Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just because they tack "online" to the end of their title DOES NOT MEAN its a MMORPG

Comments

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Originally posted by GTwander

"Who cares?" is the stance of people who are truly educated on the subject here.

Those that keep beating this dead horse just have to have something to prove. 9 times out of 10 they are the same people spouting the terms "WoW killer" and "pay to win".

I care. Because the shit is a scam.

DDO for example, follow the same CORPG design as Guild Wars, yet it originally had a Sub before it crashed into the ground. That clearly was DDO's developers using the Online Requirment as a way to slip their game into being labled a MMO in which it is not.

Just think about it for a sec.

What if Halo required Internet to play the game? Would that make it a MMOFPS? Same game, simply with a Internet Requirement.

What about Blizzard's Diablo?

If Diablo had a Internet Requirement to play (THE SAME GAME), would that make it a MMORPG?

Can somebody explain to me what makes Dynasty Warrior Online a MMORPG?

How is it a scam? What harm is this doing to anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Online#Subscription_information

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

But based on what you say,

Any FPS online Multiplay game is also a MMO.

Like Halo(any), Resistance 1-2, Dynasty Warrior Online.

Like really,,, How is Dynasty Warrior Online a MMO? I am still confused by that getting on the list here.

I will always be confused why people care so much about what game is or isn't listed here.

The admin's of this site allowed it, that's why it's here, who gives a frack? Ignore it and focus on games you like, dislike or whatever just stop with these posts about what is an mmo and what isn't.

The genre has broadened since the days of EQ, M59, UO etc... Things change and new products enter the fray, it's nature my friend.

The RPG genre for instance covers many styles of games, many, many RPGS are far departures from one another. They're still RPGS though right? The same could be said for the FPS genre, the RTS genre so on and so forth. 

The MMO is whatever someone decides it is and creates a game to fill that hole. That's how things work and this will never change.

Look at it this way...

MMOG

Massively- Lots of people

Multi-player- multiple people playing

Online-  internet connection

G- A game.

Some are RPG's some aren't and usually distinct themselves by including or excluding the RPG part.

This site does have strict guidelines on what is or isn't published here (added to the list). As the genre has changed so to have those rules. Live with it or don't, that's your choice, however, beating a dead horse isn't going to change anything.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Malickie

Like really,,, How is Dynasty Warrior Online a MMO? I am still confused by that getting on the list here.

I will always be confused why people care so much about what game is or isn't listed here.

The admin's of this site allowed it, that's why it's here, who gives a frack? Ignore it and focus on games you like, dislike or whatever just stop with these posts about what is an mmo and what isn't.

The genre has broadened since the days of EQ, M59, UO etc... Things change and new products enter the fray, it's nature my friend.

The RPG genre for instance covers many styles of games, many, many RPGS are far departures from one another. Their still RPGS though right? The same could be said for the FPS genre, the RTS genre so on and so forth. 

The MMO is whatever someone decides it is and creates a game to fill that hole. That's how things work and this will never change.

Look at it this way...

MMOG

G- A game.

Some are RPG's some aren't and usually distinct themselves by including or exluding the RPG part.

This site does have strict guidelines on what is or isn't published here (added to the list). As the genre has changed so to have those rules. Live with it or don't, that's your choice, however, beating a dead horse isn't going to change anything.

So Resistance 2 is a MMORPG?

• ZoomzooZoomzoo Member Posts: 82

I do agree that words and terms used in gaming advertisments aught to have some sort of agreed-upon definition.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money talks and as a result the only apparent criteria to be listed as an MMORPG is that players can play the game with a few of their friends...

My take on it is that the current definition of MMORPG is:

Massively - more than 1 player

Multiplayer - you can play with at least a few other players if you choose.

Online - you can play online, if you want.

Role - be somebody other than yourself, with customizable pixels!

Playing - yes, if the code works

game - some player somewhere claims to be having fun.

Originally posted by Malickie

The RPG genre for instance covers many styles of games, many, many RPGS are far departures from one another. Their still RPGS though right? The same could be said for the FPS genre, the RTS genre so on and so forth. 

Look at it this way...

MMOG

G- A game.

Some are RPG's some aren't and usually distinct themselves by including or exluding the RPG part.

So Resistance 2 is a MMORPG?

No, that's a single-player FPS with multi-player modes. If you're referring to Resistance 2: fall of man.

Besides this isn't about what i think is or isn't an MMO, it's about this site and how they judge them.  Which you nor I have any control over. They'll tell you straight up, "don't like it don't look at it". I've seen it said by admin enough times by now to realize it's a dead subject to them.

Originally posted by Zoomzoo

I do agree that words and terms used in gaming advertisments aught to have some sort of agreed-upon definition.

Unfortunately we live in a world where money talks and as a result the only apparent criteria to be listed as an MMORPG is that players can play the game with a few of their friends...

Yeah I agree.

Now I see why this Genre is in craphole.

Because people like those who believe Dynasty Warriors Online, DDO,GW developers when they tell you its a MMORPG,

these same people are bound to believe anything a developer tells them. lol

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Yeah I agree.

Because people like those who believe Dynasty Warriors Online, DDO,GW developers when they tell you its a MMORPG,

Can you show me where the GW developers said it was an MMORPG?

And for the record, a label doesn't mean anything in this context. I mean really, why does it matter?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by arenasb

I mean really, why does it matter?

Apparently it does, but it will take another 10 years to explain why.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Yeah I agree.

Right....

or..

Most people are actually worried about the quality of a game, not what the developers are calling it or say about it.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Originally posted by Zoomzoo

Yeah I agree.

Some parts I agree with, but why do you keep insisting that GW is a MMO?, no where on their site does it say it's a MMORPG as they clearly state for everyone to read it's a online action rpg, the GW2 developers have also said that because GW1 was NOT a MMORPG they intent to make GW2 a MMORPG. Now the part of scam is just a new populair word it seems as I don't see it.

For the most part I see more 3rd party websites or MMO websites saying certain games fit this genre then the actuall official gamesites say its a MMO. Aswell people on forums who asume something is a MMORPG where again official websites would clearly state what type of genre their game is yet forum posters seem to ignore that.

But sure there are some games that are called MMORPG I wouldn't really consider MMORPG, but that's pure based on my personal opinion on what I personaly would consider a MMORPG still doesn't make me right or fact as times have changed allot with this genre.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

Well....my one disagreement with "games masquerading as MMOs" is Guild Wars.  The developers of GW1 NEVER EVER EVER EVER called it an MMORPG. It is an MOG...a multiplayer online game.  They have never "pretended" that it was anything else.  So if the perception exists that it IS....it is due to people either refusing to believe what the developers THEMSELVES said they made, or maybe just being lumped into that category out of sheer convenience OR ignorance.  But....it has never "pretended" to be an MMORPG.

MMOs are becoming more and more diverse. I think they pretty often just get lumped into one category because it becomes so labor intensive to come up with new acronyms to describe each KIND of online game now.

Meh....I couldn't really care less.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Who cares? Just play the game for an hour and see if it is fun. There are plenty on the list (like DDO) which is F2P too. If they don't have a sub fee, the OP is barking up the wrong tree.

• seeyouspacec0wboyseeyouspacec0wboy Member UncommonPosts: 714

Originally posted by Ozreth

the term "Massively Multi-player" is used to differentiate these games from games that can have 2-10 or however many people on one server, otherwise called "Multi-player RPGs", games like Neverwinter Nights.

the "Online" maens just that, it is online, using an internet connection to connect to a server.

and RPG...well that is very broad but you get the idea.

Almost all of the game listed above have these aspects. They may not be what you consider and MMO to be, and you may be jaded, but you don't have the final say on the definition.

And as somebody already stated, a lot of the games you listed dont even have a subscription fee.

NO. Those games are not MMOs because only a very limited amount of people can play togther, not a MASSIVE amount.

Originally posted by Scagweed22
    is it the graphics? the repetativenesses? i mean what is the point? you could be so much more productive in real life
    Real life brings repetition and pointlessness too. The only thing real life offers is Great graphics. Its kinda expensive too and way to dependent on the cash shop. Totally pay to win as well. No thank you. Ill stick to my games.

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Originally posted by Comnitus

...autojump...

Lol.

Exactly.

Glad too see that you know very little about eve itself beyond a few tired old phrases some eve haters use that were largly loosly based on old features from 3-4 years ago image

May as well say that WoW is dying as a comparison to the above.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Examples of games posing as MMO/MMORPG that are not MMO/MMORPGs at all include;

*Guild Wars

*Age of Empires Online

*Global Agenda

*Dynasty Warrior Online

*Dungeons and Dragons Online

*World of Tanks

*Savage 1&2

* Most of these so called MMOFPS on this site.  http://www.mmofront.com/free-mmofps.html

These games do not have a Persistent World, only Chat Rooms and Hubs of some kind.

In order for a game to be a MMO, it must have a Persistent world.

In order for a game to be a MMORPG, it must have a Persistent World, in which unlimited(based on Server load) number of players can fight and engage in combat together within the same Persistent Zone(Area).

Examples of Actual MMORPG/MMOs;

*World of Warcraft

*Warhammer Online

*Darkfall

*Eve

*Everquest 1&2

*Runescape

*Runes of Magic

*Allod Online

I agree.  This genre is infested with buzz words that are abused for publicity and marketing.  IE  Playboy online.  That's all I have to say about that.  xD

Now if there was a playboy online MMO I'd be all over that...

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• neodavieneodavie Member Posts: 278

I guess what's most confusing to me in all of this is why you're so concerned about the catagorization of genres and not concerned at all as to whether or not a game is fun or not. Now I've read through and heard you touting about how this is a 'scam' but I fail to understand why that is. If people enjoy a game and feel it is worth the monthly subscription (whether that be because of frequent updates, patches, expansions etc.) then paying a monthly fee for that game is those people's prerogative; if not, well then doesn't the game just fail?

Originally posted by GTwander:

How are you an MMO? Or any of us for that matter?

I say we strike all users from the site for not being MMOs.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

Wait! You mean that Guild Wars is secretly using other people calling them an MMORPG to scam us into paying monthly payments that they say we do not have to pay!?

Checking the GW website they describe themselves as a CORPG with no monthly payments. But as clearly seen by your extremely intelligent post this is merely marketing bullshit. My bank has no registry of any monthly payments made by me to play GW. They must be in on it as well

For all these years that I played GW I've been secretly scammed I don't even know how many euros since these bastards from arena-net do not even have the decency to inform me of the monthly fee I'm, according to the OP, paying!

And such a masterfull scam it is, advertising themselves as a CORPG with no monthly payments and not even asking for your credit card info they clearly have thousands, if not millions, of agents spread through the MMO community spreading around the word that GW really is a MMORPG. Meanwhile arena-net is coordinating with our banks to obtain our credit card information making us secretly pay for playing their so called free CORPG while their nefarious co-conspirators at the banks commit mass fraud to hide these payments away so that we don't even know we're being scammed!

Thank you OP for bringing this massive conspiracy to light. Without you we would have never found out. I'll set my laywers on it right away! Arena-Net, see you in court!

( Yes, this was sarcasm. And yes, I most likely failed at it... )

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

Why does DDO have a optional sub? WHy did it originally have a sub? Its the same concept as Guild Wars right?

So what makes DDO a MMORPG? because it has Online restrictions? Well Guild Wars also has that.

But can you have Combat in a Persistent area of the map?

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Originally posted by skeaser

Originally posted by GTwander

"Who cares?" is the stance of people who are truly educated on the subject here.

Those that keep beating this dead horse just have to have something to prove. 9 times out of 10 they are the same people spouting the terms "WoW killer" and "pay to win".

I care. Because the shit is a scam.

DDO for example, follow the same CORPG design as Guild Wars, yet it originally had a Sub before it crashed into the ground. That clearly was DDO's developers using the Online Requirment as a way to slip their game into being labled a MMO in which it is not.

Just think about it for a sec.

What if Halo required Internet to play the game? Would that make it a MMOFPS? Same game, simply with a Internet Requirement.

What about Blizzard's Diablo?

If Diablo had a Internet Requirement to play (THE SAME GAME), would that make it a MMORPG?

Can somebody explain to me what makes Dynasty Warrior Online a MMORPG?

How is it a scam? What harm is this doing to anyone?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons_Online#Subscription_information

Charging for a service is a scam now?

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Ozreth

the term "Massively Multi-player" is used to differentiate these games from games that can have 2-10 or however many people on one server, otherwise called "Multi-player RPGs", games like Neverwinter Nights.

the "Online" maens just that, it is online, using an internet connection to connect to a server.

and RPG...well that is very broad but you get the idea.

Almost all of the game listed above have these aspects. They may not be what you consider and MMO to be, and you may be jaded, but you don't have the final say on the definition.

And as somebody already stated, a lot of the games you listed dont even have a subscription fee.

I would say that would be a halo MOFPS.

The people that say "Who cares, it doesn't matter" -  apparently there are people that really do care.

Why do i have to retract my opinions on something im passionate about just because people say its a pointless arguement in their eyes?

I personally would never like to see a "counterstrike mmorpg" branded, and with the lines continuing to blur i suspect this will happen in the future.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

If Vindictus is a MMORPG, then why isnt Demon Soul also a MMORPG?

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

Guild Wars never claimd to be an mmo.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

Originally posted by SgtFrog

ok well Guild Wars is the exception.

But is Vindictus a MMO? Do they advertise it as such?

well what about DDO?

If GW isnt a MMO, then how can DDO be a mmo?

If DDO is a MMORPG, then So is GW.

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

well what about DDO?

Yeah DDO is not an mmo, it is basically the same as GW.

I have never played Vindictous, why is it not an MMO?

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

well what about DDO?

Yeah DDO is not an mmo, it is basically the same as GW.

I have never played Vindictous, why is it not an MMO?

same thing at DDO but even more instanced. Yet Its developers call it what?

Dynasty Warrior s online even made the list here on MMORPG.com. I am not sure why. since its the same as the offline game, except with hub