Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

64 bits are twice as many as 32 bits

cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

the new awesome blog http://www.eveonline.com/devblog.asp?a=blog&bid=813

is awesome just because that pic is epc in some way

BestSigEver :P

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

funnily enough 256 bit is more than 128 bit...  can't imagine why nobody noticed this before! image

• mrw0lfmrw0lf Member Posts: 2,269

I'd of added depth to the chart and taken out the y-axis grid lines but aprt from that the chart is pretty epic.

-----
    “The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species.”

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

They sure do love their graph's.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Originally posted by Phry

funnily enough 256 bit is more than 128 bit...  can't imagine why nobody noticed this before! image

256/2=128

Did you just troll the crap out of me?

Or were you for real?

The education system fails either way.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

/off topic

i just googled Creber Cattus and i get the PIC from first post this really scares me

BestSigEver :P

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Holy shit this is so pro. Reminds me of so many bad hardware reviews i have read. Like sweet bro double the bits.

Obviously a gooder system.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by theartist

Originally posted by Phry

256/2=128

Did you just troll the crap out of me?

Or were you for real?

The education system fails either way.

sarcasm bro.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Funny blog post.  The gist of it is that they're fixing a programming oversight caused by code written before they expected the game to become as popular as it has.  It's vaguely analogous to the Y2K bug, in that they didn't include enough digits originally.

• TyphadoTyphado Member Posts: 177

now how many mmo's out there use graphs in their blogs just because they can?

hehehe image

Into the breach meatbags

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Originally posted by Quizzical

Funny blog post.  The gist of it is that they're fixing a programming oversight caused by code written before they expected the game to become as popular as it has.  It's vaguely analogous to the Y2K bug, in that they didn't include enough digits originally.

When coding, you usually try to work with the smallest data type that affords you the greatest space for what you are working on. This is often because of memory constraints, software limitations or performance reasons that may have existed at the time the code was written.

An excellent example of this is the memory wall of 32-bit applications. When testing StacklessIO on Jita, 1,400 was pretty much the player limit because the system simply ran out of memory. Storing information in larger data types would have just caused the system to hit the wall faster.Porkbelly had blogged about the memory limit three or four years prior:

"A common cause for node deaths is memory exhaustion. Sometimes this is due to some memory-eating monsterbug, but often the virtual address space of 2GB in a 32-bit process simply fills up with legitimate user data. No matter how much memory is installed on the machine, each process can only address 2GB of this" - CCP Porkbelly, 64 BITS Dev Blog

I'd say the Y2K issue saw even worse cases where programmers were up against several technical limitations. Storing and working with '73' instead of '1973' was often a design choice for performance and memory conservation, and not out of laziness or lack of foresight. Also, at the time that many of those programs were created, the code itself was kept as short as possible because 'TD$' takes up significantly less space in memory than valTransactionDate$, and memory allotted for your application was commonly very limited.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• OrphesOrphes Member UncommonPosts: 3,039

Originally posted by Jetrpg

Holy shit this is so pro. Reminds me of so many bad hardware reviews i have read. Like sweet bro double the bits.

Obviously a gooder system.

Yeah it is pro...

Sarcasms aside though. When they /just/ double the amount of bits did they also /just/ double the amount of data they could use?

context

I'm so broke. I can't even pay attention.
    "You have the right not to be killed"

• rturjarturja Member Posts: 199

Originally posted by Orphes 

Yeah it is pro...

Sarcasms aside though. When they /just/ double the amount of bits did they also /just/ double the amount of data they could use?

They only multiplied  the amount of things by 2^32, slightly over double...

Playing: AC2
    Played: UO, DaoC, Horizons, Ryzom, WAR, LotRO, Eve, VG...

Originally posted by rturja

Originally posted by Orphes 

Yeah it is pro...

They only multiplied  the amount of things by 2^32, slightly over double...

Yeah it is :)

They merely multiplied their usable amount of item ID's with a factor of 4294967298 byt just doubling the amount of bits.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by cosy

The statement in the pic is so untrue... 

"Before this upcoming change these IDs could go up to 2,147,483,647 but after the change it can go up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807"

Dunno, but this is a bit more than 2x ;-)

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by cosy

The statement in the pic is so untrue... 

"Before this upcoming change these IDs could go up to 2,147,483,647 but after the change it can go up to 9,223,372,036,854,775,807"

Dunno, but this is a bit more than 2x ;-)

That is where the context part comes in.

For some pictures speaks a thousand words, for others not a single word.

Incase there actually is someone that seriously do not understand the rethorics in using that simple and obvious picture.

Here is that full picture...

• vkaynevkayne Member Posts: 42

$8.00 > $4.00

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

"11 is 1 higher than 10!"