Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon Bad ?

linxp0c128linxp0c128 Member Posts: 4

So recently I decided to give the game "Alganon" a shot despite the mud&crud spread all over this title. What can I say.. I make a habbit out of torturing myself with subpar games. *Laugh laugh laugh* Any who!? I downloaded the game and was ready to play all in less then a few hours. When I logged in I was rather surprised at first once i fine tuned a few things the performance was actually quite good. Wait a minute didint i read a post saying that the performance was shyte next to nothing ? Matter O fact i did, so right away there was a check off my list. Couple more hours into the world of Alganon i start to realize im actually having fun playing this game and then i thought to myself once again.. didint i read a post where somone declared that this game was a CLONE! of World of Warcraft? Oh yes! Matter of fact i did read a post just like that one. Where at first glance mayhap it seems familiarly like Wow.. its not. .. Fact my whole time playing it i did not feel as if i were playing WoW at all.

Obviously there are only so many ways you can perfect a UI, and i like the UI they use its not to shabby, and i dont ever remember World of Warcraft having a "study" book where you can find means of advancing yourself In combat techs or magic etc. To be honest i really feel this game deserves a better rating then what it currently has "A" low 6 it should atleast be a 7 not a 6.. Maybe in the past it earned a 6 but i wouldint know about all that sense i only recently tried the game and basically stayed away from it bc of all the rotten posts about that game.

System specs i am running on alganon

(AMD athlon D-C/2/ 2.33 ghz)

Windows Vista (32)

2gb RAM Corsair xms (series)

Nvidia 250GT (spyder) 1gb ram

(note) Performance is Less in window mode for some reason.

Runs Great on my Wifes older computer aswell (Nivida 800 Series) 512 mb

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Alganon very bad.

• linxp0c128linxp0c128 Member Posts: 4

Your speaking from experience i presume ? Well tell me what in your mind makes Alganon so bad ? My wife and myself enjoy playing the game.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by linxp0c128

Your speaking from experience i presume ? Well tell me what in your mind makes Alganon so bad ? My wife and myself enjoy playing the game.

Good for you. I hope you and your wife continue to enjoy it. It needs many more players.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • DIY_fleshlitDIY_fleshlit Member Posts: 58

From what I hear it's a WoW clone. Why play the clone when you can play the original?

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I'm into gameplay. This game has sloppy, unresponsive gameplay. The second I float jumped I realized that whatever team created this mess of a movement/battle system should never be hired again.

Gameplay is important to me and this game was light years behind what I expect from a current 3d game.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

If you could reach the level cap without paying any $$ then there would be a lot fewer detractors.  Criticisms of the games engine, networking and art design have been well documented.  As have the less than positive encounters with Beaver Bandit, aka Derek Smart.  QoL management simply doesn't understand the MMO market or how to salvage their game.

If you enjoy the game more power to you, but most people that have tried it AND other F2P MMO's find Alganon to be on the lower end of the scale.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I played it for about five minutes and couldn't take it anymore...

I think that was the fastest I have ever uninstalled a game.

• wicked45wicked45 Member Posts: 59

So recently I decided to give the game "Alganon" a shot despite the mud&crud spread all over this title. What can I say.. I make a habbit out of torturing myself with subpar games. *Laugh laugh laugh* Any who!? I downloaded the game and was ready to play all in less then a few hours. When I logged in I was rather surprised at first once i fine tuned a few things the performance was actually quite good. Wait a minute didint i read a post saying that the performance was shyte next to nothing ? Matter O fact i did, so right away there was a check off my list. Couple more hours into the world of Alganon i start to realize im actually having fun playing this game and then i thought to myself once again.. didint i read a post where somone declared that this game was a CLONE! of World of Warcraft? Oh yes! Matter of fact i did read a post just like that one. Where at first glance mayhap it seems familiarly like Wow.. its not. .. Fact my whole time playing it i did not feel as if i were playing WoW at all.

Obviously there are only so many ways you can perfect a UI, and i like the UI they use its not to shabby, and i dont ever remember World of Warcraft having a "study" book where you can find means of advancing yourself In combat techs or magic etc. To be honest i really feel this game deserves a better rating then what it currently has "A" low 6 it should atleast be a 7 not a 6.. Maybe in the past it earned a 6 but i wouldint know about all that sense i only recently tried the game and basically stayed away from it bc of all the rotten posts about that game.

System specs i am running on alganon

(AMD athlon D-C/2/ 2.33 ghz)

Windows Vista (32)

2gb RAM Corsair xms (series)

Nvidia 250GT (spyder) 1gb ram

(note) Performance is Less in window mode for some reason.

Runs Great on my Wifes older computer aswell (Nivida 800 Series) 512 mb

Nice try Derek....:)

• RynneRynne Member UncommonPosts: 497

Originally posted by DIY_fleshlit

From what I hear it's a WoW clone. Why play the clone when you can play the original?

The original is not always the better one.......

In this case it isimage

• DIY_fleshlitDIY_fleshlit Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Rynne

Originally posted by DIY_fleshlit

The original is not always the better one.......

In this case it isimage

12 million people can't be wrong. They can be dumb, but not wrong.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rmasonrmason Member Posts: 140

I looked into this game after reading an article on it. It looked and sounded decent..... then Derek Smart reared his head.

After I read a few posts of his I decided I would not touch a game that he has a hand in. Anyone who is that high up in a company that blatantly insults/harrasses/bans people of the game community for having any opinion contrary to his. And with all the things he did to get to the position he is in with his smear campaign on his predecessor.

That guy is humanity near its worst.

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Is the actual game play bad?  No.  I've given it an honest shot and I like playing it.

What is bad about the game, IMO?

• Bugs - lots of them.  Geography and pathing bugs are some of the worst examples and are horrible throughout the game.  Yes the team has patched bugs and I know they're working on things like pathing.  That being said, the game launched in a terrible state in 2009, relaunched in April 2010  It's now October and it still feels like a beta game, due to the sheer number of issues.

• Stability - I've experienced both server and client crashes. Some client crashes happened from simply clicking a link in an NPC dialogue window.

• Low population - absurdly low - there's little to no economy or enough players to group with at all levels.  Want to be a crafter?  Create some resource gathering alts, because you probably won't be able to buy resources from the auction house.

• The revenue model - I don't have anything against F2P and I don't mind paying microtransactions.  I do have problems paying for the ability to chat with other players outside of tells/groups. To be fair - Derek Smart has stated that chat restrictions are gong to be lifted and/or changed in the near future. I do have concerns about Alganon being a pay-to-win game once the first pass of PvP goes live next month.  I was able to demonstrate that my level 30 Ranger could benefit substantially from purchased gear compared to the gear I acquired in game and there are other ways one could gain a significant competitive advantage through the Tribute Market.  On top of that, a feature was just added to the game, for a price, that was supposed to have been in the game at the original launch in 2009 - even those players who actually purchased the game back then have to pay for the feature now...

• Originality - do I mean that it's a WoW clone, specifically?  No.  But it plays pretty much like a standard fantasy MMO.  Is there anything unique enough about it and so well done that it makes Alganon shine in an otherwise crowed market? What is so special about Alganon thatt will enable it compete with Runes of Magic, LoTRO and EQ II or the slew of other F2P games?  The study system isn't enough to make the game unique and stand out.

So, is Alganon a bad game?  It depends on your perspective. Personally, I consider Alganon a "diamond in the rough". It has fun play and a ton of potential, but it needs a lot in order to succeed. 

As for the ratings, they're based on an average of 8 specific categories, most of which are subjective.  Here are some of my thoughts on the categories.

1. Graphics - what does "graphics" mean? For most people, it boils down to "looks", but it should also encompass technologies used and available to the player.  As for looks, I personally like most of the world environment in Alganon. I think it's a pretty world.  The character models and animations can be horrible, though, which I'm sure lowers this rating for many players.

2. Sound - personally, I like the sound, although others have noted that ambient sounds are so loud as to be very distracting.  I had headphones on the other night and thought it was odd that I could only hear a specific spell effect out of my right ear, though...

3. Role playing - pretty much non-existent as far as traditional role-playing goes.  Then again, there's so few players, it's a moot point.

4. Value - it'sf ree, right?  How could it not be a good value?  Well, it's free, unless you want to actually chat with other players (chat with other players in a MMO? Crazy talk!) or unless you level up to 30.  There's also the fact that Dual Roles just got introduced, for a price - something that was supposed to be included as a feature from the very beginning.

5. Fun - I've definitely had fun soloing the game, but how often do I have opportunities to group with other players my own level?  Almost never.. Forget about running low level instances.. Is it fun leveling up crafting only to find out you can't craft an item (either to use or simply to continue raising your crafting skill) only to find out you can't craft it due to not being able to craft an ingredient necessary and not being able to buy it in the auction house?  Not really.. So,  yeah, it's fun if you like to solo or if you have a built-in group mate, like you do..

6. Community -community, to me, is more than just the players you chat with in game. There are the players you chat with, modders (the game allows for LUA script mods, I believe), forum members, clan mates, fansite operators, etc.  How much of that exists?  Not much.  The few people I've met in game have been pretty friendly, but not exceptionally so.  The boards are pretty quiet, due to the population.  How do you rate something that doesn't really exist?

7. Performance/Lag - it works acceptably well, in general, on my older laptop.  That being said, I have occasional issues.

8. Customer service - personally, I've been happy with the technical support I've received.  That's the extent of my personal experience with it, though.

~Kurt

• linxp0c128linxp0c128 Member Posts: 4

Though you may think im "Darek" you'd be rong and rather silly for that matter. Any nit wit could tell im not him.. look at the way i type?... Like i said i actually enjoy this game and i could careless about ppl&politics. From what i hear Darek smart is bad bad bad. Well good for him or who ever else it may consern. Mine is not over a person but rather a decent game that has good potential but instead it gets a smeared name bc of cone heads like ur self who think im Dsmart trying to hard:) So instead of talkign about how bad a person is why dont you try and focus on the game.

Wicked45 "Nice try Darek" 

• SgtFrogSgtFrog Member Posts: 5,001

This post seems fishy.

Either way, I do not care how good the game is or how much better it wiill get...I refuse to give my money to Derek Smart..not even a penny.

March on! - Lets Invade Pekopon

• ioryadragonioryadragon Member Posts: 91

A decent review which i agree with is published here:  http://xmmorpg.com/articles/alganon-review

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

LOL, no, they realize you're not Derek smart, its just a thinly veiled form of sarcastic humor basically inferring that only Derek Smart could talk so positively about this game.

Rhinok gave you a pretty good run-down of the sort of complaints that have surfaced about the game over the years, and while you might not agree with some of them (such as the game looking like WOW) it doesn't change many players perception of the title, right or wrong.

And remember, you only get one chance to create a good first impression. Perhaps some or even many of the problems observed at launch no longer remain, but people aren't going to go back and take another look without some very compelling reasons to do so.

You might be enjoying it, but resurrecting MMO's back from the dead is difficult and not often successful.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SeffrenSeffren Member Posts: 743

Though you may think im "Darek" you'd be rong and rather silly for that matter. Any nit wit could tell im not him.. look at the way i type?... Like i said i actually enjoy this game and i could careless about ppl&politics. From what i hear Darek smart is bad bad bad. Well good for him or who ever else it may consern. Mine is not over a person but rather a decent game that has good potential but instead it gets a smeared name bc of cone heads like ur self who think im Dsmart trying to hard:) So instead of talkign about how bad a person is why dont you try and focus on the game.

Wicked45 "Nice try Darek" 

It's Derek, no doubt!

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

Originally posted by ioryadragon

A decent review which i agree with is published here:  http://xmmorpg.com/articles/alganon-review

That was a decent, albeit "fluffly" review. I hadn't read it before.  I found it interesting that it didn't really touch on anything technical, such as performance or bugs, though.

Also, in general, I dislike reviews that give seemingly arbitrary rating values without identifying the scales or metrics used to set the rating.

~Ripper

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I played the free 2 play for some hours when it was pretty new. The quests were boring, the graphics subpar, choice classes and races extremely limited. What really bugged me though that the world felt so lifeless. Not only because of the lack of players, but because the NPCs don't act like living beeings. They stand on one spot at all time and barely move. If one or two would do that, it wouldn't matter that much. But if you see several of them standing around this way, it just seems surreal. Yes, a few NPCs move, but they are rare. The same is true for the mobs you got to kill. They move around one or two steps, but that's it. Walking through the world was for me like walking through a zoon with invisible walls, since the mobs would stay huddled up in one area they'd never leave. And the NPCs didn't give the impression of beeing alive either.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487

The screenshots from that review are almost cut and paste WOW.  The hotkeys, the character look, the environments all are WOW clones lol.  I had heard this game was a WOW clone but never saw pics before, thats scary.