Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freezing Computer (not in the cold way)

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I installed a new heatsink on my processor, but I had to take it off because the North / South bridges were overheating.  I have fixed the north/south bridge overheating problem, and now I have a household fan blowing air through the open side panel on my case.

The problem now is that whenever I try to do anything with any game, such as borderlands, Minecraft, or Darksiders, and yesterday when I was streaming the Starcraft trailer, the whole computer freezes and I have to restart it.

I know its not overheating, and i'm pretty sure a 750W Corsair power supply is good enough with my setup.  I have a ~

6 GB of DDR2 Corsair RAM

3.14 GHZ Core 2 Duo

ATI Radeon 5850

750W Corsair Power

3 Hard drives

The computer does not crash when im doing things like browing the internet or streaming music, only when I do the things listed above.  

PS - I did update my drivers.  Any idea whats wrong / how to fix it?

-------------------------

Comments

• urdrielurdriel Member UncommonPosts: 31

Graphic Card Broken??

The computer freeze but you still listening sound??

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Try down grading your graphic's driver. 

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

When the comp freezes it makes a really high pitched grinding sound.  Squeals and such.  Like nails on a chalkboard.   Ill try downgrading the graphics drivers and see what happens.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by NagelFire

When the comp freezes it makes a really high pitched grinding sound.  Squeals and such.  Like nails on a chalkboard.   Ill try downgrading the graphics drivers and see what happens.

Sounds like you have a bad fan then because you should not be having sounds like that.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

Are the two  connecters from the power supply connected to the graphics card?

Are you sure your CPU HSF fan is working? Can you see if it is spinning ?

Do you have  temperature monitoring software, to varify your not overheating? HW monitor from CPUID is good

Sounds like a fan is squealling somewhere.

Does you motherboard have on-board video, in addition to your graphics card? If so, you can take out the Graphics card and run through the on board, taking the GPU out of the loop, to test and see if it still does it.

You say your NB and SB, were over heating, what were their temperatures? How do you know this?

Which CPU do you have? Has it been recently OC'd, or was it working fine before you did the HSF change? What prompted the HSF change?

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

When you put back on the old or new heatsink did you scrape off the old thermal grease and reapply new stuff? Reusing old stuff can cause poor thermal transfer. Also if you used a kind with silver in it you have to be careful not to use much because it is mildly capacitive so if it splooges out it can cause problems.

But it sounds like the graphics card is overheating or bad. I'd underclock it and see if it stops crashing in games, and go to that SC2 trailer, right click on it to bring up the flash plugin menu, go into Settings and disable hardware acceleration and see if that stops crashing. Then RMA your video card.

I'd also run memtest86+ real quick and verify your RAM is ok since it's a easy test to run.

Also if you do try multiple drivers you have to uninstall the newer dated drivers before installing older drivers or it won't actually downgrade them, it'll just keep the existing ones since they have a more recent date.

As for the squealing I'm assuming it's an electrical squeal from the capacitors or inductors on the video card and not something coming from your speakers or a mechanical squeal from your hard drive?

Memtest verified my ram is good.  

The squealing i'm talking about is coming out of the headphones when the game freezes.  Are their any tests that i can run that, like memtest, that would check my video card?  

• just2duhjust2duh Member Posts: 1,290

I've feared heatsinks and thermal paste since my xbox's RRoD, fixed it by reapplying the paste multiple times now, but it seems you can only do that so many times before it breaks down completly.

So that's about my extent of knowledge on the subject lol, but it sounds like a similar issue.

May just want to double check that the heatsink/thermal paste is getting a propper seal/connection, not too much or too little of that paste was put on it (getting the right ammount can be tricky), and like someone else mentioned already, be sure to remove all paste and have a very clean surface before reapplying.

Originally posted by theyalllie

Do you have  temperature monitoring software, to varify your not overheating? HW monitor from CPUID is good

Does you motherboard have on-board video, in addition to your graphics card? If so, you can take out the Graphics card and run through the on board, taking the GPU out of the loop, to test and see if it still does it.

You say your NB and SB, were over heating, what were their temperatures? How do you know this?

Which CPU do you have? Has it been recently OC'd, or was it working fine before you did the HSF change? What prompted the HSF change?

1-) Both of the connectors are connected.

2-) Yeah, its in there and its spinning.  The processor is idling at about 30 celcius.

3-) I don't have software that will tell me all my temps, but before I changed the heatsink on the processor (to a H50) it did not overheat, and now that I have changed it back and have a huge fan blowing into it I don't think its the problem.

4-) I have no idea.  Would an Asus P5Q Deluxe have it normally?

5-) No idea what the temps were, but I hooked up one of the specallity fans that Asus builds for the north bridge, and it stopped freezing.

6-) Intel Core 2 Duo 3.14 ghz.  It was slightly overclocked, up to about 3.6 ghz, and it was working fine before I changed the heatsink.  I bought a new one because I felt like donating some money to China.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

If it's only while gaming, then the video card is the likely culprit.  Try downloading FurMark and running it and see how hot it gets.  If it hits 100 C, shut down FurMark immediately, as that's a severe overheating problem, and you don't want to find out how hot it would have gotten.  FurMark will show the GPU temperature on your screen.  Report how hot it gets.

How many case fans do you have, and how are they configured?  Do you have a reference 5850 that blows hot air out the back of the card, or one that spews hot air all over through the case?  Is everything running at the stock clock speeds?  Does the air coming out of the case feel notably hot?

You can measure CPU temperatures with SpeedFan.  Load temperatures are the real issue, though, not idle.  You can stress the CPU with Prime95 (with two threads, to stress both cores), and watch SpeedFan to see the CPU temperatures.

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

If you've updated to the new CCC 10.10a drivers, it could be those. They just released a few days ago.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

• VagelispVagelisp Member UncommonPosts: 448

I had an annoying repeating sound problem but in my case it was the sound card, usually followed by a blue screen and some times a boot of my pc. It only happened in games and it sounded like a really tight loop of sound samples. I checked this by disabling my onboard sound from bios and then running the game again. Then i used basic sound acceleration from dxdiag panel and finally i got a "real" sound card.

• theyalllietheyalllie Member Posts: 229

2-) Yeah, its in there and its spinning.  The processor is idling at about 30 celcius.

3-) I don't have software that will tell me all my temps, but before I changed the heatsink on the processor (to a H50) it did not overheat, and now that I have changed it back and have a huge fan blowing into it I don't think its the problem.

5-) No idea what the temps were, but I hooked up one of the specallity fans that Asus builds for the north bridge, and it stopped freezing.

6-) Intel Core 2 Duo 3.14 ghz.  It was slightly overclocked, up to about 3.6 ghz, and it was working fine before I changed the heatsink.  I bought a new one because I felt like donating some money to China.

Hmmm, well Ive got a spare PC with that same board and it doesn't have onboard video.

I was curious about your processor, as I know of a 3.16 core 2 duo, the E 8500. I have not found a 3.14 core 2 duo. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just I haven't found it. And I was more inclined to think Video Card problem, but.

You hear the squealing through the speakers, and, cooling the NB, has stopped the freazing. These seem like two different things, and neither one to do with your graphics card, as I assume your sound comes through the motherboard, or a sound card.

IDK, probably best to follow Quizicals' advice and start eliminating things one by one, which I beleive he is going to run you through. And much better than I can. That is if the new drivers dont solve your issue.

As a foot note, If you do infact have the E 8500, and it is running at 3.6. then the NB or front side bus has been pushed up some, probably not beyond the 1600 mhz that your board can handle, at least on paper, tho I would not think it would heat up to the point of freezing. The processor has been pushed beyond it's rating, 1300 mhz, but probably can handle it, mine does.

I just hope you dont have some other processor which has a much lower FSB rating, and your NB has been bumped to the point of overheating, say a 1600 FSB or North Bridge, on a processor with an 800 mhz FSB, but it's running and it boots, so I doubt this. And even if so, I don't know how that would cause squealing through you speakers/headphones, whatever.

Sound stuff, Im real iffy on still, having only had minor problems to date, bad headphones , configurations etc.

Wait I just re read what you said, the freezing AND the sqealing stopped, when you put the NB fan on. Hmm, Im guessing this rig was running with the OC, before? Or did you OC it, recently?

Hmmm, well Ive got a spare PC with that same board and it doesn't have onboard video.

I was curious about your processor, as I know of a 3.16 core 2 duo, the E 8500. I have not found a 3.14 core 2 duo. That doesn't mean there isn't one, just I haven't found it. And I was more inclined to think Video Card problem, but.

You hear the squealing through the speakers, and, cooling the NB, has stopped the freazing. These seem like two different things, and neither one to do with your graphics card, as I assume your sound comes through the motherboard, or a sound card.

IDK, probably best to follow Quizicals' advice and start eliminating things one by one, which I beleive he is going to run you through. And much better than I can. That is if the new drivers dont solve your issue.

As a foot note, If you do infact have the E 8500, and it is running at 3.6. then the NB or front side bus has been pushed up some, probably not beyond the 1600 mhz that your board can handle, at least on paper, tho I would not think it would heat up to the point of freezing. The processor has been pushed beyond it's rating, 1300 mhz, but probably can handle it, mine does.

I just hope you dont have some other processor which has a much lower FSB rating, and your NB has been bumped to the point of overheating, say a 1600 FSB or North Bridge, on a processor with an 800 mhz FSB, but it's running and it boots, so I doubt this. And even if so, I don't know how that would cause squealing through you speakers/headphones, whatever.

Sound stuff, Im real iffy on still, having only had minor problems to date, bad headphones , configurations etc.

Wait I just re read what you said, the freezing AND the sqealing stopped, when you put the NB fan on. Hmm, Im guessing this rig was running with the OC, before? Or did you OC it, recently?

Nah, it was running with the overclock before.

Im trying to decide whether its the video card or the motherboard.  I dont want to replace both if only one of them is borked.