Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm in the Cataclysm Beta: Ask me Anything

Comments

• DarkDelusionDarkDelusion Member Posts: 4

This may sound like an odd question,  but im mostly asking on my girlfriends behalf. 

What are the clothes like in Cata?   In Vanilla,  they looked more standard-ish,  in BC  they were VERY sci-fi  colourful,  and in WOTLK,  they were really ugly...  I understand they were going for the whole cold weather/ viking look,  but from 70-80,  there was like one clothing set for each type of armor.  No joke,  even check the auction house,  to see what I mean.  Anyways,  so whats the clothing look like?  and in your oppinion (once again for my girlfriend)  how cute / sexy does the clothing look like on female characters?  And are there lots of options to mix and match?  And not like northrend with your option of dark brown or dark purple.  Any pink?

Now onto my questions  :D

My concern with the 2 new races is that they will be too much cooler than the old races that we will see a million worgens / goblins everywhere,  similar to the million blood elves that appeared in BC but worse.  Worse because their racial traits sound awesome,  goblin rocket belt,  shapeshifting too and from a human form.  Plus,  because this expansion is encouraging old players to make new characters with the revamp of the old zones,  I imagine most people will choose one of the new races.

So my questions is,  in your oppinion,  have you see any issue of this thus far in the beta?  Do you think its going to feel like the goblins vs. the worgen,  instead of the horde vs the alliance?  Of course there will always be people playing the other races,  but im just worried it will be terribly imbalanced.

And last question,  you said the new zones are massive.   are they like WOTLK where the zones were filled with quest hubs / quest kill zones?  You didnt have to walk very far from the questgiver to find your objective.  Or are they like Vanilla WoW like Tanaris with 1 major quest hub and a minor one,  and you had to explore tanaris to find all your objectives.  Have they changed azeroths zones to fit more of a Wotlk style?

Thankyou again for answering all of our questions.  : )

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Originally posted by DarkDelusion

This may sound like an odd question,  but im mostly asking on my girlfriends behalf. 

What are the clothes like in Cata?   In Vanilla,  they looked more standard-ish,  in BC  they were VERY sci-fi  colourful,  and in WOTLK,  they were really ugly...  I understand they were going for the whole cold weather/ viking look,  but from 70-80,  there was like one clothing set for each type of armor.  No joke,  even check the auction house,  to see what I mean.  Anyways,  so whats the clothing look like?  and in your oppinion (once again for my girlfriend)  how cute / sexy does the clothing look like on female characters?  And are there lots of options to mix and match?  And not like northrend with your option of dark brown or dark purple.  Any pink?

Now onto my questions  :D

My concern with the 2 new races is that they will be too much cooler than the old races that we will see a million worgens / goblins everywhere,  similar to the million blood elves that appeared in BC but worse.  Worse because their racial traits sound awesome,  goblin rocket belt,  shapeshifting too and from a human form.  Plus,  because this expansion is encouraging old players to make new characters with the revamp of the old zones,  I imagine most people will choose one of the new races.

So my questions is,  in your oppinion,  have you see any issue of this thus far in the beta?  Do you think its going to feel like the goblins vs. the worgen,  instead of the horde vs the alliance?  Of course there will always be people playing the other races,  but im just worried it will be terribly imbalanced.

And last question,  you said the new zones are massive.   are they like WOTLK where the zones were filled with quest hubs / quest kill zones?  You didnt have to walk very far from the questgiver to find your objective.  Or are they like Vanilla WoW like Tanaris with 1 major quest hub and a minor one,  and you had to explore tanaris to find all your objectives.  Have they changed azeroths zones to fit more of a Wotlk style?

Thankyou again for answering all of our questions.  : )

1. For the actual quality of the armor, the texture resolution and model quality are about the same of that of the WotLK. For the colour palette they use, they're going for more reds, greens and blues, colours to represent the various Elemental Planes in Cataclysm. One of my best friends who plays WoW with me is a woman, and my main is female as well, so we were both looking at this issue. As a male, I like the grungy/wartorn colours that WotLK tended to use (especially the Warrior tier 10 look). A lot of the armor in-beta right now is placeholder, but if you and your girlfriend head over to MMO Champion, they have some previews on some of the tier 11 armor sets. I'll post some screens here for your convenience.

P.S. I'm asking her opinion on the armors in Cataclysm. I'll post her response when she replies.

Warrior Tier 11

Druid Tier 11

Warlock Tier 11

2. It's beta. People are going to play the new races for sure. No, there isn't any 85 Worgens or Goblins as far as I can tell; you'd need to have no free time to level that fast. Yes, there will be a huge influx of Goblins and Worgens on release - why wouldn't there be? They're a new race with the best starting zones in the game. Vanilla players such as myself are going to be jumping at the opportunity after we've finished leveling to 85 (which took me about a week and a half casually).

3. This question is rendered mute with their new quest system. They added a new "auto-quest" mechanic (like in many science fiction MMORPGs with radios, ala Tabula Rasa) in which you automatically recieve a dialogue giving you the next quest in the chain once you have completed the first part. This makes it so you don't have to run back to the quest giver, only to have her/him turn you around and head right back to where you just were. As for the amount of hubs - largely unchanged. Deepholm is built in a circular manner and everything sprouts out from the middle basically. Vash'jir is pretty spread out though. Most of the quest hubs from vanilla are still in their same relative position they were before.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by Toxilium

Originally posted by Faelsun

Funny from reading these responses everyone hates WOTLK.

I think the magic combination is Vanilla raids and world pvp and BC PVP and gear scaling.

WHAT  have they done about the cheaters? Ive see death knights pvp by walking on air and then dissapear and reapper behind me, gold farmers walking on the sky and under the mountain and everything else you can imagine. And the corpse writing has to go.

And since you play a priest just how is mana regen, because in WOTLK we had a slower regen rate than paladins and Druids, level 40 druids got better regen than level 60 priests, ..... which eternally pissed me off.

1. I can't speak for what Blizzard is doing to combat hackers and cheaters, sorry. No one complain though - it's no where near as bad as APB was.

2. It's a bit better? I haven't really noticed. Just pop dispersion and a few pots in long fights, ask for innervates, I'm fine almost all the time. I get a better mana regen in shadow, simply because of dispersion.

I had the same thing, you HAD to have dispersion really, I also had improved fade and every other mana conservation talent I could get. But my gripe was that the level 80 Priest talent wasnt as good as the level 40 druid talent and paladins just have to stand there like morons while their mana bar regens back up at light speed. It's not about it being good enough its about what is fair, and Dispersion is a 40 point talent.

It also wasnt a big a deal in PVE  raids you always have a mana regen guy and pots and drinks, food etc.

But in PVP its a big deal... especially arenas and against a rogue Dispersion will help you die 3 seconds slower.

• ObzerverObzerver Member Posts: 225

Tox, have you gone through any of the 1-60 instances? do they all follow the dual faction quest system like Scarlet Monastery? or are they different.

• bronecarbronecar Member Posts: 685

Could you estimate the number of beta testers?

Originally posted by bronecar

Could you estimate the number of beta testers?

No idea. From people I talk to on the live servers, I'd say 5-10% of players.

Originally posted by Obzerver

Tox, have you gone through any of the 1-60 instances? do they all follow the dual faction quest system like Scarlet Monastery? or are they different.

The only one I did was Deadmines, as it's now an 80 dungeon. I asked a friend and she said all she knows is that they changed SM.

• HypodermicaHypodermica Member Posts: 154

Tox,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions.  I'm sure it's time consuming.  Here are mine:

1.  Achievements.  They were always a fun break from the raid/emblem grind.  But, the points are a personal achievement and have no effect in the game.  Will this change in Cata?

2.  It seems with each expansion, a new "main" city is born.  (BC = Shat  / WOTLK = Dala).  Will that be the case in this game? Should we expect to see Dalaran turn into the "dead" city that Shat had become?

3.  In an earlier post, you mention daily quests being in a big.. BG like zone (WIntergrasp).  Is that PVP dailies or PVE dailies?

4.  Given that badges from BC dungeons give emblems which are converted to gold, will this be a new viable way of earning gold in the game?

5.  Have you seen any new patterns/recipes for any of the professions?  If so, will they be useful? Will the new items you make sell?

6.  Will they continue having cooking/fishing/JC/BS dailies like they do in Dalaran?  I really enjoyed those.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Hypodermica

Tox,

Thanks for taking the time to answer all of these questions.  I'm sure it's time consuming.  Here are mine:

1.  Achievements.  They were always a fun break from the raid/emblem grind.  But, the points are a personal achievement and have no effect in the game.  Will this change in Cata?

2.  It seems with each expansion, a new "main" city is born.  (BC = Shat  / WOTLK = Dala).  Will that be the case in this game? Should we expect to see Dalaran turn into the "dead" city that Shat had become?

3.  In an earlier post, you mention daily quests being in a big.. BG like zone (WIntergrasp).  Is that PVP dailies or PVE dailies?

4.  Given that badges from BC dungeons give emblems which are converted to gold, will this be a new viable way of earning gold in the game?

5.  Have you seen any new patterns/recipes for any of the professions?  If so, will they be useful? Will the new items you make sell?

6.  Will they continue having cooking/fishing/JC/BS dailies like they do in Dalaran?  I really enjoyed those.

Thanks again!

1. No. Achievements are staying the same.

2. No. Horde are spread out over (mainly) Orgrimmar and Undercity, and a bit of Thunder Bluff as well. Alliance is still Ironforge and Stormwind. No one still goes to BC cities.

3. I believe it's both, don't quote me on that. Tol Barad is one of the newest things they've added so it's still being worked on.

4. No. It's a one-time thing. After that, you earn Justice Points for everything. You get more points the harder the dungeon. Let's say your 85 and go to do ICC10. You will get a much lower number of points from killing the Lich King than say you would, kill a heroic 85 dungeon boss.

5. There are lots of new recipes. I don't craft a lot, but one alchemy recipe caught my eye. They have a new recipe to turn oneself into a Sand Drake (name?). It's basically, you become the mount. Of course you'll have your standard tier gear crafting, potions for 85s, feasts, etc.

6. Yes. Where you get them, I am not sure.

• HypodermicaHypodermica Member Posts: 154

1. No. Achievements are staying the same.

2. No. Horde are spread out over (mainly) Orgrimmar and Undercity, and a bit of Thunder Bluff as well. Alliance is still Ironforge and Stormwind. No one still goes to BC cities.

3. I believe it's both, don't quote me on that. Tol Barad is one of the newest things they've added so it's still being worked on.

4. No. It's a one-time thing. After that, you earn Justice Points for everything. You get more points the harder the dungeon. Let's say your 85 and go to do ICC10. You will get a much lower number of points from killing the Lich King than say you would, kill a heroic 85 dungeon boss.

5. There are lots of new recipes. I don't craft a lot, but one alchemy recipe caught my eye. They have a new recipe to turn oneself into a Sand Drake (name?). It's basically, you become the mount. Of course you'll have your standard tier gear crafting, potions for 85s, feasts, etc.

6. Yes. Where you get them, I am not sure.

Thanks for answering my questions!  I'm dissapointed to hear that they have no changes in place for achievement points.  I really do enjoy conquering old content and it would be cool to see some kind of system in place that rewards us for our points.

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

This may seem crazy to most but I'm more interested in the 1-60 content. Did they scale the mobs in outdoor pve to match all the changes that have been put in over the years to make combat more of a challenge? Did they bring back a lot of the elite mobs? Any solo and or group elite quest challenges?  The end game in Wow just bores me to death anymore so the 1-60 content is what would bring me back. I know I'm strange.

• PhilbyPhilby Member Posts: 849

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

This may seem crazy to most but I'm more interested in the 1-60 content. Did they scale the mobs in outdoor pve to match all the changes that have been put in over the years to make combat more of a challenge? Did they bring back a lot of the elite mobs? Any solo and or group elite quest challenges?  The end game in Wow just bores me to death anymore so the 1-60 content is what would bring me back. I know I'm strange.

Im strange myself. I just came back and am leveling a dwarf pali. I wanted to see Azeroth again one more time before Cata. I also am looking forward to rolling a goblin, so your not alone in your interest in the "new" 1-60 game.

WOW isnt great because it has 12 million players. WOW has 12 million players because its great.

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

10-58 is pretty much the exact same with map changes and some new quests. Granted you have better graphics, more of the WotLK-style lore quests, but largely still the same hubs and quests.

• NihsnekNihsnek Member Posts: 17

Toxilium,

I have another question (sorry if this was answered before, I didn't see it):

How are the new Battlegrounds? (if they are even up?)

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Does all characters still look all alike or like walking clowns or is there a social clothing tab or something yet?

Originally posted by Nihsnek

Toxilium,

I have another question (sorry if this was answered before, I didn't see it):

How are the new Battlegrounds? (if they are even up?)

Yeah I did answer it. They're good, but being a vanilla player, I still have bias towards Arathi Basin and Alterac Valley (Warsong is horrble). Gilneas is basically the same as Arathi Basin.

Originally posted by Deewe

Does all characters still look all alike or like walking clowns or is there a social clothing tab or something yet?

No they haven't, and yes everyone still looks the same once they start getting dungeon gear, unfortunately.

4.0.1 is on us now, and I will not be answering any questions in regard to content that released with that patch. Read patch notes people! This includes reforging, new talent changes, etc.

The 310 flying is 5k gold in Dalaran. Reforgers are in every city, ask a guard. Okay now I won't be answering any more questions for 4.0.1. I'll only take 4.0.3+ questions from now on (stuff still in beta).

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Originally posted by Deewe

No they haven't, and yes everyone still looks the same once they start getting dungeon gear, unfortunately.

Thanks for the answer, appreciated.

That's really sad. At least TOR devs can be happy it won't be the single game that sucks at character customization... and Blizzard must be laughing hard.

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

Dunno if you answered this before. Its a question about professions.

Do the professions use already in game materials to level up? And if so; what materials?

• BrifBrif Member UncommonPosts: 529

What changes to racials have been made?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by Brif

What changes to racials have been made?

http://www.wowwiki.com/Racial_trait

There is a little cataclysm marker next to the things that are new. I have no clue if there is more stuff or not.

Originally posted by Rdlaban

Dunno if you answered this before. Its a question about professions.

Do the professions use already in game materials to level up? And if so; what materials?

You level to 525 in Cataclysm. Everything is pretty much the exact same, except for the addition of Archaeology. The materials and all that jazz aren't in game yet and still being worked on.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Which server you on so we can F*** S*** up together :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Mellkor

Which server you on so we can F*** S*** up together :)

lol, Bleeding Hollow alliance. Same name.