Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW makes me sad, I'm not sure if I can go back with Cataclysm.

vanuvanu Member Posts: 10

WoW for me holds a lot of nostalgia, like when it came out I was 16 and that's a very pivotal time in life where you do a lot of firsts like have a G/F and break ups, generally just doing things on your own. So when I look back at old WoW I get very nostalgic about life and how much time has gone by. I'm only 22, so not old or anything but you still look back and wish you could do these things again. So I find myself associating things in game to that part of my life and it makes me sad. I wish I could go back then and do WoW all over again and I thought Cataclysm would be perfect. Instead all I've found myself doing is wishing it was like how it was before when we all were experiencing it for the first time. I remember it being all better back then and nothing Cataclysm can do will live up to that.

My main gripes really is how everything has become much easier or how very even more solo based it has become. I hate how the world feels more like a load of instances and battlegrounds now and less like a world. Everyone is porting around and not really travelling or on flying mounts so you never see them cause of the short draw distance. I just miss the days when people would be making PVP scenarios in the world or raiding cities cause there were no battlegrounds. I also miss how when battlegrounds came out, everyone used to wait outside them, chatting and dueling eachother. 

I just wish'd they got everyone out of the instances and the battlegrounds and into the world. Even with Cataclysm the world will soon feel dead because everyone will be back in them and porting about. What makes it worse is flying mounts in the old world now, so we'll see even less of eachother. I want servers where we actually have to travel to places or wait outside battlegrounds. It brought up lots of kool scenarios of world PVP and meeting new people. I want the world to feel like a world and not like a game, which Blizzard has changed it into. The final thing is it feels like Blizzard has just tried to please everyone, so they've just put too much crap in. So now now item feels special cause there is just so much stuff, you don't know where you are anymore. No items feel special cause you know they'll be replaced or there are hundreds of others. The world feels more like Blizzard allstars, rather than it having a proper story, it's just like all the fan faves in one world, like a themepark or something. 

I dunno, I just don't think Cataclysm can rekindle my interest in the game anymore. Too much time has gone by, it doesn't feel like a virtual world anymore or a home, it feels just like a game now. 

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

This isn't just the WoW gripe. It happens with other MMOs too. UO has this gripe. EQ1 has this grip. EQ2 has this gripe.

Games change and every time they do there is a chance you will like it less. Some people like the changes, some people think they are terrible. The things that brought you in and fascinated you have become noramlized and run of the mill. It's just not as impressive to walk into Orgrimmar as it was in 2004. I think it's pretty normal to have these feelings and like all games, over time, WoWs population will diminish.

It's really tough to get that "new MMO feeling" back. People that have played MMOs for a long time and have seen them come and go know that, well, it'll never feel like UO again. It'll never feel like EQ1 again. And in your case, it'll never feel like WoW again. All those games exist, yet it'll never feel the same again.

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864

i know how you feel....it sucks.

• obssessionobssession Member Posts: 4

I know how you feel, some of the new changes i rly like, alot others i don't like. I think the only way is not to live to much in the past, try accept and enjoy the world as it is now, start a new char, make new friends, do the dungeons old school instead of most ppl gettin boosted through them. I see it like a long lasting relationship, you know eachother see the flaws of eachother , but it doesn't mean you can't relove eachother again, reinvent eachother. Maybe you could try find ppl for stuff like the pvp raids, i remember the crossroads - tarren mill battles, when i started the game i remember the crossroads participating in hughe battles, i didn't really know what was going on ot why i was killed being lvl 20, not realizing i was agaainst lvl 60. But i will never forget how epic it was, how good and fun it was to help your team. Wow has changed and so have we, but i will have wow in my heart forever.

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

all i can say is it is AV weekend right now and because of that i remembered why i loved WoW...

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by vanu

My main gripes really is how everything has become much easier or how very even more solo based it has become. I hate how the world feels more like a load of instances and battlegrounds now and less like a world.  

That's what WoW has always been like, that's why a majority of core MMORPG gamers don't like it, and the various clones that stemmed from it. 

• vanuvanu Member Posts: 10

Star Wars Galaxies massive seamless worlds and player cities.

Planetside's giant battles

Everquest and the feeling of being in a world for the first time

WoW the feeling of being in an MMO where everything is perfect for the first time. 

EVE Online being in space alone and it being so harsh

Everquest 2 the first MMO where everyone was forced to group and did and had fun

You just don't get these experiences anymore cause everything that has come out since these games has sucked. They don't try to be their own games anymore, it is always copy WoW and make a crappy clone that no one wants to play cause they already did it in WoW 6 years ago.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

When I played Ultima IV on the 64 when I was a kid I was listening to a New Order song a lot.  

Now when I hear that song I have this rush of nostalgia.  I fired up the old C64 and threw in the game after a lot of effort. . should have left it in the box.

Welcome to the rest of your life :P  Looking back on things and wishing you could get that old feeling back.  It is sad.  I will never experience anything like the first few months in UO.

Try to find some other new experience. . like caving or something :)

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by vanu

Star Wars Galaxies massive seamless worlds and player cities.

Planetside's giant battles

Everquest and the feeling of being in a world for the first time

WoW the feeling of being in an MMO where everything is perfect for the first time. 

EVE Online being in space alone and it being so harsh

Everquest 2 the first MMO where everyone was forced to group and did and had fun

You just don't get these experiences anymore cause everything that has come out since these games has sucked. They don't try to be their own games anymore, it is always copy WoW and make a crappy clone that no one wants to play cause they already did it in WoW 6 years ago.

EQ2 was the first forced grouping? What? That's crazy solo friendly, and NOT the first forced grouping. lmao, WoW the first perfect game? good lord... SWG seamless worlds were big, but totally empty. I'd much rather have the Vanguard or Darkfall seamless worlds. SWG player cities were also kind of flawed, urban sprawl needed to be taken care of. 

But yes, Planetside, Dark Age of Camelot, Darkfall, all had nice massive battles. 

And no, WoW was nothing but a bad copy of EQ so.. no it didn't try to be its own game. 

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

I'm sorry, but wow has always been more solo friendly than most other games.

• vanuvanu Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by leojreimroc

Yeh but before WoW all MMOs were like lets group and grind mobs. Everyone just ended up soloing and killing mobs that were alone, especially seeing as they were all dead, I remember in EQ doing this cause there were no quests. WoW and EQ2 came along and did lots of solo quests and then mixing it in there with group quests at the end of the chain. These were my first true meaningful group experiences in MMOs. Obviously I was grouping in SWG and EQ, however it always felt empty cause the world lacked proper content. It always ended up just killing mobs in them games, though EQ2 and WoW did story and objectives. 

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Most people can't go back to WoW. I tried several times and it keeps getting worse everytime I try to go back but finally I kicked that bad habit.

• xBludxxBludx Member Posts: 376

Originally posted by SaintViktor

Most people can't go back to WoW. I tried several times and it keeps getting worse everytime I try to go back but finally I kicked that bad habit.

After you've played enough of one game, it's time to move on. It's like breaking up with someone and getting back together again. After a while, you realize why you broke up in the first place.

On top of that, I found that my account got hacked and all my gold, crafting materials, etc. were gone and not replaceable. I really didn't want to grind all that stuff again. For what?

I played WoW for 2 years and it was fun. But I'm done.

A lot of the so-called AAA MMORPGs out now seem like variations on the WoW theme. As much as the hard-core fans of these games will hate the comparison, I've found it to be true in the case of games like Aion, WAR, AoC. Yes, there are small differences.

There are other games if you are willing to look into the niche titles available knowing that you will either love or hate these games and will need to spend some time getting to know them before making that determination. This requires patience and curiosity. I have found it well worth the effort. I also keep my eyes open for new games (sandbox titles these days) and hey...RL stuff until I get really obsessed with another game that's good enough.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Originally posted by xBludx

Originally posted by SaintViktor

After you've played enough of one game, it's time to move on. It's like breaking up with someone and getting back together again. After a while, you realize why you broke up in the first place.

On top of that, I found that my account got hacked and all my gold, crafting materials, etc. were gone and not replaceable. I really didn't want to grind all that stuff again. For what?

I played WoW for 2 years and it was fun. But I'm done.

A lot of the so-called AAA MMORPGs out now seem like variations on the WoW theme. As much as the hard-core fans of these games will hate the comparison, I've found it to be true in the case of games like Aion, WAR, AoC. Yes, there are small differences.

There are other games if you are willing to look into the niche titles available knowing that you will either love or hate these games and will need to spend some time getting to know them before making that determination. This requires patience and curiosity. I have found it well worth the effort. I also keep my eyes open for new games (sandbox titles these days) and hey...RL stuff until I get really obsessed with another game that's good enough.

Pretty much on the spot but though let me say it has been disappointing since Everquest because Blizzard copied EQ and copied the Warhammer license from Games Workshop. So really, it has been clone and clone after clone. At some point gamers just get sick of it. I don't blame them.

• FaelsunFaelsun Member UncommonPosts: 501

Originally posted by leojreimroc

I don't think he was referring to how solo friendly it is, I think the point is you dont see anyone in the open world alot since the game on top of everything else basically become a chat lobby. No world pvp, gank wars, town battles in arathi, STV pvp hunting kind of thing. The pvp gets worse, the PVE gets more simple the gear scales off the charts, and they build the game for casual kids to play and get armor sets in 5 mans while neglecting everyone else.