Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SE is dying.

Here is a couple shots of the company's stock numbers over the last few years.

2 year numbers

5 year numbers

This is why the biggest stock holder ragequit and why SE needed to release FF14 in such a disasterous state.  The stock value has been cut in half. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
"The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

Comments

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

I am guessing by your response and supposal "proof" that you don't actually realize how stock markets work.

Chart forNIKKEI 225 (^N225)

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

Watching a companies stock has no relevance to on if a company is going under or not. I do investments for a living and can tell you that while banks stocks seem to go up and up and up, most of them that are posting huge profits are in the red because of a few new accounting changes that let them "pay off" the bad debt that is owed to them with their own revenue. This in turn lets them make their revenue stream look much higher (since they dont have to deduct the $$ they are paying off their bad debt with) while their toxic debt looks much lower. all the while they are drowning in defaulted loans.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm guessing there are a lot of companies that have seen a decline in stock prices since 2007. I wonder what could have affected them?

/sarcasm off

• SelpharesSelphares Member Posts: 430

Originally posted by colddog04

I'm guessing there are a lot of companies that have seen a decline in stock prices since 2007. I wonder what could have affected them?

/sarcasm off

I totally agree with you.

It was for sure a bad game they made *nods* There is no world wide financial crisis ;).

[Mod edit]

• Darkheart00Darkheart00 Member Posts: 521

/sarcasm off

Actually most game company stocks with exception of take two have actually recovered to 2007 levels. Can't say much about Square Enix since i don't follow that company.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

/sarcasm off

If you are talking about the economy effecting growth in the gaming industry you may be surprised to hear that gaming is still growing in spite the economy.  It's a cost effective way to be entertained for the most part and people resort to video games in times when paying for the gas to go someplace else is even a little too much. 

This topic was discussed in this post which was in Feb of 09'

http://www.inc.com/articles/2009/02/gaming.html 

You can find massive amounts of data on other video game industry growth during this economic crisis if you take the time to look.  Overall the gaming industry hasn't taken any hit from the economy so the economy excuse doesn't really work for video game companies.

Even with that point aside, it doesn't matter why SE stock has fallen so low just that it has and with the games they have been releasing over the last few years there may be a connection.  I am betting there is.  What came first?  The company losing money because of bad games or bad games being developed because they didn't want to spend the money to develop better?  Hard to say. 

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

Umm, trading volume and stock value are actually 2 different things.

Now, in the that other dimension called "the basement", they could infact be the same... Wait, SE who!  ;)

Originally posted by Luthor_X

Umm, trading volume and stock value are actually 2 different things.

Now, in the that other dimension called "the basement", they could infact be the same... Wait, SE who!  ;)

Yeah it is different but you know what it else it is, Symptomatic. Since you want to go into it so deep though, and clearly you do right? You think there was anything else happening around Jan 09 that might be reflected in volume and price? How about with other companies? If I pulled up a company's graph in price OR volume in Jan 09, you think they might show a similar dip? How about companies in Japan? The US? Europe?

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

Clearly there is a difference between thousands and millions.  Keep the scale in mind when reading chart information.  "One" penny is not the same as "One" dollar and not the same as "One" thousand or "One" million. 

Usually when you see stock information down is "bad" and up is "good".  You can take that information and spin it however you want.  If you are in the range of thousands.. down is much worse than if you are in the range of hundreds of millions obviously.  The best kind of information is the kind that speaks for itself. 

Originally posted by choujiofkono

Clearly there is a difference between thousands and millions.  Keep the scale in mind when reading chart information.  "One" penny is not the same as "One" dollar and not the same as "One" thousand or "One" million. 

Usually when you see stock information down is "bad" and up is "good".  You can take that information and spin it however you want.  If you are in the range of thousands.. down is much worse than if you are in the range of hundreds of millions obviously.  The best kind of information is the kind that speaks for itself. 

Do you know that this is measured in Yen? Do you know the difference between 1000 yen and 1000 dollars?

Would you look at that? EA since 2007 has gone down too!

http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NASDAQ:ERTS

I'm sure I can do this for a whole load of companies.

Do you know that this is measured in Yen? Do you know the difference between 1000 yen and 1000 dollars?

I don't know what you are arguing about really.  Noone is comparing yen to dollars. 

1 yen is smaller than, 1 hundred yen is smaller than, 1 thousand yen is smaller than, 1 million yen.  Scale still applies to everything and exchange rate isn't even discussed in this thread. 

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

I don't know... When I look at Yahoo Finance charts, it seems they are doing OK. They are still well in the green.

• BlackndBlacknd Member Posts: 600

SE isn't dying.

.. But in a good way.

• scythe99scythe99 Member Posts: 326

I notice the games made by the Enix side (Star ocean etc) Never get as negative reviews as the squaresoft side of things. Square needs to focus more on gameplay and less on graphics for their game, and also less on Emo main chars too.

"An MMORPG could be completely diffirent from WoW. Just look at games like Dofus, Wizard101 or EVE. But as it is, most of the Western MMOs are trying to succeed by out-WoWing WoW. It's like an army of 10 sports games made about same sports, and barely none about other sports. WoW clone is an accurate description of those games, it manages to convey much information with only two words."
    -Poster on mmorpg.com

Rift: World of Warcraft clone #9321 Nothing special to see here move along.

I don't know what you are arguing about really.  Noone is comparing yen to dollars. 

1 yen is smaller than, 1 hundred yen is smaller than, 1 thousand yen is smaller than, 1 million yen.  Scale still applies to everything and exchange rate isn't even discussed in this thread. 

Percent lost is what matters. Not the flat number you are referring to. And yes, their stock has gone down a sizable percentage since 2007. Just like almost every other gaming company has.

Percent lost is what matters. Not the flat number you are referring to. And yes, their stock has gone down a sizable percentage since 2007. Just like almost every other gaming company has.

You agree to the point so I don't know what you are arguing about really.  EA stock has nothing to do with SE stock and they aren't in the same scale anyway.  Hense the scale lesson. 

Say EA stock is falling like a rock off a cliff, it is meaningless to the SE discussion.  I don't even play EA games and don't think I've been tempted to buy one in quite some time actually. 

If we had to put a reason to EA stock decline I would tend to look at this article and do some research on it.

http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/10/12/bad-video-game-reviews-sink-ea-stock-price/

It seems to provide some further insight to the stock vs. crappy games correlation. 

You can find much more information on this topic all over the web.  Seems EA has been releasing crap games lately also.  So again the question becomes... did the crap games cause the stock problems or did the stock problems cause the crappy games.  It is an interesting conundrum. 

Either way you look at it SE stock is very low, the games they have out have been poorly recieved, and the future isn't looking all that good for them as a whole.  Maybe the same could be said for EA, I have no idea.  Somehow with the sports games I think it's kind of a different playing field. 

You agree to the point so I don't know what you are arguing about really.  EA stock has nothing to do with SE stock and they aren't in the same scale anyway.  Hense the scale lesson. 

Say EA stock is falling like a rock off a cliff, it is meaningless to the SE discussion.  I don't even play EA games and don't think I've been tempted to buy one in quite some time actually. 

If we had to put a reason to EA stock decline I would tend to look at this article and do some research on it.

http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/10/12/bad-video-game-reviews-sink-ea-stock-price/

It seems to provide some further insight to the stock vs. crappy games correlation. 

You can find much more information on this topic all over the web.  Seems EA has been releasing crap games lately also.  So again the question becomes... did the crap games cause the stock problems or did the stock problems cause the crappy games.  It is an interesting conundrum. 

Either way you look at it SE stock is very low, the games they have out have been poorly recieved, and the future isn't looking all that good for them as a whole.  Maybe the same could be said for EA, I have no idea.  Somehow with the sports games I think it's kind of a different playing field. 

I'm not arguing. I'm making some additional observations.

Most companies, including most gaming companies, have seen a major hit since 2007. SE has seen their stock go down as have most other companies.

If I wanted to, I could make an argument that says they aren't "dying" pretty easily. I could also make an argument than almost every company is "dying." Both arguments would be ridiculous in my opinion.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

lol, this is funny.

Apparently a lot of folks believe the game is broken... including you.  Whether you decide to keep paying for it is your business.  Somehow I think you will choose to move on after the free time has expired. 

This thread is really just looking at possible  reasons why SE gaming division is making such lousy games lately.  Maybe they don't have the cash for investment to do any better?  Maybe they have devoted to much of it to their ringtones and other non-gaming related junk in other parts of their company?  Who knows.  Either way this particular segment of SE is looking a little lackluster. 

If SE had something good to talk about going on then you'd be hearing good stuff.  Sadly, that's not the case. 

Apparently a lot of folks believe the game is broken... including you.  Whether you decide to keep paying for it is your business.  Somehow I think you will choose to move on after the free time has expired. 

This thread is really just looking at possible  reasons why SE gaming division is making such lousy games lately.  Maybe they don't have the cash for investment to do any better?  Maybe they have devoted to much of it to their ringtones and other non-gaming related junk in other parts of their company?  Who knows.  Either way this particular segment of SE is looking a little lackluster. 

If SE had something good to talk about going on then you'd be hearing good stuff.  Sadly, that's not the case. 

This thread isn't really looking at anything. It is taking a graph out of the big picture and using it to sensualize the idea of SE dying.  Looking back at your OP, there isn't much about reasons for anything other than look at the chart, it's going down mentality when the recession pretty much ensure most companies had trade volume going down and prices going down (the two are linked) at about the same time SE did, and not just companies in the industry but other industries as well.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Originally posted by Nesrie

I am guessing by your response and supposal "proof" that you don't actually realize how stock markets work.

lol

• Werecool01Werecool01 Member UncommonPosts: 60

Originally posted by Nesrie

Oh my god... Japan is dying >_<

• wizyear2099wizyear2099 Member UncommonPosts: 310

This doesn't mean nothing..... thread is to show how much you like to troll on ff14 :P

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I don't like FFXIV either, but if you think SE is dying you are as delusional as everybody who says the game is perfect. What were you hoping would happen as a result of this thread? It's nothing but flamebait