Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is extended worth bothering with?

nethrillnethrill Member Posts: 122

I used to play eq1 and to some extent eq2 but haven't played either in a while.I've got a sub to another game at the moment and don't feel like carrying around 2 subs as i'm not a hardcroe gamer.But I'd be into trying out extended if the content and game play is good and don't feel like i'm always hitting up against a subsciption fence and feel like i'm constantly being roped into one for better game play.Also say i like it and am willing to pay for it is extended a totally different and unconnected game from eq2?

Comments

• vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 308

Unfortunately, yes.  it's the only EQ2 server with a population.  the game isn't crippled enough to frustrate you and you can easily level all the way to 80 without spending one cent assuming your not a broker player.  Even then it's only 10 bucks to upgrade to silver and be able to buy.

This might change after the server merges, but extended is the only server with an actual playable population.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by vanderghast

extended is the only server with an actual playable population.

Not really true. Several have high pops, they're just top-heavy.

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by vanderghast

Unfortunately, yes.  it's the only EQ2 server with a population.  the game isn't crippled enough to frustrate you and you can easily level all the way to 80 without spending one cent assuming your not a broker player.  Even then it's only 10 bucks to upgrade to silver and be able to buy.

This might change after the server merges, but extended is the only server with an actual playable population.

Completely false. There are several live servers that still reach heavy populations during peak hours, and even in the late night/early morning hours (when I usually play on AB) they're are plenty of people around, especially when you start getting a bit higher level.

Extended might have a healthier low level population but to say that none of the live servers have "playable" populations is just nonsense.

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Tbh, I think EQ2x is exactly the same as live, the only reason Im not playing it is because I enjoy EQ2 PvP and EQ2X doesnt have PvP.

EQ2X also has plenty of people in the low level areas, lotsa new players.

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628

Originally posted by psyknx

Tbh, I think EQ2x is exactly the same as live, the only reason Im not playing it is because I enjoy EQ2 PvP and EQ2X doesnt have PvP.

EQ2X also has plenty of people in the low level areas, lotsa new players.

I am an ex Live player who was intrigued by this new client. I have played it for a few hours thus far, so I am no expert by any means.

That said, It is the exact same game as Live, from what I can see, except with lots of things stripped out that you have to pay for if you want to access them. For instance, If you want to play a race that is not neutral, you have to pay. If you want to lvl beyond 80, you have to pay. If you want to play as a Shadow Knight or several other classes, you have to pay. etc. etc.

In response to the pvp thing, I am pretty sure EQ2X has pvp, though I have not done it myself in this version as I have just started playing recently. So if I am wrong about this, someone who has played EQ2X  more extensively please correct me. Perhaps the PVP is another thing you have to pay for to unlock?

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

IMO EQ2X should only be seen as an extended trial. If you like the game, then just buy it and go to EQ2 live. As said a couple of times before (by me and others) EQ2X is so darn limited that it forces you to pay for everything you want to do >:(

I know... Here it is again... But it does show how expensive EQ2X actually is. And as said before, you don't even get veteran rewards in EQ2X :(

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by Reizla

IMO EQ2X should only be seen as an extended trial. If you like the game, then just buy it and go to EQ2 live.

That's what they should have done. I guess they separated the two games because they also wanted to sell stat items on Extended's cash shop. And I am glad they are keeping that stuff out of live. I think they know that there would be an out right mutiny if they didn't.

Part of the problem though is that two different F2P models are in play here. In one, you limit or cripple certain aspects of the game and then hope that people will upgrade. On the other, you allow them to play the game but you make it more convenient or easier if they buy items. The two really don't go together well. It would have been much better to simply offer live but with the crippled form as an option which would have amounted to an endless trial. This would have also helped to get more people into the pay to play game. All the while still making good cash shop money off non-game breaking items.

Then, perhaps as an extention to the Station Exchange servers, set them up with an uncrippled but heavily cash shopped system. This is how purely f2p games like Perfect World work. No limitations on races, class, levels or zones. You get to play the whole game and in theory you could play the whole thing, all the way to the top without paying a cent. It would just take longer and be more inconvenient in terms of bank and inventory space and mounts and such. They hold daily auctions for super rare and fast mount that you sometimes can't even get from the cash shop and they also sell grab bag items for a buck or two to appeal to folks who like to gamble. They also sell items that are pretty much necessary high end crafting. But at least they can say that the game is truely free to play because you don't have to buy any of it to play the whole thing.

But In the end I think they will have the worst of two worlds. Extended will probably draw what might have been potential live customers away and they will never be able to transition to the live servers short of  EQ2 going completely to the their odd hybrid pay to play model.

I am glad to be playing the regular version but if they make it all extended I wont likely continue to return on a regular basis.

All die, so die well.

• I enjoy playing on the extended server maybe once a week or something like that. But what I would enjoy more is playing a Halfling, but I'm not gonna upgrade my sub because of that, I just can't justify that. But I've seen in many other free to play mmorpgs that you can sign up for a site to earn rubiesgoldwhatever currency they use that can be used in game to buy things. Is there such an option here? I would love to just get enough to buy my precious little halfling.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

IMO EQ2X should only be seen as an extended trial. If you like the game, then just buy it and go to EQ2 live. As said a couple of times before (by me and others) EQ2X is so darn limited that it forces you to pay for everything you want to do >:(

I know... Here it is again... But it does show how expensive EQ2X actually is. And as said before, you don't even get veteran rewards in EQ2X :(

totally incorrect, when the current population reaches higher levels this becomes becomes the place to be.....

i have a gold subscription and finally lower areas are fun again because of the number of players, finally finding groups easilly is a blessing for the content...

People dont mind to pay as long as the game is any good...  I am gold member and pay the same monthly price as on live but got the game all expansion packs minus one and all adventure packs for free... And i only play humans and Half elfs by Nature...  And with my account dating back since release, i got some mega veteran awards....

And with all serious players having at least silver and being able to buy, i make some great gold with my crafted stuff.....

Most of all its fun, which could not be said back in March when i returned to the "empty" live servers

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• snappydoosnappydoo Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

totally incorrect, when the current population reaches higher levels this becomes becomes the place to be.....

i have a gold subscription and finally lower areas are fun again because of the number of players, finally finding groups easilly is a blessing for the content...

People dont mind to pay as long as the game is any good...  I am gold member and pay the same monthly price as on live but got the game all expansion packs minus one and all adventure packs for free... And i only play humans and Half elfs by Nature...  And with my account dating back since release, i got some mega veteran awards....

And with all serious players having at least silver and being able to buy, i make some great gold with my crafted stuff.....

Most of all its fun, which could not be said back in March when i returned to the "empty" live servers

Yup. I hate playing old MMOs because there's no one to play with until cap. But extended is great. I am having more fun on my silver sub on extended than a lot of the p2p mmos i've played recently.

• SevenwindSevenwind Member UncommonPosts: 2,188

I was on the Unrest server and it was pretty dead at low levels. I tried EQ2x and was ok with it until I had to pay for some of the races. I wanted to make a woodelf warden but I had to pay for it, even with gold account.

I figured if I just paid for the game, made a new character on AB server I could get just as good as extended. It was a good choice in my opinion because AB has groups at low levels. The community is pretty good too. I'm starting from scratch on AB and I'm doing ok meeting new people and finding groups.

After the merge my old Unrest server might be good, but I think I've found a new home on the AB server.

So OP in my opinion it is how much you're willing to invest in the game and what you really want to play class and race wise. I bought the Sentinels Fate expansion for 9.99 at gogamer.com and resubbed to the game and made a new character on AB server. So far no regrets.

It's all about having fun.

.. .... .- - . - .-. --- .-.. .-.. ... .-- .... --- .-. . .--. --- .-. - .-.-.-

--------------------------------------------------------
    Promote what you love instead of bashing what you hate.

Okay, you have gold sub, but lets do some maths...

I can pay €12/month (year sub) and I get the whole game, including some nice goodies (see the last sub column). I have to by Shadow Odyssey (€15 on eBay, might be even less) so I pay € 145/year

You pay € 13,50/month for a game and don't get all. If you want to get it all (including all races), you have to pay about 3000SC extra (approx €25). So you pay € 187/year for the whole game. Okay, you say you only play humans and elfs, so you only have to buy one pack of races for the elfs (750SC), but that'll still leave you around € 170/year

Dunno, maths don't lie and buying the license and subscribe is cheaper (a lot). Even with my half-year subscription...

Okay, the lowbee area's might be fun to play, but with all newbee players around that most likely quit after 1 month because they don't want to be milked on the cashshop, they are constantly filled with new players. I think it's harder for EQ2X to keep a steady guild (long term as in years) than it is in EQ2 live. With that, having all those silver players around, serious raiding might be a problem since they can't use legendary & fabled items...

Trust me, in the end EQ2 live is much better than EQ2X. I still wonder why SOE didn't include the Turbine system on EQ2 live. Make the game crippled and allow silver, but when you subscribe you get the whole game as usual. No need to fuzz with new servers, but boost the population on the servers significantly, much like happened to DDO and LotRo. It's clear SOE missed a big opportunity once again :(

I can pay €12/month (year sub) and I get the whole game, including some nice goodies (see the last sub column). I have to by Shadow Odyssey (€15 on eBay, might be even less) so I pay € 145/year

You pay € 13,50/month for a game and don't get all. If you want to get it all (including all races), you have to pay about 3000SC extra (approx €25). So you pay € 187/year for the whole game. Okay, you say you only play humans and elfs, so you only have to buy one pack of races for the elfs (750SC), but that'll still leave you around € 170/year

Dunno, maths don't lie and buying the license and subscribe is cheaper (a lot). Even with my half-year subscription...

Okay, the lowbee area's might be fun to play, but with all newbee players around that most likely quit after 1 month because they don't want to be milked on the cashshop, they are constantly filled with new players. I think it's harder for EQ2X to keep a steady guild (long term as in years) than it is in EQ2 live. With that, having all those silver players around, serious raiding might be a problem since they can't use legendary & fabled items...

Trust me, in the end EQ2 live is much better than EQ2X. I still wonder why SOE didn't include the Turbine system on EQ2 live. Make the game crippled and allow silver, but when you subscribe you get the whole game as usual. No need to fuzz with new servers, but boost the population on the servers significantly, much like happened to DDO and LotRo. It's clear SOE missed a big opportunity once again :(

You are comparing a year sub to a monthly sub. You should compare your anual sub to platinium. In platinium you get absolutely everything + all the xpacs for free. You also get 500 SC points per month and you get a lot more slots than on live for roughly 145 euros. So for your 145 euros you get more perks than on live.

Originally posted by snappydoo

You are comparing a year sub to a monthly sub. You should compare your anual sub to platinium. In platinium you get absolutely everything + all the xpacs for free. You also get 500 SC points per month and you get a lot more slots than on live for roughly 145 euros. So for your 145 euros you get more perks than on live.

No offense, but then you're even dumber than you think...

Buying the platinum you get the Sentinel's Fate expansion for "free" and 500 SC a month. Just wondering what you would spend the 6.000 SC on in the end, since you already have all the game offers, unless you want to buy the "fluff" items from the cash shop.

Still... If I buy a years subscription + Sentinel's Fate from eBay ($15 what I paid for it), I'd still be cheaper than the platinum account. 

Oh yeah, You save $70 for the total package of the platinum compared with the gold sub, and the 4300 SC ($43) for Sentinel's Fate charged by SOE in the shop. Drop the $43 down to $15 from what I paid for it on eBay and you save only $42. Remove $60 for the 6.00 SC you "get for free" (and most likely won't use at all) and you see how SOE screws you around...

But hey, it's your money. If you'd like to throw it away like this, be my guest! 

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

1.  If you want to do endgame content than EQ2X isnt worth it

2.  If you are considering a gold membership than EQ2X isnt worth it.

However, keep in mind that if you are the type of person that doesnt care about what others have, EQ2X silver is an amazing MMO.  If you have never played EQ2 the only restriction you would really 'feel' is the no selling on broker.  The gear and spells available to you are MORE than enough to enjoy the game up until max level.  Eq2 with only 3 bag slots is still easier to manage than many MMOs (WoW for instance).  Youll see the other races running around and classes though and see legendary gear you cant wear.  Thats why you have to not care about what others have.

Also, SoE had to make EQ2 live a better deal for eq2x for its regular subscribers or else a large percentage of those not on AB or Nagafen might have transfered to EQ2X

• OtiroOtiro Member Posts: 205

Op, You can access all the content in the game up to level 80 for free.

If you can live with the race and class restrictions. There is no need to spend any money to enjoy the game. I play on live, Crushbone server. Which is one of the busier servers. I do find myself playing more on extended though. I have a couple of friends playing there also. one is a bronze member the other upgraded to silver so he could have more bag space.  Both are now in their 40's and having a ball. Neither one feels restricted and i find it fun hearing them getting excited by finding a piece of treasured gear that is better than they are wearing.

I doubt you will feel like you need to upgrade service just to enjoy the game unless your a gear grinder (Always needing the best). The only thing that gets annoying according to my friends is the pop up box asking you to upgrade. I don't know how often it appears though.

If after some time and you find you are really enjoying yourself and want to subscribe. I would suggest just going up to silver untill your level 80 then go either gold buying the last expansion, or platinum getting the expansion for free along with 500 SC each month. Either way will allow you to get the best gear and spells the game has to offer.

I have to admit that the Platinum service is really nice. As long as you stay on the subscription you will get the expansions for free. Also getting that 500 SC is nice to buy some appearance items or furniture for your house if you like to decorate.

Extended server as far as content goes is exactly the same as the rest of the servers.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Buying the platinum you get the Sentinel's Fate expansion for "free" and 500 SC a month. Just wondering what you would spend the 6.000 SC on in the end, since you already have all the game offers, unless you want to buy the "fluff" items from the cash shop.

Still... If I buy a years subscription + Sentinel's Fate from eBay ($15 what I paid for it), I'd still be cheaper than the platinum account. 

Oh yeah, You save $70 for the total package of the platinum compared with the gold sub, and the 4300 SC ($43) for Sentinel's Fate charged by SOE in the shop. Drop the $43 down to $15 from what I paid for it on eBay and you save only $42. Remove $60 for the 6.00 SC you "get for free" (and most likely won't use at all) and you see how SOE screws you around...

But hey, it's your money. If you'd like to throw it away like this, be my guest! 

Its funny you call someone else an idiot, then go on to rant about how its not worth it because your getting points "likely wont ever use", when you have no ****ing clue what someone else wants or will or willnot use, not to mention your using a pirce figure that you "got on ebay", cause as we know ebays a reliable retailer and you can expect to always get things for the same price.

I love noobs who try to tell others what they should value things as.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

I didn't say platinium was worth it. What I was saying is that your 12 euro per month figure  is only if you subscribe for an entire year.So it's not fair to compare an annual sub to a monthly sub (aka gold on extended). Does that make sense>?

Sentinel's fate is cheap now but was it the same price when it came out. I can tell you - NO! You don't pay that much more for platinium but you get more - aka 500 SC/month and more characters slots (10!).

And I will never sub for an entire year. I don't sub for more than 1 month ever. For any game. I hate longterm commitments.

Why do you use euros for some of you figures and dollars for others. Seems wierd tbh.

Ooh, and I don't buy off ebay. I am not that cheap!

You can't buy SF in Europe for less than 30 pounds now.

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

Originally posted by VikingGamer

That's what they should have done. I guess they separated the two games because they also wanted to sell stat items on Extended's cash shop. And I am glad they are keeping that stuff out of live. I think they know that there would be an out right mutiny if they didn't.

The dev running Extended flat-out admitted that this was their motivation for structuring it this way: SOE will not under any circumstances give up the expanded cash shop, and they foresaw the riot if they put it in Live.

But In the end I think they will have the worst of two worlds. Extended will probably draw what might have been potential live customers away and they will never be able to transition to the live servers short of  EQ2 going completely to the their odd hybrid pay to play model.

I am glad to be playing the regular version but if they make it all extended I wont likely continue to return on a regular basis.

Originally posted by CasualMaker

The dev running Extended flat-out admitted that this was their motivation for structuring it this way: SOE will not under any circumstances give up the expanded cash shop, and they foresaw the riot if they put it in Live.

Says enough I think. At least for once SOE used their heads not to drop the whole cash shop into live servers but make a separate server for it (more to come of those I think)

Now just lets hope EQ2X will not kill EQ2 live (prolly not)

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Originally posted by CasualMaker

Says enough I think. At least for once SOE used their heads not to drop the whole cash shop into live servers but make a separate server for it (more to come of those I think)

Now just lets hope EQ2X will not kill EQ2 live (prolly not)

I just still think it would have been smarter for them to use the "play free on a crippled version" model on the live servers, that is, allow bronze and silver memberships to be a kind of extended trial for the real game. Then have the cash shop on separate servers, similar to how they separate the liver gamer servers Vox and Bazaar right now.

I just don't think that allowing people to upgrade to paying a monthly fee for the privilege of playing on a server with a cash shop tainted economy makes a lot of sense. If you are going to have a cash shop and all the imbalances and competition issues that it brings then your game should be free. Why on earth would I ever want to pay $15 a month to play a free to play game with a crap shop. I think SOE is trying to double dip on the f2p models here and i think it will end up being less sucessful than they expected. If I want to play a free to play game with a cash shop I will play Perfect World and not be restricted from any class, race, zone or level.

All die, so die well.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Good :

- Can play for free (or one time 10$ pay), which has its limitations, but is doable. 

- Lot of players in low lvl areas

Bad :

- Customer service (no support in weekends unlike with eq2live). Really noobs that lack reading comprehension and then ask a question that you already answered in your first entry.

- crappy launcher that is bugged for many players for which they still dont offer the normal launcher as alternative.

I think that the customer service and launcher is making them losing a lot of players atm. I mean, someone who upgraded to gold or plat and then gets dropped back to silver, but cant reach support about it because its the weekend lol. Thats so 90s.

• arnaki3000arnaki3000 Member UncommonPosts: 66

i had been playing eq2 when it came out for about a year. 2 years ago i purchased the expansions and leveled a new character again then i quit because of rl issues.

I tryed eq2 extended yesterday but it felt like a different game to me. I would certainly prefer paying 15 bucks/month and play the real thing. just my 2cents

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

Having tried both somewhat, it seems that the Extended servers are much better if your a casual player, and are looking for more grouping opportunities in general, especially at the low levels.

The live servers do seem to have a decent population, but probably 80-90% of them are high levels and/or raiders. It is extremely difficult to get a group at the low levels. The AH prices for lowbie gear is also quite a bit unreasonable for a new starting player, 10th level plate armor goes for about 5-6 gold.

Unless you plan on playing the game focused on endgame raiding and such, then it seems like a much better idea to subscribe to the extended servers at this point. Much more active playerbase throughout all levels, and it doesn't seem like theirs any content locked off except maybe 80+ stuff, and a good chunk of races.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067

You guys have made me very curious. I have 2 accounts on EQ one for Freeport side and one Qeynos with like I don't know 12 crafters ,yes 6 on each side and yes I am certifiable.  I just loved the decorating and other aspects of EQ 2 so I was not going to be without a carpenter on each side. I raised them up with the old crafting system so just think about  how much time I sunk into that. Now I am like 65 or so the highest level I have so I am not at the raiding part but I did enjoy the game immensely but it was hard to get groups then plus I actually departed from my usual healing route to play a ranger so even harder.

Now if I try extended and I do not want the bag restrictions I do not mind race restrictions what do I have to get which type ? What other restrictions are there ? Are there quest or zone restrictions ?

Chamber of Chains