Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Temperature Issues.

NagelFireNagelFire Member Posts: 409

I just lost the 6 paragraph explanation I typed because my mouse is a POS, so this is the speed version because I don't feel like typing it all again.

When i shut down my comp last time it said that my CPU was running at 99 degrees celcius, and when I waited it started it again later it said it was at 55 but I could watch it climb .5 degrees until it got to about 84 degrees celcius.

When i got into the computer I downloaded speedfan, which told me that my CPU was at 42 degrees and my 2 cores were at 52 degrees.  It never adjusted the speed of my fans though.

So I have the bios saying 84 and speedfan saying 52 degrees.  Both are too hot and i'm trying to bring them down.  Which reading should I trust more, and which methods would you suggest for bringing down the temp?

I'm about to go buy compressed air, a processor fan, and maybe a couple more fans to throw on my mobo somewhere, and some more thermal paste. 

-------------------------

Comments

• VercinVercin Member UncommonPosts: 353

The processor fan and heatsink is what most commonly causes that problem.

I notice alot of times that under the fan on stock heatsinks right above the fins a layer of dust forms, almost like a carpet.

Your machine can be relatively clean but if that particular area is dusty or covered no air is going through to pull that heat out.

Sometimes just a can of air is all you need.

The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Is this 99 C at idle or at load?  Even under an artificial stress test, 99 C is too hot.  But if it's at idle, the CPU temperature shouldn't be far above the ambient temperature in your room.

I'd think that the BIOS and SpeedFan should be reporting numbers from the same temperature probe.  What processor do you have?

Does air coming out of your case feel really hot, or not meaningfully different from the ambient temperature in your room?  It's probably an issue with your processor heatsink and/or fan, but let's at least rule out improper airflow through your case.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by Quizzical

Is this 99 C at idle or at load?  Even under an artificial stress test, 99 C is too hot.  But if it's at idle, the CPU temperature shouldn't be far above the ambient temperature in your room.

I'd think that the BIOS and SpeedFan should be reporting numbers from the same temperature probe.  What processor do you have?

Does air coming out of your case feel really hot, or not meaningfully different from the ambient temperature in your room?  It's probably an issue with your processor heatsink and/or fan, but let's at least rule out improper airflow through your case.

Funny to see you first say that 99C is not hot and then ask what kind of CPU OP has...

Generally, ll above 80 C is too hot. AMD has a failsafe system that'll shut down the system it the CPU is over max for more than 5 minutes. I don't know about Intel these days, but in the past that failsafe was not there...

As the other comment said, best trust the BIOS reporting a temperature instead of a 3rd party program. I think OP should either clean the heathsink, or buy a new fan. I'd opt the new fan, just to be sure, and you can also drop the temperature dramatically if you buy a good one ;-)

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Originally posted by Reizla

Originally posted by Quizzical

Funny to see you first say that 99C is not hot and then ask what kind of CPU OP has...

99 C is too hot regardless of what processor it is.  But I'm curious how much heat it is taking to push the processor to 99 C.  A Pentium D that can't meaningfully clock down at idle will put out a lot of heat even when it is idle, so the problem could be as simple as a dead fan.  It would be hard to push a Lynnfield Core i7 that can shut off cores entirely to 99 C at idle short of pulling the heatsink off entirely.

Speaking of which, you should check your processor fan to make sure it works.  A visual inspection is enough:  either it's spinning when the computer is on or else it isn't.  If the fan is dead, then there's your problem.

• thecrapthecrap Member Posts: 433

is this an old PC? If it is its time to dust it out and clean the dust of also replace the thermal paste If not you may have driver issues

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

What case do you have?

People forget that in a closed case theres noware for the extracted CPU heat to go so it just circulates.

Also, like other posters have pointed out, There is usually safety mechanisms in place to stop your CPU from cooking.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development