Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need Career Advice

It would appear odd to be asking such a question on forums populated by gamers but my career choices revolve around games. I have so many interests in numerous areas of study with currently 34 credit hours in a community college. I am looking to transfer to a university and I would really want to declare my major on the application. My major has shifted from English to game design but even that is not looking so good. My choices for a career in the game industry seem so limited to either programming or art; neither of which I'm good at. I thought about majoring in biology and specializing in molecular genetics but math is my achilles heel. I enjoy writing a lot and have written poems as well as short stories in my free time. My imagenation seems to never stop and the ideas keep coming to me like a light bulb flashihng on in my head--results from something I see or words I hear, put together. I've worked in a photography studio for a short time and found I have a knack for it. To the point, all I want to do is play computer games but the only way I see that happening is either I win the lottery or become a journalists/critic of games.

I'm 21 and have a who life ahead of me but stubbornly will not start it until I have found financial security for which my life depneds upon it. The future bears down on me more and more each passing day. CAN anyone help me?

----------------------------------------------+
| Microsoft Windows XP Pro x64
| ABIT AN8 x32 Nforce4 SLI x16
| AMD Athlon FX-60 Dual-Core 2.6GHz
| Corsair 3.1 GB DDR 400 Dual-Channel
| (2x) BFG GeForce 8800 GTS 320mb
| Creative X-FI Xtreme Gamer
| Western Digital 250Gb SATA

Comments

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

One thing you didn't seem to make clear is why you are changing your major? Everything in your post seems to say that English is right in line with what works for you. Combine an English Major with a vivid imagination, as you say you have, and great stories will emerge. From here, you can pretty much go wherever you like in the entertainment industry. Every great movie, every great book and every great game all started with a great story. The best career advice I can give you is to tell you to not go out and try to become something, instead, figure out what you already are on the inside and evolve that into your career.

• VampirVampir Member Posts: 4,239

Originally posted by dsorrent

One thing you didn't seem to make clear is why you are changing your major? Everything in your post seems to say that English is right in line with what works for you. Combine an English Major with a vivid imagination, as you say you have, and great stories will emerge. From here, you can pretty much go wherever you like in the entertainment industry. Every great movie, every great book and every great game all started with a great story. The best career advice I can give you is to tell you to not go out and try to become something, instead, figure out what you already are on the inside and evolve that into your career.

from my understanding a english degree gives you two options. 1. English teacher. 2.secretary(if ur a hot chick).

have u ever thought of becoming a story designer for a game????? if ur good at english, and get a creative writing degree you could write storylines for games.

thats my advice.

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you''re one of the 2% who hasn''t, copy & paste this in your signature.

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359

Gamepro once wrote an article stating what it took to become a member of their team. They said that if you had a degree in either English or journalism that you would be highly considered before a little grunt gamer. If you want to be involved in gaming and cannot code or do graphics, I would recommend getting either a journalism degree or stick with your English degree.

Working at a company like Gamepro is my dream job. You play games all day and review them and get a pretty damned decent salary. Also, if you're not up for the journalism side, remember, games need script writers, story designers, etc. You can do more than you think in the gaming industry with an English degree.

• metalfoxusmetalfoxus Member Posts: 805

Originally posted by Vampyr

Originally posted by dsorrent

from my understanding a english degree gives you two options. 1. English teacher. 2.secretary(if ur a hot chick).

have u ever thought of becoming a story designer for a game????? if ur good at english, and get a creative writing degree you could write storylines for games.

thats my advice.

Mmhmm, a "story designer for games" sure sounds like a real job.

Your best bet is being a gaming journalist. Probobly with a magazine (such as the previously mentioned Gamepro), or with an gaming website (like Gamespy).

• dsorrentdsorrent Member CommonPosts: 1,627

Originally posted by Vampyr

There's alot of other options besides just those two. Within an English major, you can really focus on tracks such as Literature, Theatre or Writing. And as I said before, combine any of those with a vivid imagination and the world of opportunities pretty much opens up to you. You could work in industries as varying from advertisings to writing your own plays. An English degree does not always automatically translate to teacher.