Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Perpetuum - Now With Cash Shop

gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

That completely blows

mollified a bit by the fact there is no charge for the client and the sub is pretty cheap

the sad thing is it came the day after i payed for early access and after the fact a yellow (gm or dev) in chat had stated there would be no cash shop :(

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Any links to press releases or anything like that? 

Funny, that the only parts of the world where Mechs are popular, are the only parts of the world where P2P is king. 

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

I have looked all over the site and the forums, but yet I see nothing of this.

A link would greatly help!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

When I was logged in last night I asked about robot paint or dyes.  One of the GM's responded that it would be available as a microtransaction item.  I mentioned that people were going to argue about it.  He (She?) didn't think they would argue.  People commenced with arguing about it.

The GM stated that it would be nothing but cosmetic items, no increased EP, no Mechs, etc.  Cosmetic items only.  At this point, all I've heard for sure is paint for your mechs.  We asked about Hello Kitty theme kits, but they never answered.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

again this was typed about just 24 hours after a statement that there would be no cash shop

and no answer as to whether these "cosmetic" items would be earnable in game

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by gatheris

again this was typed about just 24 hours after a statement that there would be no cash shop

and no answer as to whether these "cosmetic" items would be earnable in game

I can't find the announcement. Can you link the announcement?

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

If this is true they need to announce it soon publicly and it will be a shame as I was quite enjoying myself :(

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by lizardbones

We asked about Hello Kitty theme kits, but they never answered.

lol.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Seems like more p2p games are getting cash shops.. AION jus got theres not too long ago.. I knew once WoW would allow cash shop items more sub games would get them eventually too.. Even tho cosmetic items i'am not too worried about myself.. I jus think if were paying for the game we should be allowed to paint our mechs in game w/o having to pay.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

Seems like more p2p games are getting cash shops.. AION jus got theres not too long ago.. I knew once WoW would allow cash shop items more sub games would get them eventually too.. Even tho cosmetic items i'am not too worried about myself.. I jus think if were paying for the game we should be allowed to paint our mechs in game w/o having to pay.

I don't think WoW started the trend, as few other P2P games already offered cosmetic items in cash shops. Unless you consider in-game items from their trade cards.

Nonetheless, as long as the competition is low, and as long as some customers are ready to pay for it, it's an easy way to get some extra bucks in one company's point of view. And with the playerbase aging, with less time available for gaming but with more money to spend on electronic entertainment, I'm not surprised to see it being a growing trend.

• DehriosDehrios Member Posts: 20

Yea, I pretty much told you they were thinking about it. Nothing is set in stone. But like everyone is saying "It would be cosmetic" only.  This would not happen until after live :).

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

It should be one or the other, it makes no difference if they're 'cosmetic' or not? All items in an mmo are cosmetic for christ sake it's pixels on a screen, they serve purpose at all other than entertainment in a game world, this is just a legal way of double billing you, bloody daft. Especially for a team of this size, I'm amazed they have time to be creating 'cosmetic' items to put in the shop at the same time as fixing all those bugs and prepping for live.

What a joke, can't believe people fall for this con.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by mrw0lf

Especially for a team of this size, I'm amazed they have time to be creating 'cosmetic' items to put in the shop at the same time as fixing all those bugs and prepping for live.

We know where our priorities need to be, we're working on no "cosmetic" items of the sort you're thinking of.

certainly and hopefully there will be an official announcement before live

you don't want to look like you're pulling a fast one on your new subscribers (or do you)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Additional services and in-game items were around for years before WOW. It's once it had a name that it was considerd insidious and villified.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401

As long as it's only cosmetics I dont mind one bit. TBH I am ipressed how much the developers seems to 'get' a lot of the stuff thats broken in EvE and have managed to fix it for launch of thier game. (Yeah, its an obvious EVE clone, but so what...) I am enjoying the beta a lot.

Sadly I think they will be eaten by the lag monster when they launch if they get any kind of real succes, but thats just my personal gut feeling.

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

The only problem with this game is that it lacks a publisher which is a potential kiss of death.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by huskie77

The only problem with this game is that it lacks a publisher which is a potential kiss of death.

Some MMOs do just fine without a publisher. :)

Actually, unless the goal is to sell a box product, is a publisher really needed?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

release is free download

a box would be kinda pointlesl

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Get used to it folks, more and more P2P's are going to go the hybrid payment model route, and I doubt you'll find any games that don't offer additional services for additional fees to subscribers going forward.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Get used to it folks, more and more P2P's are going to go the hybrid payment model route, and I doubt you'll find any games that don't offer additional services for additional fees to subscribers going forward.

If turbine proves the pay as you go multi payment options system works over the long haul we may see the entire genre go that way. You wanna sub? You can. You wanna play for free and purchase only what you want to use? Go for it. It's perfect tbh.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Additional services and in-game items were around for years before WOW. It's once it had a name that it was considerd insidious and villified.

Or did it get the name after it became insidious and vilified? oO.... 

But yeah lol, we've had this stuff since MMO's have been around. UO had and has them :P 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Originally posted by Kyleran

If turbine proves the pay as you go multi payment options system works over the long haul we may see the entire genre go that way. You wanna sub? You can. You wanna play for free and purchase only what you want to use? Go for it. It's perfect tbh.

I have no issues with alternative payment models, or even cash shop games necessarily unless they are designed so that the content perpetually reminds/frustrates the player that they should purchase something from the cash shop to improve their experience.

So the model DDO employes is great, and the cash shop items in FE don't bother me, but when it came to ROM I defintiely did not care for the design or the power the cash shop gave in PVP activities.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the game will have a "rapidshare" payment model the video is from 2009 and you an see it here => http://vimeo.com/7454583 @min 8:15

BestSigEver :P

• zoomcnszoomcns Member UncommonPosts: 21

Originally posted by cosy

the game will have a "rapidshare" payment model the video is from 2009 and you an see it here => http://vimeo.com/7454583 @min 8:15

A lot has changed in a year.

The game will have a normal monthly subscription, everything else is just gossip for now.

• ChurchillTChurchillT Member Posts: 59

I love how people reply the "Truth" here and not on the real game forums. Perpetuum is in Open Beta. Come on over and try the game out. Learn everything you need to know in 30 seconds on the forums :)