Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many people have multiple accounts?

2»

Comments

• Luthor_XLuthor_X Member Posts: 431

When I played back in the day, I 2 boxed... I think everyone did, lol ;)

• AmbassadorDvinnAmbassadorDvinn Member UncommonPosts: 339

^^^ That's why I can't bring myself to play again.  I know eventually I'll need to multi-box to be efficient.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

• PlutonicwoesPlutonicwoes Member UncommonPosts: 343

I dualboxed, several friends trippleboxed.

I saw no issue, I could keep my pure crafting toon crafting while having fun doing pve missions and pvp on my other.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

/raises hand

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228
    Originally posted by Vyre

^^^ That's why I can't bring myself to play again.  I know eventually I'll need to multi-box to be efficient.

to be efficient on what ? can you be more specific

BestSigEver :P

• AriolanderAriolander Member UncommonPosts: 97

Originally posted by cosy

Alts have a variety of efficieny advantages especially in terms of miniming and hauling on the industrial end. Really nothing like being your own personal jet-can mining fleet and Orca to command them all. Mining is suddenly less boring when "Mining Director" is more than just a gan warfare mod and skill type but an actual occupation.

I know personally I don't like to shit where I sleep. So I keep my PVP activities ninja-ing, small gang, low sec, kamikaze piratin, wtc complete completely seperate from my pure PVE general purpose (industrial-mission running) main. On the PVP account's subscription though I also keep my PVE support character who is the backup to my PVE main doing hauling and other menial tasks.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Honestly, what percentage of the playerbase has multiple accounts?

Probably about the same as other MMOs. For example, it's common enough in WOW that 3 of the 18 BattleNet FAQ questions are about managing multiple WOW accounts.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Ariolander

Alts have a variety of efficieny advantages especially in terms of miniming and hauling on the industrial end. Really nothing like being your own personal jet-can mining fleet and Orca to command them all. Mining is suddenly less boring when "Mining Director" is more than just a gan warfare mod and skill type but an actual occupation.

I know personally I don't like to shit where I sleep. So I keep my PVP activities ninja-ing, small gang, low sec, kamikaze piratin, wtc complete completely seperate from my pure PVE general purpose (industrial-mission running) main. On the PVP account's subscription though I also keep my PVE support character who is the backup to my PVE main doing hauling and other menial tasks.

i know, that but OP consider to get 2 accounts in eve to be effective on something when will play eve but he dont even play eve atm, i bet he consider 2 accounts double the efficiency ratio or something

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I will agree, its been my perception that when I am a member of an established corporation, a large number, if not a majority of the players in the corp have more than one account.  I myself pay for 3 accounts and have had a least 2 accounts since my 1st month in the game. 

Like others have said, I find them too convenient to not have.  When mission running I can bomb through with 2 pilots  and use the 3rd to salvage behind. (though efficiency goes down on a single box so I usually just stick with 2)

During Wardecs its great to keep one account in the corp to prosecute the war, a 2nd acct outside to continue with ISK earning activities, and a 3rd unaffiliated account that I can use totally for spying.

Do I have to have 3 accounts to have fun in EVE? No, I don't, but since I have the means I chose to do so. Back when I played DAOC I used to have up to 5 accounts and even in WOW and Lineage 2 I had 3. 

I am currently playing Fallen Earth and have already felt the tug of a 2nd account to take care of full time crafting duties.

So who knows if CCP's numbers are correct, it might really depend on who you associate with in game.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I suspect that there are large numbers of single-account players quietly running missions in empire.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Malcanis

I suspect that there are large numbers of single-account players quietly running missions in empire.

I would love to see the numbers for the amount of Empire based (mission runners) ,NPC corp players. My money would be on less than 1% of those players have second accounts. THose players also make up a sizable chunk of Eves playerbase.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

i know, that but OP consider to get 2 accounts in eve to be effective on something when will play eve but he dont even play eve atm, i bet he consider 2 accounts double the efficiency ratio or something

I don't consider 2 accounts double the 'efficiency ratio' (whatever that really means).  I consider 2 accounts a must if you want to have the advantages that many, many other players have.  In comparison with other MMORPGs, multi-boxing in EVE is way more important to have due to the very core of EVE's competitive nature.  I don't really give a shit about people in WoW that do it because it doesn't affect me, it just allows the person doing it to level faster.  I've been on and off of EVE for a long time and missioning, mining, pvp w/scout, etc are essential to earn isk efficiently - performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Serious death penalties makes every close call an adrenaline rush, and every minor achievement a major victory. This alternative rule-set should be in all MMORPGs.

I don't consider 2 accounts double the 'efficiency ratio' (whatever that really means).  I consider 2 accounts a must if you want to have the advantages that many, many other players have.  In comparison with other MMORPGs, multi-boxing in EVE is way more important to have due to the very core of EVE's competitive nature.  I don't really give a shit about people in WoW that do it because it doesn't affect me, it just allows the person doing it to level faster.  I've been on and off of EVE for a long time and missioning, mining, pvp w/scout, etc are essential to earn isk efficiently - performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

OK, now I'm not seeing your argument.  In WOW if a person multi boxes he can level, earn isk, play the market, craft far more efficiently than a player with one account.  They can also camp an alt at a rare spawn (do they even have rare dragon spawns anymore?) or even bring a spare healer along on a raid.  Not a whole lot different from EVE actually.

And what do you care if someone else in EVE earns ISK more efficiently than you, with the least amount of time and effort, its only a competition if you make it so.  There's players in EVE who earn a billion ISK a day while I earn a billion Isk every few months, doesn't bother me that I don't min/max like they do, I play EVE the way I enjoy and I assure, you, I'm very competitive in the game.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

OK, now I'm not seeing your argument.  In WOW if a person multi boxes he can level, earn isk, play the market, craft far more efficiently than a player with one account.  They can also camp an alt at a rare spawn (do they even have rare dragon spawns anymore?) or even bring a spare healer along on a raid.  Not a whole lot different from EVE actually.

And what do you care if someone else in EVE earns ISK more efficiently than you, with the least amount of time and effort, its only a competition if you make it so.  There's players in EVE who earn a billion ISK a day while I earn a billion Isk every few months, doesn't bother me that I don't min/max like they do, I play EVE the way I enjoy and I assure, you, I'm very competitive in the game.

I look down upon all multi-boxing (back in the MUD days this was called multi-play) because it takes away from the world.  This is my personal opinion.  However, within EVE, you're at a distinct disavantage vs other players (which is what the game is really all about, PVP) because the majority of players multi-box (again, in my personal opinion).  The whole point of a MMORPG is to play with others.  It just doesn't make sense to pay for additional accounts to circumvent the very essence of what you're playing an MMORPG for - playing with others.

Now, I understand many people enjoy playing these games by themself and using multiple characters.  It becomes a problem when you're forced to do it to stay on a even keel with the rest of the competitive and like-minded players, as in EVE, almost everyone has that mindset - be it PVP or making isk.

the number of accounts dont mean you boost your ISK/day ratio the only thing alt accounts give you is options until u reach 70/75m SP after that your alts do what you main do and you main can do what you alt is doing

the only thing that boost your ISk/day is your brain

• CactusJackCactusJack Member UncommonPosts: 393

I have two accounts myself. I've played with all different types of corps in just about every area of the map. I found that hi-sec, mission running/mining carebears use just as many multiple accounts as the 0.0 dwellers. I can relate OP, I generally despise multiple accounts for MMO's. I like the fact in EVE there are no limits on what/how many skills you can learn.

Of course balancing that out is the long skill progression, so upon moving to 0.0 after my first year or so...I broke down and got a second account. I will also say that if you live in 0.0 you will find that if you don't have multiple accounts, you will find some aspects of the game more difficult.

I will also mention that if you ever, ever plan on flying capital ships go ahead and get one. Ofc Cap ships are late game content, so making that decision will be easier for you to make. Wardecs, station camping, wormhole access...all of this is much, much easier with multiple accounts as well.

In the end it's up to you. I think if you find EVE your type of game...you will eventually go with more than one. If one of your accounts/alts is a money maker, you could pay for a second account with PLEX's..but that's another discussion.

Playing: BF4/BF:Hardline, Subnautica 7 days to die
    Hiatus: EvE
    Waiting on: World of Darkness(sigh)
    Interested in: better games in general

Originally posted by CactusJack

I have two accounts myself. I've played with all different types of corps in just about every area of the map. I found that hi-sec, mission running/mining carebears use just as many multiple accounts as the 0.0 dwellers. I can relate OP, I generally despise multiple accounts for MMO's. I like the fact in EVE there are no limits on what/how many skills you can learn.

Of course balancing that out is the long skill progression, so upon moving to 0.0 after my first year or so...I broke down and got a second account. I will also say that if you live in 0.0 you will find that if you don't have multiple accounts, you will find some aspects of the game more difficult.

I will also mention that if you ever, ever plan on flying capital ships go ahead and get one. Ofc Cap ships are late game content, so making that decision will be easier for you to make. Wardecs, station camping, wormhole access...all of this is much, much easier with multiple accounts as well.

In the end it's up to you. I think if you find EVE your type of game...you will eventually go with more than one. If one of your accounts/alts is a money maker, you could pay for a second account with PLEX's..but that's another discussion.

Right.  It makes perfect sense to get multiple accounts in EVE.  They publically advertise and hold special promotions for their players to start multiple accounts because CCP knows, and I'm sure on purpose, that EVE was created with the intent to make you justify buying more accounts whether it be to teleport your capital ship around the galaxy or to help haul your space rocks for your miner.  That feels forced and I don't like it.  CCP wants money, I understand, but as weird as it may seem - they're manipulating their playerbase to justify buying multiple accounts.  Next thing you know you find yourself buying a 3rd account.  When does it stop?

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

I fully understand why some if not many people like having more than one account to help them with things, but I personally prefer to just have 1 account and to just rely on my corp and friends to help me out when needed. And I do the same in return. 

That said, I do have an inactive second account I'd be happy to fire up if needed. 

Right.  It makes perfect sense to get multiple accounts in EVE.  They publically advertise and hold special promotions for their players to start multiple accounts because CCP knows, and I'm sure on purpose, that EVE was created with the intent to make you justify buying more accounts whether it be to teleport your capital ship around the galaxy or to help haul your space rocks for your miner.  That feels forced and I don't like it.  CCP wants money, I understand, but as weird as it may seem - they're manipulating their playerbase to justify buying multiple accounts.  Next thing you know you find yourself buying a 3rd account.  When does it stop?

no thei dont force yo, the thing is simple if you dont have alt accounts you need more help from a corp or you need to pay for the service, i remember one time paying a iteron3 in 0.0 to get my ore to station from the belt and the price was 500 000isk for each travel after some time i got my own alt hauler

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Honestly, what percentage of the playerbase has multiple accounts?

I love EVE but the fact that everyone has multiple accounts puts me off.  Does anyone have any sort of info with legit numbers as to how many people really have multiple accounts?  It seems like majority have atleast 2 accounts.

Why would it bother you? Considering that quite a bit of the people that play World of Warcraft have 5-10 accounts. (Read their forums if you think this is BS.) And by the way. not "everyone" has more than one account on Eve. I have one and one is more than enough for me. If it really bothers you that some people have that need to have more than one account, you really should stop playing mmo's because there will always be a percentage of people playing more than one. And this goes for any mmo out there.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I'm sure on purpose, that EVE was created with the intent to make you justify buying more accounts

If that was true, you would not need to run multiply clients and you would control more characters just within 1 client and UI.

Multi accounting make no good for any game while it still means income for the company and that does not only apply to EVE Online and CCP.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by Gdemami

I'm sure on purpose, that EVE was created with the intent to make you justify buying more accounts

If that was true, you would not need to run multiply clients and you would control more characters just within 1 client and UI.

Multi accounting make no good for any game while it still means income for the company and that does not only apply to EVE Online and CCP.

He almost has a point you know, CCP take multiple client performance very seriously and have stated that they do, maybe its because they want people to use multiple accounts or because the players want to run them and they are obliging isn't to clear.

What is clear however is that CCP know if they broke multiple client performance they risk losing subs as people stop using alts, so really at the end of the day CCP are deliberately facilitating multiple account use so they can benefit from it.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

Funny you should ask, I stopped at 3, and I think that's pretty much all I need to satisfy my current plans for the game. (Been that way for over 2 years now).  But some folks have 10 accounts and I had an alliance leader who owned 12. (and an ISK farmer who had 17, but he doesn't count) 

Point is, I don't feel the need to have as many as those other folks to be competitive or play the game, nor do many people feel the need for more than 1.

The issue is more with you I guess, you feel the need to buy more accounts but decry the game's design that supports the multiple account model.  Perfectly understandable, but some us have no issue in owning more than one account in a game, as in my case, I've rarely ever had only one account to a MMORPG.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Garkan

He almost has a point you know, CCP take multiple client performance very seriously and have stated that they do, maybe its because they want people to use multiple accounts or because the players want to run them and they are obliging isn't to clear.
    What is clear however is that CCP know if they broke multiple client performance they risk losing subs as people stop using alts, so really at the end of the day CCP are deliberately facilitating multiple account use so they can benefit from it.

Far from almost.

People with multiple accounts are still paying customers and as such you cater about them. Improving client performance in this regard isn't surprising. They do encourage it, that is undeniable and not again surprising - it is their income.

It is the same as RMT and PLEX, if you cannot fight it, at least do not lose profit on it.

Though, in no way that implies the game was designed nor it is developed with multiple accounts as a game feature.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Garkan

Far from almost.

People with multiple accounts are still paying customers and as such you cater about them. Improving client performance in this regard isn't surprising. They do encourage it, that is undeniable and not again surprising - it is their income.

It is the same as RMT and PLEX, if you cannot fight it, at least do not lose profit on it.

Though, in no way that implies the game was designed nor it is developed with multiple accounts as a game feature.

They don't call it a feature, they have a spiffy name for it - "The Power of 2".  The irony.