Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzome need some questions answered

legshotlegshot Member Posts: 59

first thing is, sorry if this is in wrong part of the forum..but anyways

i've recently been looking at ryzom as a new MMO to try but still unsure how the content of the game is, so far, the crafting seems awesome and is pretty big part of the game but i'm still unsure how the pve and pvp content is. If anyone has played or is currently playing ryzom, would you mind giving me a quick overview of how the pve content is along with pvp.

*how big apart of the game is it

*how easy is to come by (mainly pvp, is there alot of activity?)

*is there dungeons to do with partys/solo or even raids ect

*the ryzom ring (the ability to make your own quests ect) can you create dungeons/raids ect with this? and pvp content?

*the pvp content rewards what kind of things? gear? pvp currency ect?

*if there is pvp currency what kind of items do you buy?

*is there 2 types of gear pvp and pve (like WoW) or is it all the same?

those are my main points i'd like to get some info on, if you feel there is anything else you want to mention please do, i really am tring to find a new mmo to get my teeth in but want to do alot of research first. thanks for reading.

Comments

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

I downloaded a few days ago, but it did not work on my laptop so gutted as also MMO-less right now and this looked very fresh and different and cool ingame atmosphere.

So any answers to these questions would be interesting to me also?

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by legshot

first thing is, sorry if this is in wrong part of the forum..but anyways

i've recently been looking at ryzom as a new MMO to try but still unsure how the content of the game is, so far, the crafting seems awesome and is pretty big part of the game but i'm still unsure how the pve and pvp content is. If anyone has played or is currently playing ryzom, would you mind giving me a quick overview of how the pve content is along with pvp.

*how big apart of the game is it

the game was born as a pve game. pvp was added later. Impossibile to make any percentage: ryzom is a true sandbox and the game is what you make of it.

*how easy is to come by (mainly pvp, is there alot of activity?)

it depends by your attitude. actually the pvp is mainly focused on Outposts wars, but, haveing all sort of pvp, dueling, regions GvG open, ffa arena, ffa faction flag, you have many choices. pvp, with the exception of the region GvG, cannot be forced. Another aspect is that everything is under player choice, so actually, due to player alliances, main pvp is the faction one.

*is there dungeons to do with partys/solo or even raids ect

Atys is an open world, single instanced. There was a sort of dungeons where the various bosses spawn, but actually this is changed and bosses have no more fixed placed but they spawn randomly. There is the Kitin Lair that can be considered a dungeon. There are 5 npc boss raids that require a lot of homins.

*the ryzom ring (the ability to make your own quests ect) can you create dungeons/raids ect with this? and pvp content?

You can create dungeons, quests and story telling with the ring. you cannot add pvp areas, nor harvesting resources. People can't gain experience in the ring.

*the pvp content rewards what kind of things? gear? pvp currency ect?

Actually main part is related to owning an Outpost. The Outpost produce special materials that can boost stuff or craft special weapons. Indirectly, the region gvg enabled contains some very good materials so there is the need to protect the harvesters. Ganking is possible in that region tho it's rare.

Second, you can gain faction points if you kill other faction people while tagged for ffa pvp.

*if there is pvp currency what kind of items do you buy?

You can buy some good stuff at faction merchants. They are very good but they don't overpower anyone: best crafted stuff still is on par. Of course they have unique outfit.

*is there 2 types of gear pvp and pve (like WoW) or is it all the same?

There is not a direct distinction: people can craft pvp stuff or grind stuff.

Game is focuces on resources, with harvesting and crafting being a big part (RP events are also a big part, considering players run governments and decide along with the event team what will happens, often with changes to the world, how much temporary depending by player actions). Mobs will never drop anything "ready to use", they only drop materials (body parts) to be used in crafting. Only exception are some primitives that drop very crap jewels (good just for selling at merchant) and NPC bosses that can drop a single piece of armor, with a crafting plan and some other special stuff.

those are my main points i'd like to get some info on, if you feel there is anything else you want to mention please do, i really am tring to find a new mmo to get my teeth in but want to do alot of research first. thanks for reading.

About more things to tell you, i can just point you at an old answer I did in this forum:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/3402006#3402006

of course, this is just a point of view from someone who like the game.

Hope this is useful for you.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

Originally posted by MumboJumbo

I downloaded a few days ago, but it did not work on my laptop so gutted as also MMO-less right now and this looked very fresh and different and cool ingame atmosphere.

So any answers to these questions would be interesting to me also?

If you don't tell us what's the problem you are having, it's difficult to help you out.

My main suggestion is: create a trial account, it's pretty fast and it will not ask you any sensible data, download the CeB irc client (this is an irc client to access the support team outside the game) and chat with a gm.

For what I know ryzom runs on almost every pc around, with any windows (from xp to win7) and also under linux, so i'm sure there is a solution to your problem.

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• legshotlegshot Member Posts: 59

Thanks for the awesome reply only question left i guess is how easy is it to get into a decent guild? do most guilds look for top players or do they accept newish players knowing what they could become? besides that the crafting system seems awesome, killing something it dropping body parts instead of "ready-to-use" items is awesome.

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Gilgameesh

For what I know ryzom runs on almost every pc around, with any windows (from xp to win7) and also under linux, so i'm sure there is a solution to your problem.

I wish Ryzom ran on Macs. I'd probably pick it up again.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

The population is small so every new player is very precious for guilds. you will have no problem finding guilds to join. And there are lots and lots of helpful players.

• JezzerJezzer Member Posts: 3

It is pretty easy to run Ryzom on a Mac via Bootcamp. I currently play this way on my Macbook Pro. I can even run dual clients with no problem.

Ryzom is really a great game. It is really a shame that Ryzom does not have the money big name MMOs have for advertisement, I think a lot of people would fall in love with Ryzom if given a chance.

Where to start? Ryzom has the unique feature of allowing one person to play 4 different classes simultatiously: Fighter/Mage/Crafter/Forager. Along with a 250 level cap, the game gives a player a lot to do and enough variety that boredom is non-existent. Ryzom's Eco-system is unique and beautiful, the community is helpful and friendly, and live events happen weekly.

If you are tired of the same ol' raids, rigid class systems, immature players of your current MMO, You should definitely give Ryzom a chance. Hope to see you soon.

<3

Jezzer of Amicitia

Jezzer (Aris)
    Amicitia
    Ryzom Forever!

• TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

Hi, i just want to add another question, sorry for borrowing your topic, legshot, because i feel that there isn't the need to create a new topic for my following questions as it is also a question about Ryzom

so anyway, i am a soon to be player of Ryzom (currently downloading it), so after hearing this game for almost 3 years since 2007, i always heard about good stuffs from this game

and since last year when i quit WoW and haven't found a new MMO that i can call a new home since

been trying Darkfall, and Face of Mankind ( which is all sandbox as well ) , but too bad that the community are not that appealing for me, ( yes i know, after coming from WoW, i understand that i needed a game with real community )

and so to my understanding, Ryzom are regarded as one of the MMO that have the best community

so my question is

after 5 years since Ryzom's release, what's the Community are right now? does new player stand a chance to adapt to the community that have been around for 5 years?

and while i read reviews that says Ryzom's population is rather low now, will it be easy for new players to really learn from the vets? i mean, i know there are lots of Guides for new player out there

but sometimes, in game help is also a nice addition for us to know the communityy better in the game itself

So What Now?

• JezzerJezzer Member Posts: 3

You should have no problem at all. You will start out on Silan, which is an island for newer players. You can run around and learn the basics, run missions, figure things out very easily. At all times, Universe Chat is accessable. It is active and extremely helpful. You'll be able to ask questions there, meet friends to team with, and learn just about everything. The community of Ryzom definitely is a strong point. If you ask logical questions, treat people with respect, have fun with others, you will fit right in.

There are also online resources that are a huge help: ryzomnomnom.com, Ryzom Database, Ballistic mystix, and Chronicles of Atys.

Hope that helps out a bit.

<3

Jezzer

Jezzer (Aris)
    Amicitia
    Ryzom Forever!

• vqlyvqly Member UncommonPosts: 296

For the original poster and others, you almost have to purge the WoW pvp mindset when lookin at ryzom pvp features. Yes there's pvp, but it's not "a carrot-on-a-stick deal where you grind for points to earn gears" system that other games (especially WoW) has ingrained into PVPers psyche.

There are PVP zones, but mostly PVPs are between guilds or alliance of guilds over Outposts, which are own by guilds. The reward with that is the guild can use the Outpost to drill for experience catalyzer (use to double xp) and specialized mats, quality and type of mats base on the Outposts they have control of.

There are also PVP "events" and people PVP'ing just for the fun it.

A note about gears. You'll also have to get rid of the "earn my purple/orange/epic gears" mentality.

In Ryzom, ALL gears degrade over time. There is 0 equipments in-game that are permanent. As such, there are no "must get epic purple uber loot" mentality. There are different qualities equipments, with Supreme being the best, then down to Excellent, and then Fine, Choice, and Basic. But all of them (with the exception of NPC bosses drop and the crappy Basic ones sold by NPC merchants) are players crafted.

Although there're no "gear grinding" in Ryzom, there are a lot of materials hunting and craft grinding. A lot of players time are actually involved in hunting down these Excellent or Supreme mats (materials) to make new equipments, since everything need to be replaced eventually. Be it bosses hunting, named animals hunting, going down to the Prime Root to harvest Excellent and Supreme materials, trading with other players, etc.

There are a lot of different equipments types, but also different type of mats, and "recipes" that gives good stats (max speed, max damage, etc) are sought after and guarded secrets. Different pieces of equipments require different kind of "mats type" to craft, such as clothes (from animal skin or dug fibers), lining (from animal teeth or dug resins), blades (from animal claws or dug big shell), etc.

Equipments types are: 10 different kind of jewels (2 earrings, 2 finger rings, 2 anklets, 2 bracelets, 1 necklace, and 1 diadem), your Light, Medium, and Heavy armors (chest, gloves, shoulders, pants, boots, and heavy armor has an extra helmet), and then all your different weapon types (1h/2h swords/axes, pikes, maces, amps for magic casting, etc).

You get pretty much all your equipments from other players crafters, but most will make you pretty decent for free as you level. Joining a good guild that will supply you with equipments because they have high level crafters also help. You can possibly grind your own crafting also to the point where you can equip yourself, without even gimping yourself as a "crafter class", because ryzom is classless. One toon can do it all.

Lastly, do not worry about being a newbies being out leveled by vets. Since Ryzom is an Open Skill system with a lot of branches of skill trees, there are a lot of time where vets are grouped with new players as they work on some of their lower level skills, and still be advancing their character. There are vets though that would just help newbies out for the heck of it, by healing them out of team or kill things for them after they do more than 50% damage, etc.

And newbies can start doing good right away once they leveled their heals. Ryzom is a harsh world, and are geared toward teaming as oppose to soloing. Even a high level players will not last long by himself if he's not careful, or just nuke/slash away their hp/sap/stam points on skills and then getting jumped by multiple aggros. So having a healer for anything, even a low level one, always help.

Anyway, sorry for the wall of TEXT :D Hope you guys give it a try and don't get discourage by the learning curve. Ask for help in uni and you'll find it.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

Originally posted by Jezzer

You should have no problem at all. You will start out on Silan, which is an island for newer players. You can run around and learn the basics, run missions, figure things out very easily. At all times, Universe Chat is accessable. It is active and extremely helpful. You'll be able to ask questions there, meet friends to team with, and learn just about everything. The community of Ryzom definitely is a strong point. If you ask logical questions, treat people with respect, have fun with others, you will fit right in.

There are also online resources that are a huge help: ryzomnomnom.com, Ryzom Database, Ballistic mystix, and Chronicles of Atys.

Hope that helps out a bit.

<3

Jezzer

My experience as a new player in Ryzom has been great. Jezzer's guild (Amicitia) has been EXTREMELY helpful and friendly (shameless plug) making my new player experience one of the best. If you are looking for the WoW experience I admit you aren't going to find that here. Ryzom though has a lot of treasures to be unearthed, you just have to be persistent. And yes, it's critical you find and join a good guild. The hardest thing for me has been to adjust out of the "follow the quest chain or there's nothing to do" approach. Yes there are quests, even a few chains but Ryzom is much bigger than that. And yes, much of that depends not only on the developers but the player base as well.

Anyway, just thought I'd throw that into this discussion. Good Luck! :-)