Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shadow Priest, viable for raids?

scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

I am thinking of making a priest but, I wonder if I'd get in as a DD as a shadow priest or if I shouldn't bother, and just make a diff class.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
-Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

Comments

• dirtyhippy1dirtyhippy1 Member Posts: 45

SP's are fine as long as you dont suck

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

It depends on what you want. Our SPriest and Hunter are always the top two DPS in every raid encounter and then figure in all the buffs and utility they bring to the raid. I would say they are very viable.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

Well beyond 2 or 3 for a 25 raid, or more then 1 in a 10man. No.

The dots, shadow dmg healing, and DPS for 1 to be there is fine.

Also if im correct theres 2 bosses that have a shadow priest tank, 1 being classic, 1 being in lich.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Take all of this as opinion and not based on the current state of the game. So much has changed that I only have a slight clue about the ins and outs of the classes.

My vote would be for something more interesting. I'm not sure how all the builds play at this moment, but shadow priest was pretty boring for me. In my opinion, they are a lot simpler to play overall than, say, a warlock. This goes for PvP as well. 

Up to you though. If you prefer the Shadow Priest for other reasons like... being a shadow - or because you can alt up as a healer and be pretty successful in PvE/PvP in both healing and damage. Warlocks are shadowy in nature if that appeals to you and are overall a bit more successful DPS-wise - if a bit harder to play well.

Edit: If the question is viability - yes they have always been viable.

• leumasx7leumasx7 Member Posts: 218

ive been playing catecylsm for quite some time, and all i have to say is. FINALLY. Warriors got the buff they been needing. also everyone wasn't expecting that and now warriors are auctually feared once again, and warlocks are now the biggest dmg dealers of all. (seriously, level 85 locks own a 100k health warrior in seconds, and don't loose much health.)

• SpasticolonSpasticolon Member Posts: 178

Spriest is a fun class to play, you have HEAPS more mobility than other casters who stand to cast, alot of your casts are instant, or very short cast duration, keeping your dots up is pretty much how you beat most classes in DPS, you will want to run an addon to keep track of your dots so that you know when to refresh. Losing utility from TBC and being delegated to a DPS role I was dissapointed with, however when I did play in wrath, being able to melt face with dps and put most classes to shame with their 6kgs and my paltry 5.5 was fun.

I dont know how the Cata patch changed things, but have a poke at Shadowpriest.com for info.

Spriest is also a rewarding pvp class, fear, silence, disarm with Horror, makes for fun in a clusterfunk BG with fearbomb, and if people bitch you out to heal, tell them to pay your sub for a month and you will heal. I rolled Shadow PvP with PvE offspec, reminded me of my days in TBC, when you get random tells asking to heal something, my reply 'lol Shadow' but LFDung removed most server interaction.

Its a fun class, you may need a bit of a thick skin, arrogant shitwads will expect you to heal, just tell them to pay your sub and you will heal, otherwise tell them to STFU and FOAD.