for having a MSSQL.

• VoltureXVoltureX Member UncommonPosts: 13

What about once a week CCP?

• saucelahsaucelah Member Posts: 64

The downtime has never affected me at all.  It makes one of my corpmates in the Netherlands take a break for lunch every day -- doesn't bother him either though.  

Playing: Eve, LoL
    Played: EQ, SWG, EQII, MxO,DDO CoX, WoW, & LoTRO
    Awaiting: GW2, Rift, Earthrise, TOR

• ArpatArpat Member UncommonPosts: 27

Originally posted by m3ta

"paying for past sins", and they will continue to pay for having a MSSQL.

ah, another one dwelling in the past. LOL. so sad...

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Originally posted by saucelah

The downtime has never affected me at all.  It makes one of my corpmates in the Netherlands take a break for lunch every day -- doesn't bother him either though.  

It makes the Aussies :RAGE: tho, because it hits right in the middle of their prime time.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    there should be a daily downtime for the good of player base, the DT allow user to eat, take a shower, say hi to teh family, feed the dog etc

BestSigEver :P

• imershonimershon Member UncommonPosts: 73

Daily downtime was one of the reasons I left EVE as it was right in the middle of my playing time and CCP won't even CONSIDER occasionally moving it around so as not to inconenience the same gamers ALL THE TIME. The zero downtime goal may assist in my re-considering playing it.

DEFINITION OF REALITY: Graphics ok, Sound ok, Gold drops need more work...

• blythegablythega Member UncommonPosts: 174

I am an Aussie and quit Eve for this very reason. 

Tthe downtime is right in my Prime time of play. i.e. I would get home from work to sit down and play for several hours and BANG .. down it would go. 

CCP needs to look at some other solution i.e. active/active for clustering refresh daily so as a consumer it does not interfere with service.

• illutianillutian Member UncommonPosts: 343

Could be worse...it could be an 8hr downtime once a week all in one lump-sum; God help you if you got 'that' day off.

Our greatest glory is not in never falling but in rising everytime we fall.

• gurbygurby Member UncommonPosts: 12

Originally posted by cosy

there should be a daily downtime for the good of player base, the DT allow user to eat, take a shower, say hi to teh family, feed the dog etc

get a  Snake... only need to eat once a week !! as for the family, feed the to the snake!!

If You Stand Against An ARMY,
    Stand FAST And STRONG!
    If Stand Against A Single MAN,
    Stand HARD And LONG!
    If Stand Against YOURSELF,
    What Is RIGHT Or WRONG!