Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Possible player in need of many long answers (please)

SkerzySkerzy Member Posts: 18

Ok this is going to be kinda long winded and it's going to need some veteran EQ2 answers :P sorry for any spelling mistakes in advance. Answer as many or as few questions as you like, any help is seriously appreciated, FAQ's and forums dont give as much detail as I'd like and mostly don't answer my questoins. I am an end game competitive raider / pvper on WoW and considering a move to EQ2. So i have many questions here i go!

1.  In WoW raiding is at a decent difficulty for normal raiders to experience every encounter, and then has heroic modes for serious raiders. What is it like in EQ? Does everyone generally clear everything? Are there hard modes of encounters? Do guilds compete for first kills on servers / worldwide? How often is new raid content released? How large are raid groups? How many of each role of class does each raid group posess? (Tank / healer / dps). How often can you complete raids? Rate for difficulty out of 10 and fun out of 10 for raiding in EQ please.

2.  How long would it take to reach level 90 roughly?

3.  Is Nagafen the only pvp server? Is there top end raiding on that server? Are there EU servers because I only saw them based in the US? What is pvp about in EQ? Do you get the best pvp gear by doing well in pvp? Or do you just accumulate better pvp gear over time regardless of skill? Are there different kinds of gear at all? (PvE / PvP). Is the PvP 'good' in your opinions? Can you walk into an opposing factions city and attack other people? Is there world pvp? Can high level players kill low level players? Do you turn pvp on and off? What level do you have to be to enter battlegrounds? Are the battlegrounds good? What rewards do they give?

4. How much would I lose out on because of not having big veteran awards in game?

5. Can a new account holder RAF 2 other accounts?

6. Explain IN DETAIL the advantages and disadvantages of each class / profession / race / faction / stats / anything you can think of along those lines.

7. Is solo leveling to 90 an option? Or would it have to be grouped at certain points?

8. How hard is it to secure a place in a top end raiding guild? What is the guild system like?

9. Mention any details of the game I probably won't be aware of / should be aware of / would be interesting to be aware of.

10. What are the best graphics settings like? Is there ever server lag? Do EU players have trouble playing US servers? How much space does the game take up? (all expansions etc)

11. Are there ever queues to log into the game?

12. Where does a raiders gear come from? Primarily boss fights in raids? Trash in raids? Smaller dungeos? Crafted items? Can you enhance your gear in any way like enchanting on WoW? How many items drop per boss? What quality are the drops? What different types of quality are there? I assume serious guilds do have preset raid times like WoW?

13. Anything at all you can think of, tell me please!

Thanks in advance to any and all answers, I might ask more questions if  I think of any :)

Comments

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Skerzy

4. How much would I lose out on because of not having big veteran awards in game?

not much

some limited use experience potions / some fluff items /

weekly vitality experience reset item / Call of Veteran (handy for summoning other players)

yes - assuming RAF is still being supported

10. How much space does the game take up? (all expansions etc)

the expansions are all inclusive -- and include all previous expansions

with Sentinels Fate, my game directory is  28 gig

not that Ive ever seen in the past few years -- last time I saw a queue was the 1st month of launch

12. Where does a raiders gear come from? Primarily boss fights in raids? Trash in raids? Smaller dungeos? Crafted items? Can you enhance your gear in any way like enchanting on WoW? How many items drop per boss? What quality are the drops? What different types of quality are there? I assume serious guilds do have preset raid times like WoW?

much of the best gear comes from marks and armor patterns (similar to WOWs badge system), you can enhance all of your gear w adornments -- similar to WOW enchantments

for an example of a serious raid guild recruiting for others, can visit this link

http://www.xanadu-community.com/mb_msg_view.php?id=69416

its also worth browsing EQ2 Wiki and the EQ2 Flames forums

http://eq2.wikia.com/wiki/EverQuest_2_Wiki:Main_Page

http://www.eq2flames.com/

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by Skerzy

Ok this is going to be kinda long winded and it's going to need some veteran EQ2 answers :P sorry for any spelling mistakes in advance. Answer as many or as few questions as you like, any help is seriously appreciated, FAQ's and forums dont give as much detail as I'd like and mostly don't answer my questoins. I am an end game competitive raider / pvper on WoW and considering a move to EQ2. So i have many questions here i go!

1.  In WoW raiding is at a decent difficulty for normal raiders to experience every encounter, and then has heroic modes for serious raiders. What is it like in EQ? Does everyone generally clear everything?  

EQ2 has an expansion approximately once a year that trivializes most of the previous expac's raid content.  Generally speaking there is 1-3 guilds per server that will clear all content before the next expansion's release.  There is probably about 10-20 guilds that clear some of the content.

Are there hard modes of encounters?  

Yes.

Do guilds compete for first kills on servers / worldwide?

Yes.

How often is new raid content released?

There is a new expac once a year which releases the majority of new raid content.  During the year there is generally one or two more zones added.

How large are raid groups?

Normal raids are 24-person.  Although most expacs usually have a zone or couple of encounters for 12-person groups.

How many of each role of class does each raid group posess? (Tank / healer / dps).

1-3 Tanks.  Usually 2, some encounters require 3.  Most guilds switch some classes (via alts) on the go depending on encounter.

5-9 healers.   5 & 9 are rare. 

8 utility (1 bard + 1 chanter per group is best)

6 dps.

How often can you complete raids?

Depends on the raid.  Zones have lockout times.  Some are doable every 3 days, some are every 6.  

Rate for difficulty out of 10 and fun out of 10 for raiding in EQ please.

Really depends on the specific raids.  Overall, I'd rank it 10/10 based on games I've played.  Otherwise I'd be playing something else.  Is it theoretically possible to have better raiding?  Probably.  But I've no seen it.

2.  How long would it take to reach level 90 roughly?

I've seen people do it in 24 hours of hardcore playtime during an XP bonus weekend and while being power-leveled.  Other people have taken years.  If you dedicate yourself, you're probably looking at about 50 hours playtime.  However, being level 90 isn't enough.  You also need at least 175 AAs to be viable, and over 230 to be fully functional.  To hit 90/250, I'd say about 150 hours of hardcore play.  But this is a very rough estimate.

3.  Is Nagafen the only pvp server? no idea. pvp in eq2 sucks. if you want pvp, play AoC or AION.

Is there top end raiding on that server?

Are there EU servers because I only saw them based in the US?  yes, there are both. 

What is pvp about in EQ? Do you get the best pvp gear by doing well in pvp? Or do you just accumulate better pvp gear over time regardless of skill? Are there different kinds of gear at all? (PvE / PvP). Is the PvP 'good' in your opinions? Can you walk into an opposing factions city and attack other people? Is there world pvp? Can high level players kill low level players? Do you turn pvp on and off? What level do you have to be to enter battlegrounds? Are the battlegrounds good? What rewards do they give?  

really, someone else should answer you pvp questions.  but yes, there is pvp gear and pvp'ing is the way to get it.

you lose nothing worthwhile.

yes.

6. Explain IN DETAIL the advantages and disadvantages of each class / profession / race / faction / stats / anything you can think of along those lines.

race doesn't matter - at all.

you don't need to worry about factions until high level and by then you'll figure out what they do.  there is nothing to screw up here and nothing important.

i can't tell you anything about professions because i don't craft.

classes - there are multiple posts on this.  do a search.

7. Is solo leveling to 90 an option? Or would it have to be grouped at certain points?

Yes it's very much possible and on a normal (not EQ2x) server, it's probably best way to go.   Especially because it will help you get more AA along the way.  

8. How hard is it to secure a place in a top end raiding guild? What is the guild system like?

Guild system is good ?  I dunno, i don't find anything lacking really.  

Top end guilds care about your performance and will let you compete for a spot.  So if you're a good player, you won't be at a disadvantage except in your lack of gear.  If you don't suck, you should be able to group and pug raid enough decent gear to let you apply and succeed.   Elite gear you'll get once you get in.   If you show up to apply to top tier raid guild at level 90, but with 170 AAs, no masters and no crit mit gear, you'll probably be told to f*** off.   There is also no substitute for experience and it's very easy to get into raiding with lower quality guilds.  So get in, learn, upgrade your stuff and by then you'll know when you're good enough to apply to a top tier guild.

9. Mention any details of the game I probably won't be aware of / should be aware of / would be interesting to be aware of.

THe world and lore are absolutely terrible.  BUt the endgame grouping and raiding are awesome.  

10. What are the best graphics settings like? Is there ever server lag? Do EU players have trouble playing US servers? How much space does the game take up? (all expansions etc)

Most people cannot raid on the best graphics settings.  The game is generally poorly optimized, so you have to set your settings lower to raid.  That being said, the game can still look great even raiding.  There is currently one raid zone that has a lot of lag, usually they fix that sort of stuff eventually.

EU playing US no problems.   I am leader of a raid guild that has both Euro and US players and we do just fine.  

How much space does the game take up? (all expansions etc

Approx 20 gigs i think... i dont remember and im not home.

no such thing.

12. Where does a raiders gear come from? Primarily boss fights in raids? Trash in raids? Smaller dungeos?

A raider's gear comes primarily from raids.  Mostly from named fights, althogh there are some trash drops.  There are also some worthwhile in group zones or from quests, but generally 90-100% of a raider's gear is raids.   When the level cap goes up with an expansion (it's not going up in the next), usually people gear up from group isntances first as that gear ends up being better than some of the lower level raid gear.

Crafted items? Can you enhance your gear in any way like enchanting on WoW? 

Never played wow, but you do adorning in EQ2, which adds a small effect to your gear.  adornments are made by crafters.

How many items drop per boss? 

1-5, depending on the boss.  Hard mode encounters usually drop 4-5 items.

What quality are the drops? 

Fabled

What different types of quality are there?

Common, Treasured, Handcrafted, Mastercrafted, Legendary, Fabled.    There is a mythical quality also, but it's special and not commonly used.

I assume serious guilds do have preset raid times like WoW?

yes preset time.  like wow? i don't know.

13. Anything at all you can think of, tell me please!

Thanks in advance to any and all answers, I might ask more questions if  I think of any :)

Ask less questions, go play the game.  Answers above.

For class info and raid progression, go to eq2flames.com  it's where the majority of serious players post.  enter at your own risk, ask stupid questions and you WILL get flamed.  if you're under 18, don't go.   you've been warmed.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

image   How long to get to 90?   Its 4 years and counting for me, but Im very casual with this game.   Only recently had a itch to level up my toon, so far Im level 57.    Not really much time in, I looked and Ive only played 9 days 3 hrs.  187 in AA.   havnt been power leveling much.