Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes you quit an MMORPG?

124»

Comments

• gatherisgatheris Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

2 things guaranteed to make me quit

a game with a subscription model that plops in a cash shop and keeps the sub (like Fallen Earth)

population falls to pointlessness (like Ryzom)

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671

Boredom, poor controls/UI (Click to move in older games and FFXI/FFXIV's UI being good examples of these for me), repetitiveness, and elitism (I am extremely competitve and would like to be one of the best in any game I play, but this doesn't mean I have to rub it in others' faces or mistreat and demean them.  This factor is almost unavoidable in any multiplayer game, but there are some titles where it was too much for me).

Steam: Neph

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

1. Too easy - When mmos become too easy to complete then it is just a waste of time for me.

2. Bad graphics/art -  If the game looks like crap then i won't even go near it.

• theartisttheartist Member Posts: 553

Tedium, which yes is a form of boredom, and uninspiring progression generally keeps me from reaching at least cap in a game.

Lack of an interesting community. I mean even a trash talking community is better in my opinion than a quiet (and shusshes everyone else) and listless community.

Manipulating rep points to get things. I don't like repeating things too often, and if I have to repuation grind to move on in any fashion; I'd rather not.

• ardohainardohain Member Posts: 103

instanced zones (both having to go thru a loading screen zone to zone, and multiple instances of the same zone existing on your server).

the look and feel of a game are of top importance to me. being immersed in that world, helping me forget that i'm boxed in by circuitry and algorithms, the customization options of the UI, the sense of control of the character - all this stuff is huge to me. instanced zones is the last thing that just kills it for me if the other things aren't going well either.

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Originally posted by TheHavok

When I no longer feel like I am having fun.

This

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• ruonimruonim Member Posts: 251

boring repeative gameplay aka grind

excessive amouts of time to finish something aka hard mode (which isnt hard anyway)

0.01% to get item aka grind

lack od good pvp

pve that focuses on kill XXXXXXX amout of mobs to get 1 lvl

oww i excluded 95% mmos.

• viditorumviditorum Member Posts: 60

As others have said before me. When it is no longer fun.

• OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74

when they get rid of fun aspects of the game 

(nerfing rank 50 nukes in Darkfall and replacing them with more OP rays. then going back to nerf the rays so magic is just a limp dick of whatever)

also, see: NGE

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

When there are no PUGs. I should be more proactive in getting groups together be it via guild, party search window, etc. But fact is I don't. If the game doesn't make it easy and rewarding to PUG, I quit.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• SwampRobSwampRob Member UncommonPosts: 1,003

I'll tell you one thing that has made me quit several in the past:   it's when a game lets me solo to the level cap, and then requires that I group up to continue progressing my character (ie improve his gear).

I'll be so glad when one MMO has the balls to finally offer an alternative method to endgame that isn't forced grouping.

• droy900droy900 Member Posts: 2

hey does anyone on wen blade&soul will be coming

• dirtyjoe78dirtyjoe78 Member Posts: 400

Originally posted by Adamantine

In Lineage 2 it was community problems after several months of playing. PvP is very stressful to me, although since then I actually miss it.

In Vanguard: Saga of Heroes it was lack of community. If you cant get groups any more simply because areas are empty, and if your old guild broke apart and if you cant find a new one of the same playstyle on the same server (I wanted a laidback guild with many lowlevel alts, as I love playing my alt - not some hardcore thing).

In Guild Wars (if you count it as a MMO) it was extreme boredom after only a couple of days of playing. I think the only reason GW is a success is because people buy it and, out of boredom, stop playing.

LOL wtf were you playing L2 for if PvP is stressful, on a side note i still think L2 has some of the best PvP ever.

/ontopic

When friends start leaving the game or they "patch" the game and some dev thought it was a good idea to listen to some no talent assclowns and nerfs my favorite class.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

GOA made me quit WAR.

They organised server transfers, from the server I had Order characters to a server where I had Destruction characters, so of course I could not transfer them there as you cannot have chars on both sides on the same server. GOA's response was "delete the destruction chars or don't play the Order chars". I said FU and quit.

I am back there now as GOA have been sacked by Mythic. Don't know why they were allowed to run WAR after there apparent mess up in DAoC, but anyway they lost Mythic a lot of customers in the EU.

Other than that I hardly quit a MMORPG, I always come back to the ones I enjoy after I tire of them, and rotate between them.

• NilwarpNilwarp Member Posts: 60

I usually leave a MMO when I reach the point of a repetitive end-game mechanism or when I know the end-game will be like that.

At that time I reach the limit of the game in my eyes.

Just to make the thing clear, I don't mind grinding stuff when leveling. But when I know the end-game is a grind it is over.

The MMO I stayed subbed the most was DAoC, with a non repetitive character progression at the end-game (there is so few MMO like that...).

That one I left it because my in-game mates left and I was basically alone in a dual-account world (buff bots).