Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a ps3

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Out of sheer boredom of MMO's ive decided to buy a playstation 3, i havent played consoles in a while and am really not sure what's good and what isn't nowadays. I just want some input on some things i should know before buying it, like my buddy bought a 360 and then we found out we had to pay for online or yet it scratches our discs with a little movement. Another thing my buddy told me was that i ps3 sucks for shooting games since the 360 controller is made for shooters, im not sure if this is personal feel of the controller or is really made for shooters? And one last thing, i would have to buy a router to play online and im not exactly sure how ill be getting internet on my desktop with a router, anyone care to explain?

Thanks for the input guys and im sorry if i sound dumb, don't know much about these things.

Comments

• Banhammer16Banhammer16 Member Posts: 75

Hey,

I have owned a 360 since launch and have had a PS3 for about 6 months now so I think I can help to clear up a few of these questions.

PS3 online play and connectivity is completely free for gaming and other features, it even has a full web browser on it. Although it has an area similar to Xbox's Marketplace which will cost you money to purchase items off of but you don’t need to, it is purely bonus content and some classic PS titles.

Like all Blu-Ray discs the PS3 discs come with multiple layers of coating and you really have to TRY to scratch the disc. As far as I’m aware there are actually YouTube videos of people seeing what it takes to try and scratch the discs.

Honestly, shooting games on the PS3 are the same as on the 360. It is mainly what people are used to and how they prefer the layout. the 360 controller may be a bit easier to get the hang of but once you get used to the PS3 controller you should have no problem at all.

If your PC has WIFI connectivity then you should be able to connect your desktop over that or use an Ethernet cord from the router to your PC from one of the available slots. The PS3 has a built in WIFI card which is much superior to the 360's wireless adapter in terms of speed. Although if your really nit picky about speed you can also connect it through the Ethernet port as well.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Yeh i guess my minds pretty much set on the ps3 then, just gotta find some good deals on it.

As for the internet, Im not really sure if my desktop has wifi connectivity, any way to check? and for an ethernet cord, is that the the white wire that goes into the usb slot? if so, do i pretty much put that wire into the router and that's it? I was also wondering if my internet speed would be slowed down because of using a router?

Once again thanks for the help!

• Vulnero87Vulnero87 Member Posts: 182

Wait you really don't know about ethernet?......Weird.....Well anyway it's the wire that connects from your modem or router to your computer.  If your computer is wireless, than you can connect wirelessly through your PS3.  You might need a WEP key or the other passkey thing.  Forgot the name, but I'm pretty sure you don't have it.  Majority of people just use a WEP key to protect they wireless internet.  At least in my area they do.

I'm pretty sure you have a wireless adapter because you said something about USB, which usually means a wireless adapter.

Everyone has opinions, but does that make them the universal truth??? NO!

Ah one more question, i hear there's some difference between all the ps3 models? i was thinking of buying the new 120G slim model, any cons to that?

Forgot to mention.

Xbox has been out a few years longer than the PS3 and so it has more users. Last i remember it was about 20million online users. So there is alot more people online for Xbox than PS3 although i doubt  you will be able to notice this. Each system also has specific games that are exclusives to there systems. Such as Halo and Gears of War for Xbox and God of War and Uncharted for PS3. 

Another thing to note is that 33%, or 1 out of every 3 Xbox 360's encounters a mulfunction were it has to be sent in to Microsoft to be fixed, whilst the PS3's failure rate is under 5%. Go figure. But it all depends on you. Such as i prefer to play multiplayer games on my 360 and single player games on my PS3.

In the graphics department the PS3 has a huge overhaul on the 360. Although on cross platform games you wont notice much of a differance. If you look at many of the PS3 exclusives you will notice it, i would give ImFamous as a good example.

Yes, a router will slow your internet speed down. Unless your trying to host servers or anything else hardcore it shouldnt be much of a problem but then again that all depends on your current internet speed. 

And no, your Ethernet cord plugs into a slot that looks like this...

http://www.ust.hk/itsc/classroom/notebook/photo/notebook_network_port.jpg

it usually has a picture of one computer sitting on top of two other computers.

And what type of internet connection do you have?  Cable? Phone line? They should all be pretty similar. you take the ethernet cord that you normaly take directly from your internet box and connect it into the router and then from there branch the router off into your computer using one of the other slots which may be labeld LAN ports.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

I'm actually thinking of selling my PS3, I've used it like 4 times since I got it last year. :( Only bothered to buy a couple Blu-Ray movies so far, and neither it or the 360 can handle streaming x264 from my PC or Hulu from the internet. I really wanted it as a media center/blu-ray player/console but it can't handle the media center part which was the most important to me.

Shooters do play fine with the controller, personally I much prefer the feel of the 360 controller but it's not a big deal.

If you have an available ethernet or wireless connection besides the one your PC is hooked up to the internet through then your PS3 can go through your PC to get onto the internet instead of buying a router.

I have not heard of any issues from the new slim line. the main differences between the models now is the Hard drive space.

Originally posted by noquarter

I'm actually thinking of selling my PS3, I've used it like 4 times since I got it last year. :( Only bothered to buy a couple Blu-Ray movies so far, and neither it or the 360 can handle streaming x264 from my PC or Hulu from the internet. I really wanted it as a media center/blu-ray player/console but it can't handle the media center part which was the most important to me.

Shooters do play fine with the controller, personally I much prefer the feel of the 360 controller but it's not a big deal.

If you have an available ethernet or wireless connection besides the one your PC is hooked up to the internet through then your PS3 can go through your PC to get onto the internet instead of buying a router.

The problem with setting up another  internet hub in your house is that most ISPs will charge you extra for it

Originally posted by Banhammer16

Another thing to note is that 33%, or 1 out of every 3 Xbox 360's encounters a mulfunction were it has to be sent in to Microsoft to be fixed, whilst the PS3's failure rate is under 5%.

Oh, any Xbox 360 since June is a Jasper model and doesn't have the failure rate problems. The 360 also has more DLC (downloadable content) and larger online userbase, and easier method of getting online with friends and such, but it isn't free.

It's very possible you hook up to the internet through USB cable to your cable modem. If that's the case you should definitely have a free ethernet port on the back of your computer (looks like an oversize telephone jack) that you could hook up your PS3 to in order to get on the internet through your PC. If you have wireless also you'd have a little antenna on the back of your computer, or a USB wireless adapter.

Routers only add an infinitesimally small delay to packet transfers. It's not something users need to worry about when considering a router.. their single purpose is to pass packets along so they do it pretty quickly. A good router will actually help your internet connection out when your using your internet heavily by setting up QoS to prioritize packets.

The problem with setting up another  internet hub in your house is that most ISPs will charge you extra for it

Uhm, no idea what ISP you're talking about, cuz all the ones I know of you can hook up as many computers as you want to your internet through routers/internet connection sharing. Comcast will even help you set it up for free. Not only this but they have no way to tell how many computers are behind a router/connection sharing computer anyway. They can only see the router and have no idea what computers a router is sending data to.

They *used* to sell you an extra IP address for $5 a month before routers went mainstream, but with a router they have no control over how you use your internet for multiple connections.

Uhm, no idea what ISP you're talking about, cuz all the ones I know of you can hook up as many computers as you want to your internet through routers/internet connection sharing. Comcast will even help you set it up for free. Not only this but they have no way to tell how many computers are behind a router/connection sharing computer anyway. They can only see the router and have no idea what computers a router is sending data to.

They *used* to sell you an extra IP address for $5 a month before routers went mainstream, but with a router they have no control over how you use your internet for multiple connections.

From what he was saying it appears as though he means using another wall jack. They can easily monitor how many wall jacks are being used , when, and how much data is passing through it. In the US most ISPs WILL charge you for that. having it on one network is different, but thats not what his post said.

• PkL728PkL728 Member Posts: 82

I personally prefer the XBoX 360 because of the exclusive games they have, the controller layout, and the multimedia extender capabilities.  I have my 360 connected to a media PC that I use to record TV so that I can stream movies, tv shows, and music all into the xbox 360.  I also use it to play music from my media pc while playing games (it will override whatever game music is currently playing)  PS3 is slightly better in the graphics area, but it's not that much better.  If you want to pay a bit more for your system for slightly better graphics that's fine.  There have only been 1 or 2 PS3 exclusives that I've wanted to play (Metal Gear Solid and Uncharted) but for the most part, I am happy with my 360.  The earlier models of the 360 had hardware issues that Microsoft would take care of for free (They really did a good job of handling that situation).

I play a lot of Madden and FPS games, which IMO play a lot better on the 360 b/c of the controlls.. it's really all just a preference thing.

Originally posted by noquarter Uhm, no idea what ISP you're talking about, cuz all the ones I know of you can hook up as many computers as you want to your internet through routers/internet connection sharing. Comcast will even help you set it up for free. Not only this but they have no way to tell how many computers are behind a router/connection sharing computer anyway. They can only see the router and have no idea what computers a router is sending data to.They *used* to sell you an extra IP address for $5 a month before routers went mainstream, but with a router they have no control over how you use your internet for multiple connections.
    From what he was saying it appears as though he means using another wall jack. They can easily monitor how many wall jacks are being used , when, and how much data is passing through it. In the US most ISPs WILL charge you for that. having it on one network is different, but thats not what his post said.

Oh, yea you're right about that sorry. I definitely wouldn't go that route. Cheapest way to get the PS3 online is to hook it up to your PC, best way to get it online is to buy a $50 router.

Oh, yea you're right about that sorry. I definitely wouldn't go that route. Cheapest way to get the PS3 online is to hook it up to your PC, best way to get it online is to buy a $50 router.

agreed

Yeh sorry i thought the cord was connected to a usb port but ye it is the ethernet cord.

I've pretty much decided on the ps3 too i guess but for the slim, i called up some people and they all said slim sucks but with no actual facts backing it up. I ask because futureshop is having a boxing day sale on ps3 where i get the older 160GB version with infamous, uncharted and killzone 2 for 300 bucks.

• Focus*BankaiFocus*Bankai Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by PkL728

I have my 360 connected to a media PC that I use to record TV so that I can stream movies, tv shows, and music all into the xbox 360.  I also use it to play music from my media pc while playing games (it will override whatever game music is currently playing

yeah the ps3 can do the same thing. ATM i am watching anime i  downloaded from the internet through windows media player through wifi and to my ps3 :P so it can do everything ur xbox can do

Also is this router good, not sure what to check for Click

On boxing day it would be up for 35 bucks so seems good.

Originally posted by Gabby-air

Anyone?

Anyone?

No I've never had any success with Belkin.. constantly dropping wireless on the ones I've used. I get Linksys, Netgear or D-Link.

Ah oh well, already bought it now and thanks alot for everyone's input, now if you excuse me ill be playing dragon age.

• JackyM2010JackyM2010 Member Posts: 22

I think Ps is have great graphic and better from PS 2, though about personal experiences from your firends I think is only personal opinion  Just my 2 Cent image

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Best choice is the PS3 ylod has a lesser % than RLOD and has a better library of games and better hardware

• ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825

The best way to DEFEND YOURSELF from console failures is to buy refurbished and find good deals on video games and gear. 

*****please read below********

Refurbished means that when a unit dies, its sent back to the manufacturer. To keep the client happy as part of a warranty, they send a replacement unit to the customer. Unlike most units of a production line, very few (less than 1%) of an entire line get tested. A refurbished unit gets tested, updated, inspected and completely fixed (to even overhauled) and then returns to the market at a discount price. This unit falls into the 1% that have been tested and thanks to this it has a lot higher integrity and it will not fail. 

Think of Refurbished like a sword in an MMORPG that breaks. It gets fixed and then comes back as a sword + 1 with attributes slotted to it and more durability. ^_^ 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

The PS3 is a great console but unfortunately the player community is non existant. You will love the blue-ray! I watched the entire LOTR in blue-ray and it looked absolutely awesome!