Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes EQ2 different then other MMO's?

2»

Comments

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

Originally posted by chaoster89

What makes eq2 different? 

1.Worst engine in MMO history

2.Characters who look like plastic dolls

3.One of the most elitest community (even tough they cant bind past 5)

4.empty world 

5.most areas are very bland and generic

6.very very easy progression aka turn the boss away from the raid and blow him up

7.generic dungeons and raids nothing special.

8.you are forced to buy armor in the cash shop because the one you get from raids for the most part looks so bad its unbearable.

9.SOE runs it

10.theres a damn cash shop

11.theres a damn cash shop

12.oh yes,theres a damn cash shop

I have to agree with you on all the points above and if you add to that the game has lost the scared value of dying I remember in old EQI days how trains were things seen on a daily basis, EQII is so dumbed down it's frankly sad. The fact that they have just announced server merges tells a story in its own right, Loading please wait!!

Asbo

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I really find it amazing how you all agree with these points, I dont think it is that bad if anything it is better then other mmos out there, its up to par with lotro and people do not complain about that one, maybe you guys just played it to long, I never had an issue with eq2 yes soe probably changed it to much but there is good reason it was not getting subscribers mostly because well it needed changes.

Cashitemmalils for fluff is a good thing for mmos because it will get people to subscribe, there is no reason to make a big deal out of fluff cash shops it has helped lotro tremendously and it will help eq2 if you enjoy eq2 you should be greatful.

• worldspin85worldspin85 Member Posts: 187

abosuletly nothing! i've played so manyu mmo's and have come to the conclusion they are all the SAME!! except for one i have played which is a SAND BOX MMO i recoomend you take a look at it its called DARKFALL theres a free trial

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by Hedeon

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Yasou

What's wrong with cash shops? Nobody forces you to buy.

And whether people like it or not cash shops are the next-gen business models so you better get used to it.

This, get used to it or stop playing mmos.

yea sure why not let companies take 200$ for a game, am sure the gaming companies are willing to accept it as the new standard...

will never play another MMO with a cashshop + subscribtions, even if means I ll never play a MMO again, cancelled my EvE account by the rumour of it working on incorporate a fluff cashshop alone.

Again, no one forces you to buy from the cash shop since it's fluff.  I think the real debate is when cash shop items are needed to allow progression in the game (Allods).

Anyway in the near future you won't be able to escape RMT in MMOs.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

I agree it is only an issue with games needed to progress, now what I do not understand is how you can say eq2 is the same unless your a hc player thats your fault for being hc and not switching it up with atleast single player games, any game will be to much of the same if you burn yourself out, for people who work and have families games like eq2 is great it has to much content to finish, it has great lore, nice animations and so on.

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

cash shop? fail game

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

What makes EQ2 different then other MMO's?

Massive amounts of content. 

Ability to mentor. (Lower your level to people in the group)

Interesting, more adult oriented fantasy lore.

Alternate Advancement (AAs) system that allows for a very customized character.

Very well done guild halls and personal housing. (This has the unintended consequence of making the world feel empty)

Tons of furniture choices. (I mean - like as much as The Sims)

Crafting is more interactive than other systems.

An insane amount of craftable items and furniture. (Overall, the crafting is pretty damn good in this game)

Quests. Millions of them. (It's called "Everquest" for a reason)

Epic Quest lines. (Heritage Quests. My personal favorite thing to do in the game)

Very advanced Guild system. Maybe too advanced. :P

Crazy amount of races.

Absolutely huge world.

If you type "/cutemode" everyone gets an NBA Jam style giant head.

Why am I not playing this game again? I think it was maybe gameplay or something.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

We all like LotRO now?  Huh.  LotRO has its own issues, but performance isn't one of them.  Small end game, grindy AA and boring combat would be the top reasons not to play LotRO.  Sadly I have capped toon in it too.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

EQ2 is pretty much just like WoW but with just a little more material. It definitly has a broader feature set. Mentoring, housing, crafting as a separate progression, AA progression, ability to tune how fast you level though content, enormous amount of quests and lots of different types of quests, 19 races, 24 classes, which any permutation possible, LoN minigame, guild leveling and perks, etc.

There is a lot to the game and it is very well done. It is a great alternative for anyone who has been in WoW or Lotro or a similar game for years and is looking for something new.

The community is very good, not perfect but then none ever is. But very friendly and helpful if a bit sparce in the lower level zones. It is definitly worth getting into a good, new player friendly guild which is not hard to find with the guild search interface.

As for the cash shop, there is absolutely nothing that is necessary in it. It's all fluff and convienence. Mostly house items and pets and appearance armors and such. Fashion always costs money but nobody forces you to play the fasion game. There are a few items that are a bit useful but really only at a convenience level. You can buy mounts and exp potions. For some that crosses the line but it really doesn't effect endgame and competitiveness. So if you want to be able to level a bit faster or be able to get around the world faster you can spend some money. Not that big of a deal.

EQ2 is a good choice in a game if you are looking for something new to explore.

All die, so die well.