Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes EQ2 different then other MMO's?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

-The Guild system is much deeper and involving then other games.

-The advancement system AA is much deeper then any other class system,  it really allows for freedom to create the character you want.

-The mentoring system combined with the Above AA system makes going back to lower level content fun and usefull.

-Advancement speed, by using the AA slider people can set their own advancement speed, lower leveling speed means more AA's, more rare drops, more gold, better armor and so a more powerfull character while leveling and enjoying the content.

-The sheer amount of Quest content, this is the game for people that love lore combined with grinding stories and quests.

-Crafting, the process is fun and many crafts are actually usefull.

-Housing, the housing system is unique and has more impact then in any other game, its the only game where i have fun decorating my house. With house instances there are no more dreaded empty housing zones. Its the best of 2 worlds.

-Gathering, the addition of rare drops adds atleast some excitement to gathering

-Collections, this is the only game with a collection system. I do like it and finding the right stuff gives a reward for those that love to explore.

-Class and race choice are way beyound the typicall WoW clone...

-Immersion, somehow the game immerses me more then any other game except LOTRO, I do love the mellee annimations and the spoken quest texts for important quests. I really love the lore, but i do have an extended EQ1 background.

-Open dungeons. The dungeons are verry diverse from caves till castles to real dungeons and they are very different from the typically WoW instnaced dungeos. A good game should have both tough, instanced and open dungeons.

These are the things that for me make EQ2 stand out above the typicall WoW clone(including WoW)

If the game would have been like this at release, then WoW would have had true competition.....

Anything else that i forgot about?  there really is so much to get excited about......

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• anielianieli Member Posts: 114

I am currently playing EQ2 and I am having a blast. The controlled leveling experience, the multiple ways for advancing your char + tons of solo things to do (crafting, collections, diff types of quests + housing + lore books + collecting vanity items + appearance system) makes the game an experience like no other.

Housing, god, the housing is just pure win.

kthxbye

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Not sure I could advise people to take EQ2 over WoW, but it's probably the best themepark alternative.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I probably love the mentoring system the most --- and wish more mmos supported something similar

SOE wasnt the first mmo to do this (I believe City of Heroes sidekicks was)

but I'm glad they have it  :)

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

So much easier to find a guild with the guild window. Also very easy to get your guild organized with all the UI EQ2 has to offer.

In addition guild levels ensure that they stay around for a little while, since in WoW for instance there's really nothing that prevents anyone from /disband from one day to the next without giving it a bit of thought (Blizz must have realized this since they will be adding guild levels as well). I'm in a guild that's been created beginning of 2005 and it is still the founder that runs it.

Also as said above housing is just top-notch. Being able to play around with furniture and create something brand new just by using bits & pieces & the geometry is awesome! This is pure sandbox!

• chaoster89chaoster89 Member Posts: 56

What makes eq2 different? 

1.Worst engine in MMO history

2.Characters who look like plastic dolls

3.One of the most elitest community (even tough they cant bind past 5)

4.empty world 

5.most areas are very bland and generic

6.very very easy progression aka turn the boss away from the raid and blow him up

7.generic dungeons and raids nothing special.

8.you are forced to buy armor in the cash shop because the one you get from raids for the most part looks so bad its unbearable.

9.SOE runs it

10.theres a damn cash shop

11.theres a damn cash shop

12.oh yes,theres a damn cash shop

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100

The housing is amazing I absolutely loved it. My god the total freedom to decorate and the sheer possibilities and design options for furniture ,rugs ,trophies. God I miss that about EQ 2 and all you have to do to solve the cash shop issue is to sub which I would choose.

Chamber of Chains
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Nadia

I probably love the mentoring system the most --- and wish more mmos supported something similar

IMO the EQ2 mentor system sucks balls. Only your skills, HP/MP is tuned down as mentor and the rest you can keep. So you're walking around in OP armour, with OP weapons, and using skills you should not have on the level of your pupil, and you kill all (including raids solo with your pupil in the back (yes, my mentor did this, but that was only to help with a heroic quest).

FFXI also has a similar system, where your whole character is tuned down to the level of the one you're in party with. Doing so, you're as high as the highest in the party. No OP powerplay, but a regular low-bee party.

If I have to choose between EQ2 or FFXI mentor system, I'd rather have FFXI. At least I can help in the party then ;-)

[EDIT]

The rest, both OP and Chaoster89 I agree with all points. EQ2 has some excellent things incorporated, but also some real bad things :(

@Chaoster89 - Yes, EQ2 has a cash shop, but it's all fluff there. What does bother me is that prices in the cash shop for EQ2 and EQ2X are equal. A Halloween mount costs $25 on both EQ2 and EQ2X (kinda overpriced IMO), but also regular "fast mounts" are $25. Though I could not care less about mounts because I'm a troubadour and have a basic runspeed on 47% on level 26 already, I'm pretty sure I'll outrun all mounts when I'm 50+ :P But all other items in the cash shop are a bit expensive as well. I take a regular look at it, but I won't buy a thing there. Also because most stuff from the cash shop can be gained in-game as well...

• jybgessjybgess Member Posts: 355

Originally posted by chaoster89

4.empty world 

6.very very easy progression aka turn the boss away from the raid and blow him up

8.you are forced to buy armor in the cash shop because the one you get from raids for the most part looks so bad its unbearable.

9.SOE runs it

This

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Atleast explain how the content is dull, anyways I disagree once you get past lowbie levels the content gets much deeper and story driven, you did not play on a highly populated server thats your fault for not researching it first, I never had issues getting a group and I chose the rp servers.

Cash shop is only on the f2p I believe I could be wrong, eq2 wins hands down when it comes to depth, probably one of the deeper mmos out there.

• CaralthinCaralthin Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Angelbound

Atleast explain how the content is dull I disagree once you get past lowbie levels the content gets much deeper and story driven, also you did not play on a highly populated server thats your fault for not researching it first, I never had issues I choice the rp servers.

Cash shop is only on the f2p I believe I could be wrong, eq2 wins hands down when it comes to depth, probably one of the deeper mmos out there.

You are a biased, slavish fanboi.  Your opinion is meaningless, please head back to your corporate masters for some beatings.  Also, you "choose", not "choice".  Please become acquainted with the English language and try again.

• AngelboundAngelbound Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,437

Carathan your attempt to flame me is pretty sad, I never insulted you in any form, all I was saying is you can actually explain how it is dull, and you where challenged to explain and this is how you react? I wonder how you act in real life everytime a new challenge comes your way.

And no I actually dislike soe I just enjoy the game, and please for godsakes stop abusing the word fanboy and stop using the same old insults as everyone else can you atleast try and be differant and not such a robot? Eq2 has its faults so do other mmorpgs, but if you actually paid for the game you would understand why some of us actually enjoy it.

But maybe simplistic games like wow are for you, since you obviously act like most of the robots I met in that game anyways, if you do not like eq2 do not come in here and complain about it like a whiney child, just go play what you enjoy and stop wasting everyones time with your nonsense.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

4.empty world 

9.SOE runs it

1. lame

2. lame

3. wrong

4. funny

5. funny

6. funny

7. lame

8. FUNNY

9. so what

10. so what

11. so what

12. oh yeah, so what..

• YasouYasou Member Posts: 86

What's wrong with cash shops? Nobody forces you to buy.

And whether people like it or not cash shops are the next-gen business models so you better get used to it.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Yasou

And whether people like it or not cash shops are the next-gen business models so you better get used to it.

This, get used to it or stop playing mmos.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

4.empty world 

9.SOE runs it

A typical reply of a WoW fanboy, stick with WoW and hold your tongue..

EQ2 got the best aspects of a mmorpg today.

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

EQ2 is a WoW Clone

nuff said

U mad bro?

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• snoockysnoocky Member UncommonPosts: 724

EQ2 was released before WoW. It is not a WoW clone and it does not rip off WoW.

Just google it m8..

So who is cloning who?

Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.

Edgar Allan Poe

• EdliEdli Member Posts: 941

Why would a p2p game have a cash shop? Aren't we already pay the monthly fee? 

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by warmaster670

This, get used to it or stop playing mmos.

yea sure why not let companies take 200$ for a game, am sure the gaming companies are willing to accept it as the new standard...

will never play another MMO with a cashshop + subscribtions, even if means I ll never play a MMO again, cancelled my EvE account by the rumour of it working on incorporate a fluff cashshop alone.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by dinams

EQ2 is a WoW Clone

Wow is a EQ clone and SOE do have the right to use their own mechanics, so the cloner here is Blizzard.

But to answer the OP: EQ2 does not really have that much no other games have. They do have a lot of content, nice raids, better crafting than most MMOs and a nice community but few things are unique in it. And the thing EQ2 were first with have already been introduced in other MMOs later.

EQ2 is a pretty nice game but if you want a game with different ideas you should look somewhere else instead. The game is a sequel building on EQ but they made it easier and less time consuming. 

Played it for 3 years and it is worth a try but it is not that different from Wow, LOTRO and the rest.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by Nadia

IMO the EQ2 mentor system sucks balls. Only your skills, HP/MP is tuned down as mentor and the rest you can keep. So you're walking around in OP armour, with OP weapons, and using skills you should not have on the level of your pupil, and you kill all (including raids solo with your pupil in the back (yes, my mentor did this, but that was only to help with a heroic quest).

FFXI also has a similar system, where your whole character is tuned down to the level of the one you're in party with. Doing so, you're as high as the highest in the party. No OP powerplay, but a regular low-bee party.

If I have to choose between EQ2 or FFXI mentor system, I'd rather have FFXI. At least I can help in the party then ;-)

[EDIT]

The rest, both OP and Chaoster89 I agree with all points. EQ2 has some excellent things incorporated, but also some real bad things :(

@Chaoster89 - Yes, EQ2 has a cash shop, but it's all fluff there. What does bother me is that prices in the cash shop for EQ2 and EQ2X are equal. A Halloween mount costs $25 on both EQ2 and EQ2X (kinda overpriced IMO), but also regular "fast mounts" are $25. Though I could not care less about mounts because I'm a troubadour and have a basic runspeed on 47% on level 26 already, I'm pretty sure I'll outrun all mounts when I'm 50+ :P But all other items in the cash shop are a bit expensive as well. I take a regular look at it, but I won't buy a thing there. Also because most stuff from the cash shop can be gained in-game as well...

on the mentoring, you should have seen how it used to work a half year after release :P.  used to have to safe gear from all tiers, as couldnt wear your higher level items :P

either way do agree its silly how you get over powered as a mentor, but on the other hand am certain there is alot who like it, safes the hazzle of finding groups when trying to help few friends level new chars - at the same time that is one reason there rarely  is any lower level groups going

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

-The Guild system is much deeper and involving then other games.

If by deeper you mean it hurts start ups by keeping them from using features, then yes.

-The advancement system AA is much deeper then any other class system,  it really allows for freedom to create the character you want.

Umm no.  WoW, CoX, LotRO, EQ, WAR, AoC, DDO all have great AA systems.

-The mentoring system combined with the Above AA system makes going back to lower level content fun and usefull.

Hardly the only game to have mentoring or the only one to let you go back to a level by yourself.  Is however the only one where you are retardly overpowered.  I soloed every instance through Kunark solo using this system.

-Advancement speed, by using the AA slider people can set their own advancement speed, lower leveling speed means more AA's, more rare drops, more gold, better armor and so a more powerfull character while leveling and enjoying the content.

Except that the leveling curve is so easy that ploughing to 90 doesn't need gear or gold.  AA being tied to questing, disco and combat is unbalanced.  Much prefer a set number.  Getting to 90 and being told to go get 200+ AA sucks.  Getting to 90 with 200 AA sucks more.

-The sheer amount of Quest content, this is the game for people that love lore combined with grinding stories and quests.

Story telling is pretty aweful but the amount of quests is more than enough to cap out.  Unless you start an exp already capped, then its not enough.

-Crafting, the process is fun and many crafts are actually usefull.

MC is useful, rest is vendor trash.

-Housing, the housing system is unique and has more impact then in any other game, its the only game where i have fun decorating my house. With house instances there are no more dreaded empty housing zones. Its the best of 2 worlds.

The ladies love this part.

-Gathering, the addition of rare drops adds atleast some excitement to gathering

Like the crafting, and AA, normal drops are pointless and rares are well rare.

-Collections, this is the only game with a collection system. I do like it and finding the right stuff gives a reward for those that love to explore.

Not alone in collections.  Also not fun at least in my opinion and was originally put in as filler content to keep you in a zone long after the quests ran dry.

-Class and race choice are way beyound the typicall WoW clone...

Lots of choices for sure, just not anything with flavour or differences from others.  What EQ2 really lacks is class focus.

-Immersion, somehow the game immerses me more then any other game except LOTRO, I do love the mellee annimations and the spoken quest texts for important quests. I really love the lore, but i do have an extended EQ1 background.

This is where it fails for me, EQ had massive scale.  Lots of other MMOs have taken that and ran with it.  EQ2 does micro point of interest.  Everything in EQ2 is small.  Ie compare spectre isle in EQ to EQ2.  Pretty much like that throughout.

-Open dungeons. The dungeons are verry diverse from caves till castles to real dungeons and they are very different from the typically WoW instnaced dungeos. A good game should have both tough, instanced and open dungeons.

WoW dungeons don't repeat, EQ2 dungeons, main ones, also don't repeat but within themselves don't change either.  Problem is a lot of EQ2 dungeons, are just too small.

If the game would have been like this at release, then WoW would have had true competition.....

Nah, even today the engine is terrible so it has no chance at WoW numbers even if the game was better... which it isn't.  Its smaller, less varied, bland art style and just doesn't perform.

Anything else that i forgot about?  there really is so much to get excited about......

If you played WoW to death, yes EQ2 is a good alternative.  But then so are LotRO, AoC, VG, Aion, WAR.  Me I've played both EQ2 and WoW to death so VG it is for me.  It really is what EQ2 should have been.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

totally agree with the VG is the game that EQ2 should have been, now if they'd released some F2P servers for that..  but no.. i dont think they'd want to lose their EQ2 playerbase, as even in its present form its a far better game than EQ2, making it free to play would be a bit of an own goal... still have to wonder at SOE sometimes.. i certainly gave up trying to understand their decision making process years ago.. even women are easier to understand!image

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by Phry

totally agree with the VG is the game that EQ2 should have been, now if they'd released some F2P servers for that..  but no.. i dont think they'd want to lose their EQ2 playerbase, as even in its present form its a far better game than EQ2, making it free to play would be a bit of an own goal... still have to wonder at SOE sometimes.. i certainly gave up trying to understand their decision making process years ago.. even women are easier to understand!image

There are many things in VG that should have been included in EQ2 and some of the feeling too but VG have it's own problems. My opinion is that the games are about equally as fun to play but EQ2 got a lot better population.

The interesting thing will be to see what EQ Next will be like instead, hopefully does it take the best from all the 3 games while adding some new things to it.

• DaxPierceDaxPierce Member Posts: 172

While I have enjoyed myself in the past with EQ2 I have to admit that SOE just let this game fold. The models are extremely out dated. (plasticy and shiny) Its interesting that the OP mentioned AAs is so amazing and customizable, but what they are not telling you is that while you have many options to drop points in the cool abilities or skills gained are really few and far between. Because EQ2 has so many classes SOE took the route of watered down abilities that other classes have as well.

I really have high hopes for EQ Next and hope SOE stays away from lazy content creation like they have the last 2 expansions. The player housing, the lore, even the dungeons/mentoring system as the OP described are pretty nifty features.