Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selecting a monitor

murphys123murphys123 Member Posts: 216

I am looking for a new monitor for gaming and typical daily use. I would like a bigger monitor (above 24"/below 30"), but do not want to sacrifice picture quality and performance simply for screen size. I have these two monitors in mind as they are closer to my buget. Which of the following do you think will have the best picture/performance. Will there be a difference in quality? Thanks for any advice.

ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen (Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LYPNFQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0P8AM760ZFDYC5FM60QP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' (from Newegg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052

Comments

• VindictusVindictus Member UncommonPosts: 49

Get the larger one. It ends up being nicer in the long run.

• FactFact Member UncommonPosts: 82

After much research I just placed an order for this;

Dell U2311

It's 23" however, but all I read made up my mind for me relative to the cost.

This is a pretty interesting article too 'Best 27-Inch to 30-inch LCD Monitors', however it's a bit old now.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Originally posted by murphys123

I am looking for a new monitor for gaming and typical daily use. I would like a bigger monitor (above 24"/below 30"), but do not want to sacrifice picture quality and performance simply for screen size. I have these two monitors in mind as they are closer to my buget. Which of the following do you think will have the best picture/performance. Will there be a difference in quality? Thanks for any advice.

ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen (Amazon)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LYPNFQ/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d0_i1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-3&pf_rd_r=0P8AM760ZFDYC5FM60QP&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938811&pf_rd_i=507846

Hanns-G HZ281HPB 27.5'' (from Newegg)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254052

I got the Hanns-G one :  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3754947#3754947

Totally recommend it, lots of space, thing is massive. No dead pixels, HDMI connections. I just ordered my wife the 25" version awaiting delivery.

The review of the best 27" to 30" link from the poster above shows the old version of the Hanns-G new one on Newegg has extra HDMI and better stand.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

Ugh skip the hans-g my friend bought one of those and it did't even last a year I suggest getting a samsung since they are one of the best probably next to sony the 2333HD was pretty good but its only 23 inches I know they have a larger version thats the monitor I suggest 

• swing848swing848 Member UncommonPosts: 292

Actually Hanns-G is a very good monitor.  Everything electrical can fail, that is why warranties exist. 

I have a friend that used to purchase the most expensive monitors [for their size] and they all failed.  The reason is he lives in the country and the electricity there is dirty, very poor.  I have urged him for years to purchase a good UPS, they can be purchased for just over $100, and he always refused.  This guy has had all kinds of hardware problems with his computer from motherboard failures to hard drives, and almost everything in between.  He never listens and continues to pour money down the hole.

I am not saying your friend with the Hanns-G is the same kind of person.  I  hate it when a piece of hardware goes bad for whatever reason.  Some hardware comes from the factory defective, some with a weak component that eventually fails, then the consumer has to pay shipping to have it repaired.

I do agree that Samsung is my favorite, in part because of the high quality vs cost ratio.

Intel Core i7 7700K, MB is Gigabyte Z270X-UD5
    SSD x2, 4TB WD Black HHD, 32GB RAM, MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning LE video card

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

I bought the SyncMaster P2770HD 27' and pretty happy with it so far. The fact I can watch TV on it without a Tuner is an extra bonus.

• chiajiocchiajioc Member Posts: 1

I've only been researching monitors for about a week now, and here's mine:

Price should be between $500-1000. I want an overall excellent monitor to do a variety of tasks. I need a monitor with an IPS panel to do photo editing because of the color accuracy and overall image equality. I also intend to watch movies on it, so I want the exceptional viewing angles as well. I want to do some gaming on it, so a reasonable response time and low input lag is essential. I'll do some programming on it, so I'll want to add a second monitor in the future (since this is my ideal setup for coding in). Finally, I want a pony too (just kidding, I hope I didn't sound too demanding)

The Dell U2410 seemed like a good choice, but there seems to be a lot of manufacturer issues (such as the green/pink tint issue Dell doesn't want to be bothered to fix). I guess revision a01 will fix the dithering issue in sRGB mode though.

I've also looked at the HP LP2475W, but it's somewhat out of date now.

I've also considered the nec lcd2490wuxi, but it is very pricy, and I don't know how well it would handle games.

There are many posts here discussing each of these, but what is the general consensus? I guess I should just stop concerning myself with finding that "perfect" monitor and just except the flaws that these monitors have.

• WrouwruuWrouwruu Member Posts: 1

Samsung P2270HD 22-inch Full HD 1080p LCD TV. It's Ultra-slim and ultra-elegant, the ToC design is inspired by the artistic integrity of hand blown glass. this monitor came out as being good value, good quality, looks to die for and low power consumption.The image quality is brilliant and the contrast ratio good. You won't be overwhelmed by it but given the price it is a good deal.