Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I thought this game was for me, I changed my mind.

2»

Comments

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

in the OP you say the game still looks good, but then you make a post about how bad it's going to be.  you pretty much just said "this game is good but it sucks."  lol....

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

imo you come out as a ' polite'  troll promoting GW2 - nothing have been said about how long GW2 will take to reach max level, they will have 80 levels, where it will take about same time to hit level 2 as lvl 80, but that tells nothing about how long it takes to get to level 2.

They covered this quite a bit if I remember correctly, so I don't understand why there's so much confusion. It won't take the same amount of xp to lvl 2 as it will to lvl 80. It will start out as a curve, increasing the amount of xp needed as you gain lvls. But it will even its self out probably around in the 40's. (don't know for sure yet, but they used 40 as an example). So once you get to 40 (or whatever lvl), it will take the same amount of xp to get from 40 to 41, as it does to get from 79 to 80.

Also, even though we don't know how long it will take to get to 80, we can be 100% sure it won't take anywhere near as long to get to 80 as it would in a normal mmo. That would go against ANet's philosophy. They want us to enjoy the game for what it is, and have fun. Not take forever lvling up. Since it's b2p, they don't need to worry about keeping players lvling up so they can get their monthly subs. In reality, the main reason for ANet increasing the lvl cap to 80, was to satisfy the players who want to feel a sense of accomplishment by lvling up. That's one thing they didn't do in GW1, was have a high lvl cap. The fact that you could get lvl 20 in a couple days turned off quite a few people.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

What is the point of this thread?

the game isnt even out yet and people are finding that "the game isnt for them" ......ooooook

So we have kids and work and school and blah blah blah......so?

Name one MMO that isnt a time sink? if thats a problem for you then maybe you should stick to console..

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

How does a game not coming out for a long long time look more your style than another game thats many many moons away?  Its like comparing the menu of two restaurants without eating at either /facepalm

I for one wish Rift, was less focused on the rifts, since its taking away from the other sellable features of the game.  And yes GW2 is very high on play list as is DCUO, Rift, SW:TOR, Tera.  No reason not to play them all.  At least get some open beta time in before you declare one too hardcore for your hectic life.  Can't be too hectic if you have spent this much time on the forum since Aug.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by endersshadow

Originally posted by hidden1

You really didn't state why you think Rifts is a timesink... unless you're a beta tester and can't reveal too much due to the NDA.

I am not a beta tester, and holy shit do I have to say again why I posted. I felt like, I should speak up after watching this game all this time, and advocating for it, and making arguments for this game that I should say something...almost like a "I am Quitting XYZ mmo". Well when this post bites the dust, I am done.

Which, if so, makes your thread rather a hollow argument.  I didnt come here to argue, just to chat. I dont have some sinister agenda. On the other hand, so many of you are so completely distrusting, I have to say it says something about the world we live in and most certainly about you personally. A thief expects people to steal from them.

The way you write about it, gives the appearance that you're either playing/testing it now, or you're just being disengenuous.  So my question to you is that are you a current/past alpha/beta tester of this title? Or, Are you just basing your opinion on what you've read about this title thus far? 

Disingenuous, no. You wont meet a more honest, more frank person. I am basing my opinion on what we know so far. And while so many of you are linear thinkers (not a bad thing), I am an abstract thinker. In other terms, I am more of a big picture guy. With what RIFT is trying to accomplish, it would not make sense if this game wasnt at the least  a little more time consuming/Oldschool Hardcore  compared to GUILD Wars 2 or World of Warcraft. Which is why if I play any mmo in the near future, GW2 would be it.

Another question, though this might be considered rhetorical in nature... Isn't coming to MMORPG.COM and posting threads, w/ a full rating on your profile, on a profile made in 2010, w/ 300+ posts makes this website a bit of a "timesink" for you sir?

You are right it is. But I can respond to your post at anytime in the day. On the other hand it is still something I have considered quitting.

Am I done yet? Can I leave now?

What do you mean Lie detector, truth serum? 

Well thank you for answering honestly, and somewhat thoughtfully.  I do appreciate it.  And you're correct in stating most of us are distrusting.  There are 2 reasons in my case, and I'd just like to explain it for yourself and any others who so might be inclined due to curriosty as such is human nature.  1.  I had seen and been a part of the now legendary flame war/posts of the Darkfall days.  Those times both during pre-launch/post-launch were turbulant times for MMORPG.com... Never before have I seen such flame wars, and downright verbal villany occur.  So many posters seemed either passionate, or just downright evil w/ their remarks, not wanting to resolve anything, but simply posting for what seems to be a greifing/pvp threadwars.  To say that I was dissulussioned by the community and people in general is putting it mildly.  I hence became hardened a bit about posters sincerity, and hence grew a somewhat battle-hardened and cynical to that end.  So you're correct in stating that we don't trust right away a simple posting of someone's oppinion.  Life, and posting on this site, shouldn't have to be the hardest chore... but for some of us battle-hardened posters it has become a perception modled by continous disappoints by those disengenous trolls who like to encite, and for some reason, get a kick out of inciting annimosity and/or disharmonous dialogue exchange.  For this I appologize to you good sir, and hope that you are not one of those disengenous ppl out there.  You don't seem to be from your passionate response and that is refreshing to see every now and again.  I tip my hat to you.  Now, 2.  Many of us gamers, and MMORPG gamers have been let down in some for or another by gaming company's inability to deliver that next "big thing" in online gaming.  For one reason or another, wether it was missmanagement of a companies money, or a disconnect between the game development team and its potential target audience, this trend has been so prevalent in our gaming environment, that a few of us have become quite jaded by their respective failures.  And thus, yes we gamers have become more jaded, more mistrusting, and cynical.  I don't think thats a matter of being right or wrong, but It's a natural outcome of past to current game releases that have in some way or another let down the community.  I hope that my cynical approach doens't put you off to our community here, and hope you understand us better by my lengthy, if not infomative reasoning.

Thank you for listening and responding,

hidden1

• MoorqueenMoorqueen Member UncommonPosts: 40

I don't know where you are getting your information about this game being 'old school' but it's anything but.  it's being touted by the devs as very solo friendly.  They have not made any comparisions to games in the past.  A lot of the community are dissappointed it isn't more hardcore but the game isn't progressing that way at all.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

Yep, changed my mind. 

Its one of those "Its not you, its me." But real.

I am at a point in my life where I dont want hardcore. I dont want super time sink. I have children and a wife, work and soon school. I dont want a game that takes me forever to get to lvl cap. I want the journey to be fun and I don't want it to be long. I don't want Dungeons. I don't want uber gear.

The game looks good, still. That hasn't changed. My only real gripe, I am not crazy the way the characters move. This last video I watched on G4, they bob up and down and honestly if there were no RL concerns, that one small detail wouldn't stop me from playing.

The game for me, if I play any mmo will be Guild Wars 2.

Thanks for having me. I promise not to turn rabid and come back here and bash RIFT.

I will however bash SWTOR, every, chance, I GET! 

Haha, I love Bioware but I wouldn't touch TOR with a ten foot pole lol *high five*

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Dear OP,

It sounds like all that's changed is that you no longer want to play a MMORPG.  You want to play a game that has minimal leveling, no static quests and is focused on PvP.  There is nothing wrong with this.  Nothing at all.  However, RIFT hasn't EVER, not EVER, fit these criteria.  

Rift is basically an updated version of EQ2 with a different character system and dynamic quests.   This has been clear from the start.   It is what is lovingly termed a "WoW / EQ2 clone".  I don't mean that in a bad way.  I just mean that it's exactly the same type of game as those two (as well as LoTRO, AION and a few other other games that emulate those two).   If this wasn't clear to you from the start, I'm glad it is now.  But it really has nothing to do with the game.  The game direction hasn't changed, none of the info revealed is relevant to  your criteria.

I wish you the best of luck in GW2.

Meanwhile, if you can do some of us a favour before you leave - can you please post quotes of some of those "multiple times" thatt the developers have said that they are building this game for EQ1 old-schoolers?   I've been following the game pretty closely and i never got the sense that this was in any way true.  

These are, after all, the same people that built EQ2, which along with WoW is the game that pretty much defined what the "new school" actually is.    I seriously doubt they would revert back to any kind of eq1 mentality.    However, you say that you have multiple quotes of this.  Please share them.   Maybe it'll make me reconsider it too.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Yep, changed my mind. 

I am at a point in my life where I dont want hardcore. I dont want super time sink. I have children and a wife, work and soon school. I dont want a game that takes me forever to get to lvl cap. I want the journey to be fun and I don't want it to be long. I don't want Dungeons. I don't want uber gear.

The game looks good, still. That hasn't changed. My only real gripe, I am not crazy the way the characters move. This last video I watched on G4, they bob up and down and honestly if there were no RL concerns, that one small detail wouldn't stop me from playing.

Thanks for having me. I promise not to turn rabid and come back here and bash RIFT.

GW 2 wont have a high level cap it wil however have a high skill cap, your not going to be able to feed your kid, talk to your wife and casually do office work and still spam one button and win like you can in WOW. You going to get your face melted.

Honestly play the new WOW expansion, a pre schooler could play it, lots of safe zones. Make a paladin, find your Two button and go for it.

• Silverthorn8Silverthorn8 Member UncommonPosts: 510

Originally posted by Faelsun

Yep, changed my mind. 

GW 2 wont have a high level cap it wil however have a high skill cap, your not going to be able to feed your kid, talk to your wife and casually do office work and still spam one button and win like you can in WOW. You going to get your face melted.

Honestly play the new WOW expansion, a pre schooler could play it, lots of safe zones. Make a paladin, find your Two button and go for it.

He said he wants less of a time sink, not less challenge, why quote something if you can't be bothered to read it?

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

The game OP describes he wants is a non-MMO. 'Nuff said.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,181

Meh, I have a job, go to school online, a wife and kids and still play video games, I just get more time out of them since I play less at a time.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• MilliecakeMilliecake Member Posts: 90

Seems to be a lot of confusion over Rift at the moment, people just aren't sure if it will be casual-based or take a more hardcore approach. Not a lot of info to support either argument but I hope the OP is right, if I want casual I'll go back to WoW.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by vesavius

I don't see any evidence that Rift will be any less or more of the things you state then GW2 though tbh... Has a particlar piece of info got you worried? Got a link so i can have a look?

GW1 was famous for relatively little grind. GW2 will have a flat XP curve meaning that level 20 to 21 and level 59 to 60 will cost exactly as many xp so GW2 will probably have less grind than Rift and most other games for that matter.

The dynamic world system might also feel less grindy than the classic system, I am not sure about this.

But GW2 will probably be a good choice as a casual game, since it have no monthly fees you don't have to reactivate it if you take a break either.

But I see no problem with the fact that some games are more casual friendly than others (and GW2s GvG will probably demand a lot of time). It is great that some games fit some players while others fit others better, games that try to make everyone happy is usually just okay for everyone but not great for anyone at the same time.

And all this is based on assumption since I don't have any actual facts about Rifts leveling curve, just GW2s. But we probably would have heard anything if it isn't close to what we are used to from other games.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• SwobyJSwobyJ Member Posts: 80

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Solude

How does a game not coming out for a long long time look more your style than another game thats many many moons away?  Its like comparing the menu of two restaurants without eating at either /facepalm

I for one wish Rift, was less focused on the rifts, since its taking away from the other sellable features of the game.  And yes GW2 is very high on play list as is DCUO, Rift, SW:TOR, Tera.  No reason not to play them all.  At least get some open beta time in before you declare one too hardcore for your hectic life.  Can't be too hectic if you have spent this much time on the forum since Aug.

You know I couldnt agree more. I have seriously followed this game for a long time now and there are other great things about the game other than the Rifts. That is just ONE layer of dynamic content. The world is dynamic as well. NPC's have schedules and go about their lives regardless of what the players do. Mobs you find in the open seamless world may be fighting among themselves. GW2 gets alot of press about that (as it should, dynamic content in games is the future) Yet Rift has the same thing. A great class system. The biggest feature in my mind though is the server tech behind Rift. They spent a considerable amount of work designing a server technology that allows the developers to add anything at anytime without patching. That is the biggest feature in my mind. The tech behind the game allows for them to do different things. The potential is there for something really special. I cant wait.

That's what's also drawing me in, even over the soul system (which is pretty much a four class system with a LOT of customization within them, and 'roles' reminding me of Final Fantasy job/paradigm systems), and the rifts.

However, I guess we won't really know the full extent of this tool until after launch, but still... I'm damn interested in the prospect of game issues being addressed within the week without downtime needed. And well... I'm interested in world events happening in a much greater frequency than every 6-12 months.. :)

• Romulan78Romulan78 Member UncommonPosts: 99

Originally posted by blueturtle13

Originally posted by Solude

You know I couldnt agree more. I have seriously followed this game for a long time now and there are other great things about the game other than the Rifts. That is just ONE layer of dynamic content. The world is dynamic as well. NPC's have schedules and go about their lives regardless of what the players do. Mobs you find in the open seamless world may be fighting among themselves. GW2 gets alot of press about that (as it should, dynamic content in games is the future) Yet Rift has the same thing. A great class system. The biggest feature in my mind though is the server tech behind Rift. They spent a considerable amount of work designing a server technology that allows the developers to add anything at anytime without patching. That is the biggest feature in my mind. The tech behind the game allows for them to do different things. The potential is there for something really special. I cant wait.

Very well said. I still dont know a lot about this game but your post was a good help for some of us that havent closely been following it.