Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Guild Wars right for me?

joeyfishcakejoeyfishcake Member Posts: 57

I asked this on the LoTRO forum on this site and was told perhaps that Guild Wars would better suit me. Anyway here is my situation...

So lately I have been out and about looking for a new MMORPG. I went to EQ2 and really enjoyed it. However, they did a patch to their launcher and it has made the game very unstable for me. Others having same issue and I don't have much sunk into it so think I might just walk away from it. 

But what  im looking for is very solo friendly game. Where I can get comparable gear as everyone else without having to do raids 3 to 5 nights a week. Finding a social guild and being able to get stuff done when I can would be perfect for me. So was thinking of trying Guild Wars

I have a pretty crazy schedule and it varies greatly week to week. Raiding is nearly impossible for me Anyhow,  I will be spending most of my time soloing (sometimes play 4am to 8am.. next week I am playing during prime). So I need an extremely solo friendly game with a lot of solo content. I posted about such a game and was directed actually here.

Also, once I hit max level what kind of content am I looking at away from just killing mobs? Like WoW had achievements, trade skills, collecting gold for special items (vanity pets, mounts, etc etc). EQ2 has collections, messing around with your indoor housing, etc etc. Does Guild Wars offer much of that?

I really don't want to go back to WoW even though I know it is pretty solo friendly. I've just pretty much had enough of that game. God only knows how many hours I put into it.

Any help or insight anyone could give me would be great :)

Comments

• grimm6thgrimm6th Member Posts: 973

GW1 is just the game you want.  max armor is easy to get, and you won't even be close to finishing the game's primary story content when you get max level.  Playing solo is so easy because of henchmen NPCs and hero NPCs that you can use to fill your entire party.  After finishing the story part, you can go and get vanity Items like rare weapons by gathering materials and giving them to certain crafters (destroyer weapons) or by farming bosses if you like that sort of thing.  You can also get prestige armor that has the same armor rating as normal armor but with better looks.  the game is pretty active right now too because of the hall of monuments (in the eye of the north expansion) unlocking items for GW2.

I used to TL;DR, but then I took a bullet point to the footnote.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Yeah you will have fun. You aquire heroes as you progress through the PvE aspect of the game and can hire henchmen. You can go through quite a bit of the content of the game without grouping. It will be much easier grouping, but if you keep wierd hours you will find you can still get by with out too much trouble.

Archlinux ftw

• kirawatskirawats Member Posts: 57

You can give Guild Wars free trial and see what you think of it. From your description it might work for your play style. However, I find LOTRO quite solo able. I'm playing both game at the moment, however I have been get into Guild Wars a lot lately try to get more points for HoM. I want the orange tubby cat in GW2! :P

There are lots of achievements to be collect in Guild Wars from over 300 skills span over three campaigns (Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall) and expansion (Eye of the North), Titles, Exploration, Pets, and more. All your achievement you do here will allow you to gain extra items in Guild Wars 2 as well, so the time spend would not go to waste.

Some may be put off that Guild Wars is heavy with instances for each area, you will only see other strangers in town/outpost area, and some part of the game you can't solo without the help of NPC henchmen (and Hero if you have Nightfall). All in all, just give it a try and see how you like it.

• joeyfishcakejoeyfishcake Member Posts: 57

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to give the 14 day trial a shot.

Quick question though. How much content is there to do since it is so instance based and such? I am guessing quite a bit since its considered mmorpg instead of single player game.

We talking Oblivion here or are we talking WoW? just curious

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Originally posted by joeyfishcake

Thanks everyone for the replies. I am going to give the 14 day trial a shot.

Quick question though. How much content is there to do since it is so instance based and such? I am guessing quite a bit since its considered mmorpg instead of single player game.

We talking Oblivion here or are we talking WoW? just curious

Depends. Some people consider leveling up content, and if you're one of them, then very little. Max level is 20. However you'll reach that almost instantly in Factions/Nightfall and fairly quickly in Prophecies campaigns, because leveling means very little. The core meat of Guild Wars is the storyline, which there is a LOT of. Each campaign is comprised a long chain of missions, some have 'this or that' lines meaning you have to make a choice (though at the end of the campaign, you get to go back and do the things you didn't). There's also so many skills, titles, quests and things to collect that people who have been playing since day one are still trying to get caught up.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Doing the trial is always the best way and just because it is instanced doesn't mean it lacks content. Between Prophecies, Factions, Nightfall and Eye of the North you will not be running out of content anytime soon rest assured.

• C0MAC0MA Member Posts: 522

I tried Guild Wars when it launched and didn't like it because I was at the time into MMO's. I just bought the entire pack recently to build a character in preparation for Guild Wars 2 rewards and I feel like I robbed myself of a quality experience long ago. If only I could turn back the hands of time. Guild Wars is a much better game than you would gain an opinion of in a brief run through early game.

"Sometimes people say stuff they don''t mean, but more often then that they don''t say things they do mean"

• Clubmaster22Clubmaster22 Member Posts: 279

In one word: Yes!

I'm in exactly the same boat as you, maintained my wow-account for months not beeing able to play and WHEN i got to play i had to deal with the cesspool that is called "Dungeonfinder" (i love it as a feature, but the people....). Waiting, wiping, doing the same dungeons over and over and over for a few badges just didn't do it for me anymore.

Guild Wars is nothing like that. The game let's you do what and when you want to do it and every minute in this game is quality time. No waiting, no grieving, no disadvantages if you're not in a tightly knit guild. I'm having a blast right now, i just wish i played it sooner (tried it at release but the wow-craze that happenend at the same time swallowed me too) but i know perfectly well that this will last me until Guild Wars 2 and beyond. It's an abolutly awesome game that is nowadays the best bang for the buck you can get in the genre. By a looooong shot. Just make sure to buy the complete package, you'll want to have them either way and you can save even more money.

EDIT: Just not let that lv.20-cap fool you into thinking that there's not much content in there. That's a fatal misconception i had, when it first came out. Leveling to 20 is not more than the tutorial. As soon as you realize this it begins to dawn on you how much content there really is. With all the campaigns and expansions Guld Wars is a content monster which will last a guy with a limited time budget more than a year to just see it all, let alone master. Oh yeah and than there's PvP... .

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

I tried Guild Wars when it launched and didn't like it because I was at the time into MMO's. I just bought the entire pack recently to build a character in preparation for Guild Wars 2 rewards and I feel like I robbed myself of a quality experience long ago. If only I could turn back the hands of time. Guild Wars is a much better game than you would gain an opinion of in a brief run through early game.

lol, exactly what happened to me two months ago.

• noHacknoHack Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Tailz2k7

He has stolen my words, though in the early stage of the game it was much easier to find people to do missions and story content, but there are hundreds of Guilds and Alliances at the moment and you will always find somone to help or do something with you, and since the game as a main server where lots of players from alot of regions play at the same time, the game is always crowded and it is fun at any time. Since you may like solo the game provides that kind of gameplay though sometimes you have to get players with you since Heroes and Henchmen AI doesn't make soloing possible.

In short terms:

-You can play it and have fun whether you like soloing or social gameplay.

I hope i see you ingame :D

Originally posted by noHack Since you may like solo the game provides that kind of gameplay though sometimes you have to get players with you since Heroes and Henchmen AI doesn't make soloing possible.

Even that isn't true. As soon as you learn how to micromanage your heroes and henchies, even the most difficult PvE-content is soloable. It's not easy-breazy by all means but than again, it shouldn't be in the first place. The AI is very competent, you just have to equip your heroes right, both with skills and equipment (in this game every statuspoint counts) and on top of this, micromanagement is key. A player who knows his heroes and henchies is much more successful than a party of humans who don't know the intricacies of this games systems.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Some of the istances like Deep, Underworld, and DoA can't be soloed (parts of them are soloable, mostly by farmers). But for the most part, all of the content can be done with Henchmen and Heros (with a few excepted areas).