Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blown power supply? please read

jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hi all got a question for you.  A few days ago my computer started to suddenly turn off while gaming and in the process decided to beep twice while it completely shut down.  I came home for work today and noticed my keyboard and game pad unresponsive.  The front button on my gaming tower works, but the system doesnt boot up at all.  I recently installed a new graphics card and Im wondering if the card fried my power supply.  As stated the systems include an unresponsive keyboard and mouse, and a computer that the light in front turns on but thats it.  The fan doesnt run inside nor does the system boot.  Any help would be great, Thank you

CPU-HP Omen 17.3" Laptop  i7  12 GB AMD Radeon RX580 1 TB Hard Drive

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

Could be.  What power supply is it, and what are your main system specs?  The important specs are the processor, the video card, and their clock speeds.  If you left things at stock speeds, then just report the processor and the video card, but do give the exact model on the video card.

Also, make sure you say exactly what power supply it is, and not just the nominal wattage.  Find the brand name and model.  If you have to open up your case and read labels, then do it.

• jugularveinjugularvein Member UncommonPosts: 371

Hello and thx for the reply.  Here is the computer specs http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015336R/1015336Rsp2.shtml

Only things ive changed is I put 8 gigs of ram in it, and just changed the 8800GT to a 5770 ATI.  It came with a 400 watt supply so im thinking the 5770 might of cooked it ;/  Let me know what you think and thx again

That doesn't say what the power supply is, but only the nominal wattage, which basically doesn't tell you anything.  Find out what power supply it is.  Open up the case and read the labels if you have to.  Get the brand name and model.

If you don't mind fussing with mail-in rebates and want a pretty good power supply at a deeply discounted price, try this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

That's one of New Egg's "shell shocker" deals, which means it will be gone within hours.

Hi sorry on the label it says Delta Electronics and model number DPS- 400RB A

• cvettecvette Member UncommonPosts: 82

Hey, plz try removing all the sticks of ram but 1, then try a different one to be sure....could be ram. try to find a pattern to the beeps and google beep codes. It will tell you what it means

Originally posted by jugularvein

Hello and thx for the reply.  Here is the computer specs http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/R/1015336R/1015336Rsp2.shtml

Only things ive changed is I put 8 gigs of ram in it, and just changed the 8800GT to a 5770 ATI.  It came with a 400 watt supply so im thinking the 5770 might of cooked it ;/  Let me know what you think and thx again

I'd find out the rated clock speed on your new memory and on your motherboard.  There's a decent chance that you'll be able to improve performance by pulling out the old memory and only running the new at its rated speed if it's rated above the 667 MHz of your old memory.  That is simply not enough memory bandwidth to properly feed a Core 2 Quad.  Unless you have unusual needs, you'll probably never fill up 4 GB of memory, so 8 GB will never give you any benefit beyond what 4 GB would do.

The link you give doesn't say what motherboard you have, so you'd have to read labels to find out.  It looks like the chipset supports up to 800 MHz DDR2, while Gateway only gave you 667 MHz DDR2.  The motherboard won't necessarily support what the chipset does, though.  That won't make a huge difference in performance, but it should help some with programs that actually use all four cores.

-----

Back to the issue at hand:  a Radeon HD 5770 doesn't use meaningfully more power than a GeForce 8800 GT.  The cards have TDPs of 108 W and 105 W, respectively.  It might well have been a cheap junk power supply that was putting out more than it really should have for too long and finally fried, though.  If you're unlucky, a power supply and die and take other parts with it, which is a bigger problem.  Is it still under warranty?

Wish I could, after those beeping and shut downs the other day I cant even get my system to boot.  The front light turns on but the system doesn't even start, nor does the fan ;/  So I am unable to tell the beeps since they dont occur anymore.

Nope the computer is about 4 years old that I have been slowly upgrading to keep it up to pace.  Thats why I increased the video card, but in doing so wasn't sure if it did something to the power supply.  I heard that the 400 watt should be fine with it but thats the best guess I have ;/

Hi sorry on the label it says Delta Electronics and model number DPS- 400RB A

There you go.  Delta's web site doesn't have anything about it, so it's probably simply discontinued.  It's not listed on 80 PLUS, as it would be if it were a good power supply.

It looks like this is what you have:

http://www.e-techsiliconvalley.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6667

That doesn't give a clear look at the label, but it does list the specs, and is the only place I could find that does.

If that's your power supply, I'd replace it whether it's the problem or not, because if it weren't, then it's likely to be the problem in the future.  Here's the big problem:

"+12Vat 15A"

There's only one +12 V rail, as it's only rated at 15 A.  The amount of power it can deliver on the +12 V rail is (15 A)*(12 V) = 180 W.  Meanwhile, your processor has a TDP of 95 W.  Your original video card had a TDP of 105 W, which puts you at 200 W right there.  The new video card has a TDP of 108 W, meaning that gets up you to 203 W in use.

A processor exclusively uses the +12 V rail.  The GPU exclusively uses the +12 V rail, though some other things on the video card may use other rails.  Some other bits of the computer use the +12 V rail, too, though those don't amount to much.  Regardless, under heavy load, you're running the power supply out of spec, and have been since the day you bought the computer.

That's the sort of thing that Gateway shouldn't have sold you.  Maybe it was configured by someone who was clueless about power supplies.  Maybe the original configuration was meant for a system with integrated graphics (where it would be fine), and some other employee decided to put a high end video card in it without checking power requirements.  Maybe the link above is simply a totally different power supply with the same name.

For comparison, the power supply I linked above has two +12 V rails, rated at 17 A each, which comes to 204 W each.  You shouldn't max out both at once, but it's rated at being able to deliver a combined 360 W on the +12 V rails, or double what your old power supply offered.

I heard that the 400 watt should be fine with it but thats the best guess I have ;/

A good quality 400 W power supply would have been fine.  The problem is that you didn't have a good quality power supply.  This is one of the reasons why I say don't buy a computer from an OEM unless they tell you exactly what power supply they use.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

A good quality powersupply is at the top of the list for having a stable computer.  You can look on TomsHardware and find some good ones.  They don't really have to be expensive to be well made.  I run an AeroCoolZeroDBA silent powersupply from:   http://www.aerocool.us/psu/zerodba/zerodba-feature.htm.  I've run it hard for a few years now and it doesn't even blink.  I have CPU, Mem, and 2 Nvidia graphics cards SLI overclocked.  I like it because it's quiet and modular so you can cut it back to only the cords you need.  My next computer is getting one of these also. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• AgamemmnonAgamemmnon Member Posts: 37

Hi,

bad news ;).

well, i really dont think that the frequency of your ram has anything at all to do with it, because you were running your system normally and were gaming when your system suddenly shut down, never to turn back on again.

You do have several gigs of ram, a dual core and a high end graphics card with a power supply labeled 400w (actually meaning depending on certification more like 380w (extremely high quality) to more likely 340w). you were propably gaming on some hardcore 3d graphics, which left your graphics card hungry for more power which your power supply was trying to deliver. Now it fried somethinng,

If you try to turn on your computer, does your power supply work? (i mean, does your computer get electricity and your supplies fan rotate?). if yes, than propably something on your mainboard fried or so, otherise it surely is your power supply which died.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Hi,

Dont know if you have tried this or not, but try turning the switch at the back of the psu, on and off, some times that "resets" it.

Other than that, it does sound like you have blown the psu :(

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by choujiofkono

A good quality powersupply is at the top of the list for having a stable computer.  You can look on TomsHardware and find some good ones.  They don't really have to be expensive to be well made.  I run an AeroCoolZeroDBA silent powersupply from:   http://www.aerocool.us/psu/zerodba/zerodba-feature.htm.  I've run it hard for a few years now and it doesn't even blink.  I have CPU, Mem, and 2 Nvidia graphics cards SLI overclocked.  I like it because it's quiet and modular so you can cut it back to only the cords you need.  My next computer is getting one of these also. 

Except that what you link isn't a good power supply.  It's not 80 PLUS certified, which is the bare minimum for a modern power supply to be considered not really all that bad.  The specs are the sort of thing that a reputable power supply company simply wouldn't do.  A "620 W" power supply, of which only 360 W is on +12 V rails?  And they list "peak power" to inflate the numbers even more?

You're right that getting a good quality power supply is important.  Which is exactly why you shouldn't buy the one that you link.

Originally posted by Agamemmnon

well, i really dont think that the frequency of your ram has anything at all to do with it

Yes, that's correct.  I brought it up as it may be a way to improve performance for free once it gets fixed.

Also, it's a quad core processor, not dual core.

Thanks all for the help so far.  Only thing I can tell you is when I turn it on the front light comes on.  No sound or bootup.  The fan does not start either.  So basically all that happens is the light in the front.  Usually my keyboard and gaming mouse would have their lights on also but they dont come on either.  Sorry for the horrid sentence structure, its late and been a horrible day as it is ;/

link posted by previous forum user:

http://www.e-techsiliconvalley.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=6667

dude, if THAT really was your power supply, than of course it got afraid when it saw your ati card and deceided to leave you for a greater good

So if i replace the power supply how many watts would be recommended and would my computer be up and running again.  Or is it on a downward spiral since the power supply was fried?  Im wondering if I should invest money into fixing it, or just saving up and getting a new comp.  Hate to buy a power supply and find that everything else isnt working ;/

well the link is to a german site, but you can see the name of the psu

http://www.alternate.de/html/pcbuilder/productDetail.html?searchClass=powerSupply&artno=TN6H70&cn=1&tn=BUILDERS

price is in euro

EDIT: even if it wasnt your psu, this one is a good basis for a new comp

If you're going to buy a new power supply right now for that computer, then get this one:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006

That's plenty of power for your needs, and too good of a deal to pass up.  As I type this, it's $46 before a $15 mail-in rebate, with free shipping.  That price will go up within hours, and the rebate is only good if purchased today.

As for whether anything else is fried, I guess you'd find that out once you get a working power supply and try it.  If a television is unplugged, how do you find out if it works without plugging it in?

If you buy a new power supply and find out that everything else is fried, you could keep the new power supply and replace the rest of the computer.  Though I guess the power supply I linked would limit how powerful of a video card you could get.

-----

You've tried flipping the power supply switch at the back off and on, I hope, not just pushing the button in the front?  Power supplies commonly have on/off switches as part of the power supply itself, and if it gets turned off there, then of course it's not going to work properly.  Though even if that were the only problem, I'd still replace the power supply on principle, as it isn't sufficient for your hardware.

http://www.alternate.de/html/pcbuilder/productDetail.html?searchClass=powerSupply&artno=TN6H70&cn=1&tn=BUILDERS

price is in euro

€ 142 for a power supply, in a system that will never draw 250 W from it?  That's crazy.  If you're going to spend that kind of money, you might as well at least get a Seasonic X-series, which is completely overkill for most people.

Originally posted by Quizzical

price is in euro

€ 142 for a power supply, in a system that will never draw 250 W from it?  That's crazy.  If you're going to spend that kind of money, you might as well at least get a Seasonic X-series, which is completely overkill for most people.

you are right, for his system it might be of too high quality, but your second statemant honestly is not true. The seasonic x series is by all means inferior to cougar gold series my friend

I think I have even worse news for myself ;/  I looked inside my computer and noticed that a green light was on.  Meaning I think that means that power is coming in.  Now if thats the case it may not be the power supply and maybe I just fried the whole motherboard ;/  Anyone know what that green light inside means and if that is the case?

I think I have even worse news for myself ;/  I looked inside my computer and noticed that a green light was on.  Meaning I think that means that power is coming in.  Now if thats the case it may not be the power supply and maybe I just fried the whole motherboard ;/  Anyone know what that green light inside means and if that is the case?

as i stated before, if your psu is working you propably fried sth else, maybe your cmos?

edit:grren light? maybe some of your ram sticks are fried, try using one by one