Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Well It's Come Down to This...

alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

I have been patient. I have been more than mature. This is not a rage nor is it a troll. I can not log into my WoW account. I was able to log onto Battlenet, but as of this thread am not able to do so as I get a message saying "This service is not availbale", OK. According to official threads on WoW Tech form, apparently today Battlenet has started an early download Cataclysm client and as soon as folks do this, the launcher becomes totally unresponsive. Interesting to say the least.

A week or so ago TotalBiscuit as some of you know from his podcast, "BluePLZ" had a special event day for a Troll celebration on one of the servers. He claims roughly 500 people were to take part in this event. GM's immediately asked them to leave as they were stressing the server. Really? Blizzard has over 11 million subscriptions and they can not take 500 people? Well, needless to say TB did enough ranting about this server issue himself, I won't bother with it.

It has come down to this, there comes a time and a place for even a mild-mannered forum citizen such as myself to take a stand. Today was just simply the last straw for me. Blizzard needs competition...PERIOD! The opening for BlizzCon was taken with mixed response by Scott Johnson and his co-host Randy Delux, (the Instance podcast). Just appears not too much could be said for this year's BlizzCon, and again I will refrain from saying anything here as I didn't pay for the Direct TV feed. But, not being able to log in because of whatever glitch or malfunction due to BattleNet's early promotion download of Cataclysm, is just really over the top for me, folks. I can not type this thread of anger in the Tech forum because now i can not log in with my Battlenet account. Wonderful. Brilliant. Therefore, I come here. Yes, I am not too sure if I will gain too much sympathy or understanding. Quite frankly I'm not looking for that. It's time for a statement, for whatever it's worth. At least I shall make it public how I feel.

As stated it's high time we all stop end-fighting over these upcoming mmo's currently in development. I suppose that's really why I chose this forum as I see the usual banter about how new game A will eventually fail or how game B just isn't right for this type of gaming crowd or how game c doesn't provide some type of quality found in other games. really, just stop it! We actually do need these games to do well at release. Period! We need competition. We all should be excited and supporting all these games regardless what we decide we're going to play. Possibly after release of Rift, Tera, GW 2, and eventually Star Wars, the world might just have some choices out there when they have days like I'm having this evening! I ask for once folks, just be glad something new is out there no matter how much it may look or feel like WoW. iot isn't WoW. Let us all hope each of these games have a decent opening and can hold on for about a year. I do think folks will then begin to actually feel as though there is something else out there other than a 6 year old game with tired and weary old servers.

Sighs...

Thanks for putting up with this...

Now, I'll just go back to being "patient".

Alyn

All I want is the truth
Just gimme some truth
John Lennon

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls... the bell tolls for you.

• alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936

Originally posted by grimfall

Don't ask for whom the bell tolls... the bell tolls for you.

Well played....

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what you are trying to say here. I think it's...

1. WoW has old servers and right now Battle.net is down because of the Cataclysm pre-release.

2. This upsets me because I wanted to play something on Battle.net.

3. People should stop criticizing the upcoming games because we need a game that does not interupt Battle.net service when WoW has an expansion coming out.

Is this what you were saying or am I way off?

Edit: Maybe replace Battle.net with WoW?

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Originally posted by colddog04

I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what you are trying to say here. I think it's...

1. WoW has old servers and right now Battle.net is down because of the Cataclysm pre-release.

3. People should stop criticizing the upcoming games because we need a game that does not interupt Battle.net service when WoW has an expansion coming out.

The "Get of my damn lawn!" has become "Get off my damn server!". But I can understand the frustration of not being able to play the game you choose when you want to.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Originally posted by colddog04

Yeah Yeah tis a bit emotionally strung together and all that. But in general. This is just another in a rather long list of things that have been bothersome to me about this game. Competition might just might get some attention at the Blizz campus, but as of now just not much can be said of any other games now in existence, so Blizz is what Blizz is and we just take it I suppose.

I do thank you for your response however.

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• MimiEZMimiEZ Member Posts: 225

I agree wow will get better if it has competition, mmo's will get better as a whole when there isn't only one giant elephant in the room.

For the server thing. I really would like to know what is stopping some people from getting on there servers?

It seems pretty odd, since 4.0 came out  people have been complaining about bugs galore, not just op classes or bugs here and there, but bugs totally making the game unplayable, now a bunch of people can't log in. I haven't had any problems, so I wonder what specifically is wrong with others (computers, realms, whatever) that is making things kind of crazy on wow lately. I'm not a game developer or anything so I'm sure someone can explain it to me.

For people that have a message saying "server unavailable" and can't change servers, have you tried deleting your cache, wtf or error folders? It helped me a week ago (there I did have some problems).

-I want a Platformer MMO

:) at Grunty. Thanks for that ..was nice to smile after being such a grumpy for these past couple of hours..waiting....

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000

I have not had trouble getting in but my wife has not been able to get in since early this evening.

Well my druid is back in business after a bit over 2 hours of "patiently" waiting to log in...Really guys and gals will this happen again? Yep most likely it will. We do have another patch that is suppose to release just prior to Cat releasing and I do not have much faith that it will be bug free and smooth..

Let us all raise a glass for the future of these upcoming mmo's..may they prosper and give us ALL hope for a brighter gaming future!

Alyn

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

RE: Let us all raise a glass...

I'll drink to that!  Too new MMOs and new things to conquer.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

I generally go outside or talk to friends over Skype when my games aren't working rather than typing out lengthy essays. Why am I posting this than? I can't sleep, I'm done with games for the day, people are offline and it's dark outside.

nuff said.

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Back to the original post;

1 - Computers go down, server clusters fail, networks fail, it is just a fact of life, no matter how much you maintain them or how much money you have as a corporation, it happens. It has happened before and it will happen again, there is only so much redundancy that you can build into any set up.

2 - On the Totalbiscuit party, that is annoying and it wouldn't have been that there were 500 people on, it would have been that there were 500 people in a single area that would cause the problem. Spend a little time in Dalaran at peak time and you get the picture, but moving back to point 1 with this one, you can't have a go at Blizz in one breath for having their servers down and then have a go at them for taking a pro-active approach to stop servers going down?

3 - Agree with you to a degree in that Blizz just like any other company needs competition to push them, but at the same time you can't just not expose the faults of other games because without developers knowing where the weak points are in their games, how will they know what the playing public want?

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

what amazes me even more is how Blizzard managed to maintain such high standards dispite having no real competition whatsoever. Everyone else would've gotten REALLY lazy by now or extremely greedy or both. Just think about it: The addiction to WoW alone is such a mass phenomenon that they could easily get away with Itemshops ON TOP of their monthly fees. Sure, they would probably loose 2 Million of the hardcore-community but then again, who cares in the grand scheme of things. Same with Starcraft 2 which has free to play onlineservice as will have Diablo 3. If i would own blizzard, i would've no problem charging monthly fees for battlenet. No problem at all. And you can be sure that they would get away with it. But still they don't do anything like that.

And still people get all angry and excited about some serverdowntime. Guys, if i where you, i would count my blessings and be quite.