Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Karma +/- on posts

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

On another forum I visit you have this karma thing where you can + or - a post, essentially saying if you like/dislike a post. It also has this sort of threshold so those posts that go below a certain number are basically ignored, unless you choose to view it. So wondering it as a site suggestion here as this forum tends to be very good at being upp with forum technology.

Comments

• sloebersloeber Member UncommonPosts: 504

Originally posted by spades07

On another forum I visit you have this karma thing where you can + or - a post, essentially saying if you like/dislike a post. It also has this sort of threshold so those posts that go below a certain number are basically ignored, unless you choose to view it. So wondering it as a site suggestion here as this forum tends to be very good at being upp with forum technology.

yeah it works good on forums to see who are the trols and who are the good posters....should implement it here too :)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Originally posted by sloeber

yeah it works good on forums to see who are the trols and who are the good posters....should implement it here too :)

We've tossed this idea around internally. Perhaps I'll bring it up with the guys again if this thread gets some traction. :)

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Actually the sites I seen it on it has been used to dogpile on the folks who have anything negative to say about the game.

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Originally posted by erictlewis

Actually the sites I seen it on it has been used to dogpile on the folks who have anything negative to say about the game.

I was just about the same thing.

The concept works well with a decent community who won't abuse it; but we're talking about MMO posters. They're rabid dogs. We all know this system would be abused by anyone who shared a different view or opinion on any given topic.

It would be nice to have, if we could control ourselves.

• harvschmarvharvschmarv Member Posts: 83

There are individuals who'd abuse it but I think it'd work for a larger community like this one.

• Originally posted by harvschmarv

There are individuals who'd abuse it but I think it'd work for a larger community like this one.

Exactly, some trolls would make multiple accounts :P. But I think that won't be a big problem. I like the idea because you can also rate down posts from players that make a point but are just rude or abusive.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Originally posted by erictlewis

I think this would likely be the case as well.  In the end, eliminating some quality posts due to disagreement.

Steam: Neph

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

It is way too exploitable, imo.

While back I was suggesting forums section that could be moderated by players alone...Being able to moderate your own threads would be awesome ;-)

• Im dead against it myself. Normally the trolls will make a few accounts just for the purpose of rating people down.  On other sites I wont name Ive seen people who make really good posts drop from top teir of the scale to the bottom the scale.  While its nice to have to know who is helpful and who is a troll, in the end its just a feature that turns  into.. for lack of a better term.. stroking the epeen.

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

think the use on another forum is not 'stroking epeens' but more filtering the forum from well 'rubbish' posts, posts that are especially set up to troll.

• drake_hounddrake_hound Member Posts: 773

I dont think the system is nowadays a good system .

Since too many value on epeens lately .

Dont forget the internet has evolved , the system used in the past are exploited in this current times.

Having a + - karma system , only plays into abushive hands or groups .

What i really am suprised about this site that people actually do take time to write a lot .

And wellwritten too , even if i dont agree with a opnion , doesn´t mean i discard it .

Seems most of the poster do the same , the current forum is working .

Adding a +/- karma system , wouldn´t it bring back bigger amount of trolls ?

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

think the use on another forum is not 'stroking epeens' but more filtering the forum from well 'rubbish' posts, posts that are especially set up to troll.

i think what a people consider 'rubbish' varies alot by culture and region. A karma system would just serve to stifle povs.