Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few Questions

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Hey, just a few questions I couldn't find the answers to elsewhere:

1) If I own vanilla WoW *only* and were to buy Wrath of the Lich King expansion, could I level to 80 (or whatever the WotLK cap is) without owning Burning Crusade? 

2) Have they said whether consumables will be allowed in the rated Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

3) What is the lowest level you can get a mount currently?

Thanks!

Comments

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by RollieJoe

Hey, just a few questions I couldn't find the answers to elsewhere:

1) If I own vanilla WoW *only* and were to buy Wrath of the Lich King expansion, could I level to 80 (or whatever the WotLK cap is) without owning Burning Crusade? 

No, you would need to purchase TBC to level from 60 to 70.

2) Have they said whether consumables will be allowed in the rated Battlegrounds in Cataclysm?

I don't have the answer to this one, someone else will though.

3) What is the lowest level you can get a mount currently?

Non-epic mounts are available at Level 20.

Thanks!

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Thanks, let me add one more question:

4) How did they change 2v2 Arena from TBC?  I heard in WotLK and/or Cata that 2v2 arena wouldn't be eligible for the same rewards, or something? 

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

4) How did they change 2v2 Arena from TBC?  I heard in WotLK and/or Cata that 2v2 arena wouldn't be eligible for the same rewards, or something? 

I'm not sure what kind of changes they'll have in Cata, if any at all. I do know that they are adding rated BGs. There are a lot of changes happening to PvP in general when the expansion hits.

As for WotLK, 2v2 can no longer get weapons or shoulders with arena rating. You also can't get the the title Gladiator. Everything else is still available.

Although, I think the season is over.

• ObzerverObzerver Member Posts: 225

That is correct. They basically stopped taking 2v2 rating into consideration for gear that requires arena rating to purchase. This was done because it was impossible to balance the classes in the 2v2 setup without ruining their performance in PvE and thanks to the min-maxers at arena junkies.com there would be a flavor of the month setup that could steamroll anything aside from a counter built specifically to take them out. And i don't think they will go back on this decision in Cata so if you're a big 2v2s fan you're out of luck.

As for the consumables question, bandages, player summoned items (lock stones, mage food) and the consumables sold by the arena vendors. Alchemists can also use the Flask of the North (40 to Str, Agi or Int) but that is exclusive alchemists alone. 

Obzerver-that's really, really fantastic news for our little group.  Not to doubt you, but any chance you remember the source for that info?  (about the consumables)  Thanks a bunch.

Flask of the North is the only exception to this post made by Drysc back in '06. Keep in mind though, with rated BGs coming in Cata they may add or remove certain items from that list. 

Edit:- Flask of Enhancement will be the level 85 equivalent of the level 80 Flask of the North. 

Just woke up so maybe I'm missing the obvious, but I don't see any mention of rated BG's in your link?  I know atm that consumables are unrestricted in Battlegrounds and that they are restricted in Arena; we're specifically wondering whether or not they will be restricted in the upcoming Rated Battlegrounds though. 

Your original description of their restrictions makes sense to me, and I really hope that's how they do it, but just hoping to find an official word on that to win-over some friends who don't want to come back to grind consumables for 40 hours a week to PvP with competitively.

I doubt they will put any restrictions on the use of consumables in rated BGs. The system, if i understood this video correctly, is just in place to let you play a BG with your friends, arena team mates or guilds 10-25 raid team and will rate you individually at the end of the BG based on your performance. 

So like the arena matchmaking system it will clump higher rated people together, so if you're a serious PvPer you no longer have to worry about AFK botters in your AV since their ratings will be really low thanks to their inactivity and they will most likely be paired with fellow AFK botters.

As for the grinding Chilton did mention that they will put a cap on the amount of honor earned each week so people aren't thrown into the old school honor grind again. 

Keep in mind that video is from last years Blizzcon and they have made quite a few changes to other aspects of the game since then (removal of Path of the Titans). With this year's Blizzcon just days away iam sure we'll see a bunch of new info on the subject so just wait n watch.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

That isn't how rated BGs work.  Rated BGs require a full group before you can queue  and you get rated based on the outcome.  Your individual rating goes up or down based on if you win or not.  You won't get 'clumped' with anyone... you have to be in the appropriate sized group before even queing.

There are two different points for pvp now

Honor points - lower tier    Earned from basically doing anythign pvp related, including running heroic dungeons while your faction has WG, running normal battlgrounds or WG2.0.  There is no cap on how many you can earn per day or per week, but there is an overall cap on how many you can have stored (4000).  These points are used to buy the second best gear currently available

Valor points - higher tier   You get these by winning Rated Battegrounds or Arena Games.   There IS a cap on how many you can earn per week, which I think will be set around winning 10 rated battlegrounds or 10 arena matches per week.  These points are used to by the best set of gear available.  Basically there will be no way for players to go crazy the first week, buy all the best gear, and then be able to dominated the next few weeks.

There are no more battleground tokens, arena points, shards or any other type of currency, just those two.

Azriel - Any idea if there are any restrictions on consumables in the rated BG's though?

Also, I saw from the linked video earlier that apparently losing rated BG's doesn't hurt your "rating"; is this true?  Thanks.

Yea that seems about right. The fact that their cutting down AV and Isle to 25 man for rated also points to it. I had the reply to this post stuck in my head..

"Rated Battlegrounds are basically the same BGs you play normally, except you go in with a 2-5 man premade team. You will join up with other Rated pre-made groups, to take on opposing faction pre-made groups. You will earn a rating, just like Arenas, and this rating is interchangable with the Arena one, too. Having a 1900 in Rated BGs is the same as a 1900 in 3v3 or 5v5. You get full access to whatever gear is available."

Guess he was wrong.

Originally posted by Obzerver

Yea that seems about right. The fact that their cutting down AV and Isle to 25 man for rated also points to it. I had the reply to this post stuck in my head..

"Rated Battlegrounds are basically the same BGs you play normally, except you go in with a 2-5 man premade team. You will join up with other Rated pre-made groups, to take on opposing faction pre-made groups. You will earn a rating, just like Arenas, and this rating is interchangable with the Arena one, too. Having a 1900 in Rated BGs is the same as a 1900 in 3v3 or 5v5. You get full access to whatever gear is available."

Guess he was wrong.

so you quoted a player who isn't even in beta to prove me wrong?   How about I prove you wrong with the actual blue post from the devs..

Judging from the posts on the forum, it looked like most players were confused about what rated battlegrounds really are and how to interact with them. Hopefully this FAQ can help clear up some of those questions. Feel free to respond with any other questions you might have and we will do our best to post up the answers in this thread.

Rated Battlegrounds are broken down into three brackets. 10v10, 15v15 and 25v25. These brackets rotate weekly and can be viewed in-game via the calendar by activating the battleground holiday filter.

Players must create a raid with the full number of players required for the current bracket before entering the queue. Any level 85 player of your faction may participate in the battle (regardless of guild association).

When players win a battle, they are rewarded conquest points, up to their weekly cap. Weekly caps are individual for each player and are based on your highest single pvp rating from the previous week (the cap resets on Tuesdays). This rating can be derived from your 2v2, 3v3, 5v5 arena, or your rated battleground rating.

Players start at zero rated battleground rating and progress upward from there. Rating is only reduced after a lost battle when the player is above their internal matchmaking rating. For the most part, a rating only goes up.

Epic ground mounts will be rewarded at the end of each season to the top 0.5% of players. Titles are also available as you gain rating in the system. The titles are rewarded directly from achievements earned from gaining the required rating.

Winning a rated battleground with a team composed of 80% guild members will result in the additional benefit of guild experience gain for your guild. The UI will display a guild banner near the minimap that lets you know if you are eligible for guild achievements and experience.

The only thing I was wrong about was the weekly cap ( and I even said that i was guessing that it was around 10 wins per week).  The actual cap will vary from player to player and is based on your performance the proceeding week.

But I was correct about queueing.  You queue for a rated battleground AFTER you have already formed a raid that is the full size of the battleground you are entering.  You never get matched randomly to form a team.

wow, and I actually found a blue response to the other question

"Rated battlegrounds follow the same rules as arena for consumables and engineering items."