Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game world...barren

permsterpermster Member UncommonPosts: 102

I'm not in beta so please don't trash this post. When this game was just being talked about before beta it was always about the "Huge gameworld". My only worry about this game is the game world being too huge. While that sounds like a good thing, it can lead to many bad things. Too much game world is hard to keep populated with NPC's, PC's, and Mobs. Not only that but the flora and other such things may suffer from such a huge world. Most of the screenshots I've looked at so far look barren save a few. I hope they have enough time before launch to populate the land properly.

Along with that worry comes the worry of not being able to find a group because everyone is so spread out. Perhaps someone in beta can put me at ease.

Comments

• BilasBilas Member Posts: 78

Hey Permster,

I think the size of the world will be good.  I feel that there will be meeting areas like towns and cities to form hunting partys ect... I like games where you can get away and fight through areas without others getting in the way.  I wish I was choosen for the beta! imageimage but I hope with the next batch that I will get in!

'She just left. She didn't even care enough to cut off my head or set me on fire. I mean, is that too much to ask? You know? Some little sign that she cared?"

• WotannWotann Member Posts: 294
    Not everything is going to be fully implemented until release, so until then places will look empty. There's a weather system with changing seasons, the seasons at least already fully implemented by judging from released info. This will affect the game world. Creatures will migrate between areas, players will suffer from cold and heat if not protected and so on. It's going to be a very realistic world, and if you look at our world, not every place if populated, some populations are very scarce. Expect Ganareth to be like the real world with bustling citicies and more or less empty deserts and so on.

Nemo sine vitio est

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

So... is Earth populated with people and animals throughout the world?

No.

They can make the world smaller or larger depending on the population. They even said they made it smaller on purpose to make everything not so spread out.

Some places WILL be not found by many people and seem "empty", that's where the exploration part of the game comes in. Without dangerous and unknown wilderness, where's the fun in exploring?

I like it when certain places are very known and that's where people make groups, merchants sell things, and all that good stuff (which will be known as Al Drifa, I think, a neutral city where darks cannot attack lights and lights cannot attack darks. It will also be the largest city in Ganareth, I believe).

I do not want to go exploring and every 10 feet there is a random Joe that has already explored the place and camping a spawn. That does not seem really immersive to me.

• permsterpermster Member UncommonPosts: 102

Thank you for the responses. The weather system sounds really cool. Also, to the last poster. If I wanted a world based on Earth I would just walk outside my house instead of login to a fantasy world.

• XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719

What I'm trying to say is that some parts of Earth has never been discovered yet. You never know what you might find on the sea floor in deep oceans. You never know, you might find a very small island with living dragons! (Ok, maybe not that extreme, but you should get my point)

I want a world where exploration is actually worth something, where there are certain empty deserts and maybe at the end of it there is a hidden dungeon where there are huge treasures!

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Exploration
    There are many trades, combat or social, but exploration will really constitute a third significant branch.

The explorers have access in three branches:

- Control of espionage: This branch corresponds to the activities of exploration, recognition and espionage

- Control of time: This branch allows the explorer to create and manage his own network of teleportation.

- Control of the domestication: This branch allows the explorer to tame and draw up animals all the way to dragons.

In Dark and Light, the explorers will play a significant social role. Exploration is its own unique character path, and while some races may appear more favourable than others, every race/class will be able to explore, whether part time, or totally devoted. Something to note, that while skill points are 'relocatable' to certain a degree between skills, these points are not moveable from Exploration to Combat. Exploration will be an essential activity for all the communities (esp. Guilds) of players. Some will have to be devoted to it fully for the explorers "open ways through the Kingdoms". They move very quickly and can open personal gates within the four corners of a kingdom. They make it possible for a guild to move quickly, being able to react easily.

The explorers at a certain level will be able to move more easily even on difficult ground. One can thus easily imagine an explorer sent as a scout in a remote zone having the simple mission of opening a passage for his fellow-members.

Moreover, the most gifted explorers will have the possibility of taming savage animals. Taming is a skill mainly open to the explorers, making it possible to take the control of a wild creature. It will be possible to give them orders (to attack, defend, etc.) or to direct it like a dodo. However, the reaction or the behaviour of the animal can vary according to its type.

Taming

It will be possible to sell these tamed animals to other players. According to Zedux, the engine of Dark and Light makes it possible to tame up all the creatures present in the play (skeletons, spiders... and even the Pegasus, being quite present in the play). But for reasons of gameplay and balance of the play, certain creatures will resist being tamed. These tamed creatures - 'Pets' are controllable by the owner (there are for example dodos of attack, being able charge the adversary and equipped consequently) but can die. In the event of disconnection of the character, the tamed creature remains at the side of its master. A tamed creature can acquire experience (without really having levels in a strict sense of the term) or new aptitudes. Some can also be equipped (but not all) like mules, for example. These pets will however not remain systematically at the sides of the character. It will be possible to leave them "on standby", then ‘bring forth' later. The creature returns then with its experience and its ability. A creature can also tire gradually, but a dodo, for example could be replenished at a feed/water trough (just like a horse).

Quests
    There will be quests based on exploration such as ones with small animals which will be only in the 'out of the way' places. An example will require a player to find it, see it and then takes a kind of photograph (sketch), for their personal album. Quests involving the collection of a special grass mushrooms to make a potion. Thus there is a whole management completely based on exploration which will make it possible to the players to have access to special things such as unique skills and objects.

Cartography
    Explorers via a skill in cartography will be able to trace charts and maps, and will be able to sell these to other people.

Skills

The explorer will have abilities allowing him to camouflage themself, to be even be "more or less invisible in certain cases". An explorer can move more easily on the various types of ground and will have less aggressiveness from hostile creatures (less aggro) since he is not combatant. The explorer is poor at attacking and does not defend himself well either. According to Zedux, an explorer may find it rather beneficial to flee engagements (it profits from special predispositions to escape). He also has a great knowledge and can easily "recognize certain things" - thus being better to the battle alive as scouts, rather than dead. The Explorer has been designed as a character that can evolve/move up to high level, without fighting (they have access to many pacifist quests "collectors"). These quests of collection can take the form of a sketch (screenshot) to be brought back to 'so and so'.

The level of the explorer will determine his ability to draw up increasingly imposing creatures, to venture more and more further in the wild regions of the kingdoms furthest away from civilization (accessible only to the characters having competences from high level exploration).
    These areas will be moreover the theatre of new quests "collectors" (sometimes begun a long time before and with hundreds from kilometres from the quests origin.

The explorers are very qualified in facilitating the voyage of their companions or members of guild by whole groups. Although transport was the particular care object, certain zones will be accessible only to foot and in these cases; the explorer’s skill will make the difference.
    More especially as it will be sometimes necessary to visit certain distant areas to fill certain activities.

NPC’s and Monsters

There will be factions with NPC’s, in particular the guards of the cities.

There will be migrating animals, and they can die of old age and disease.

Some monsters fight between themselves in certain cases, and even die of disease or old age. The power of the monsters will be indicated by an indicator of colour (/con of EQ).

The monsters could be plundered by all the players. A priority will be granted to the head of the group and to the group having killed the monster.

The monsters have a kind of evolutionary memory which prohibits to them to always use the same points to respawn, thus 'camping' will no be a problem. Some NPC’s that are important for a quest will appear(and disappear) at the same locations, depending on the time, etc.

Certain monsters will be resistant to certain attacks, others will be able to take possession of the players, others still will attacks buildings(in the area's of high level).

Certain animals could be mounted, in particular the famous dodo. The dodo can run at 60 Km/h.

The animals of war could be equipped with armour.

Various animals will be available to purchase, and it will be even possible for the explorers to tame up animals. Attention however: If they are not nourished, they will end up dying.

Every class of gamers in Dark and Light can have NPC’s such as pets. For the social part, masters and great masters from one trade can employ NPC’s that will be able to travel all over the world to sell goods for their master.

Dead mules drop the objects which it contains.

Generally a player’s NPC disconnects themselves at the same time as the player.

It is possible to rent the services of NPC’s for attack or protection. For that, the player must have all the required skills of management. Only the nobles having the fortress will be able to place NPC’s to defend it (but at a significant price). They can also have these guards protect a convoy of goods, among other services.

NPC’s will evolve continuously during the life of Dark and Light, so new ones will reach the game through our update patches.

To give an example of an interesting feature: When an Orc tribe is killed in Ganareth, they could reappear with time, very far away from their starting point, continue combat and evolve over time.

(MOBS migrate to other areas with time.)

The best items will be crafted by players in DnL; monsters will generally drop ingredients for craftsmen.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• paravionparavion Member Posts: 422

what happens to your fortress when you log off?  can they be attacked by players? i surely don't want to lose my fortress when i am offline.

also, if you die do you drop all your equipped items so the person who killed you collect your belongings?

can this game be played by casual gamers or this is more of a game for hardcore gamers? thanks

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

When you log off you can leave your toon in NPC mode, scripted by you.

The lord can also hire many NPC guards, as well as if the fort comes under attack all citizens are told.

When you die you only drop gold, unless you have an artifact( one on the server at any time, winer gets to loot it). When you die in the lower levles you drop gold, and your items come back to your invatory over time, The higher the level you are (30+ish) the longer this takes, to the point where going and getting your gear is more of an option.

I think they are making this game for all plystyles.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• SinitassuSinitassu Member Posts: 67

It would be just plain stupid if the world would be crowded with monsters like WoW. It just annoys me to kill dozens of mionsters just to get from a city to another! Large world means tat you can go around fights, so "barren spots" are a reality and a nice thing to have. I haven't seen any wolves in my patch of forrest... Reality, thats what I want from a MMORPG!

"Lick My Weapons"