Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Each Cinematic less Epic than its predecessor...

13»

Comments

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Originally posted by Amarandes

Originally posted by VirusDancer

For the life of me, I cannot figure out how anybody could suggest this is even in the same category as the previous clips.  Barely two minutes long, jumpy, monotone, detached...etc.

Watch the intro trailer.  Watch the TV spot.  One is 2 minutes shorter.

But in the end...

Honestly, the first 2 cinematics were not that great. The first cinematic was just about random races fighting each other because classic WoW had no central villian or main storyline. The second cinematic was a bit better because Illidan, a main villian was in it but it still showed off some random races fighting.

The WoTLK cinematic has a lot more lore and it actually focused on the central villian of WOTLK, Arthas.

In Cataclysm, the central villian is Deathwing and that is exactly what the cinematic should be about: The central villian, not showing off some races fighting each other because we've see it already.

This cinematic is right on top with the Wrath cinematic and I don't care what you haters say. The CGI in the cinematic is just as good as any other cinematics that Blizzard produced.

If it had not been a case that you had quoted me with this, I would not have bothered responding.  Your post literally makes no sense...

The first cinematic was an introduction to the game.  It was exciting and offered some glimpses of what a player might be able to do and hooked the players in to the game.  The second cinematic introduced two new races that would be playable while touching upon the events unfolding in the game.  It even included some humor with the Sheeping and killing the Murlocs.  This was brilliant.

The fourth cinematic...should have been longer.  It should have included aspects on the new player races as the first two had.  It should have done as good a job with Deathwing as they did with Arthas in the third cinematic.  They did not.

The Cata clip is the worst clip of the four.  As to the CGI of the clip, well - the longest continuous part was on par with the login screen for LK...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

My opinion =  Who cares.  "Cinematics" as you guys call them are an entirely different skillset to make than a game.  The models are many times more detailed, the rigging is much more intricate, the timing and animation need to be tracked and paced and the textures are completely different.  There is also lighting techniques used that you can't use in a game engine and layers and filters that you can't use in a game engine.  So pretty much these movies that you see made for MMO's are nothing more than another marketing tool and I can guarantee you the hand that makes the games is not the hands that make the movies.  You can label it as "Blizzard" all you want but it has no real bearing on Blizzard or it's standards and practices at all.  They needed a movie made and they paid someone to craft one.  Simple as that.  There is no real data to gather by comparing these movies to each other or to the game because they were probably made with different teams.  It is what it is.

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

In terms of pure narrative and hype surrounding such, I found WotLK to be my favorite. There's no real combat, death, or anything. It's just Arthas, with a foreboding speech given to him by his deceased father about ruling an empire, then you see him in an ironic nature, raise an army of undead. The BC and vanilla cinematics just showcased some of the new races and bosses, and Cataclysm's was a Roland Emmerich trailer.

Originally posted by choujiofkono

My opinion =  Who cares.  "Cinematics" as you guys call them are an entirely different skillset to make than a game.  The models are many times more detailed, the rigging is much more intricate, the timing and animation need to be tracked and paced and the textures are completely different.  There is also lighting techniques used that you can't use in a game engine and layers and filters that you can't use in a game engine.  So pretty much these movies that you see made for MMO's are nothing more than another marketing tool and I can guarantee you the hand that makes the games is not the hands that make the movies.  You can label it as "Blizzard" all you want but it has no real bearing on Blizzard or it's standards and practices at all.  They needed a movie made and they paid someone to craft one.  Simple as that.  There is no real data to gather by comparing these movies to each other or to the game because they were probably made with different teams.  It is what it is.

Also, do you know if Blizzard makes their own CG, or if they contract it out to anothe studio, like ILM?

• ObzerverObzerver Member Posts: 225

Originally posted by Toxilium

Also, do you know if Blizzard makes their own CG, or if they contract it out to anothe studio, like ILM?

They have their own cinematics team which they have been using since the early diablo, warcraft and starcraft games.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

I'd rather see game improvbements than rather than cinematics...but one now and then does not hurt, and art like most things is subjective.