Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Catching Up in Skill/Extension Points?

RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

So I played a bit of the open beta, and was told directly by a GM that there is no Extension (skill) point cap, and every player can learn all extensions, but that to do so would take years.  In other words, exact same system as EVE Online.

I take it that means that down the road, assuming the game is successfull, a new player who picks the game up a year from now will always be, in some sense, at a disadvantage to the older players, also just like EVE? 

Just making sure there isn't some mechanism in place that addresses this (for example, some way to gain extra extension/skill points via effort in game), etc.

Comments

• ShizaxxxShizaxxx Member Posts: 86

Do you believe that new players in Eve will never be able to catch up with a player that played from day 1? You can get fully combat capped in a matter of months. Sure, you wont be able to catch up with him in every profession, but then again, who needs that? You will always be able to catch up on the professions/skills you want to catch up. It is in no way unbalanced.

• BoyCBoyC Member UncommonPosts: 89

Older players will have more options, but versatility doesn't mean that they can't be caught up with in your choice of fields.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Currently, it takes about 6 months to get almost perfect extensions(level 9) needed to operate a Mech, which is the 2-nd largest mech in the game currently.

Note, that getting the extensions to level 7 will take significantly lower times and the performance difference won't be as significant.

Larger bot you drive, more EP you need. Same as in EVE. The game will be balanced overtime and hopefully smaller bots will get better use.

It is also important to mention that transition between bots, the versatility of bots you can use, is much easier because how extensions requirements are structured.

So, yes. As a matter of fact, new player will be put in some sort of disadvantage but at the same time it does not affect the competitiveness with older players.

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Shizaxxx

Do you believe that new players in Eve will never be able to catch up with a player that played from day 1? You can get fully combat capped in a matter of months. Sure, you wont be able to catch up with him in every profession, but then again, who needs that? You will always be able to catch up on the professions/skills you want to catch up. It is in no way unbalanced.

That's the way I feel. I'd add that, one of the other big factors here and in EVE are that you bot/ship can be destroyed. I CAN fly a fully fitted T2 top of the line Battleship in EVE, but I usually run around in a Battlecruiser for PvP because being medium sized it can take on smaller AND larger ships. Bigger might be better for some things, but more is also better. 2 of us in Battlecruisers will beat 1 Battleship 9x out of 10 and that 1 time we loose one, it costs a lot less to replace.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

Originally posted by RollieJoe

So I played a bit of the open beta, and was told directly by a GM that there is no Extension (skill) point cap, and every player can learn all extensions, but that to do so would take years.  In other words, exact same system as EVE Online.

I take it that means that down the road, assuming the game is successfull, a new player who picks the game up a year from now will always be, in some sense, at a disadvantage to the older players, also just like EVE? 

Just making sure there isn't some mechanism in place that addresses this (for example, some way to gain extra extension/skill points via effort in game), etc.

look how intelligent you are for bringing up the Catching Up topic, here and on EvE over time you only have more options and you only can have on robot active anytime so after certain point a n00b can compete and win a veteran on certain options/robots/spec

another point is if there is a way to earn extra points in game who is most likely to use this ways a veteran or a new player ? if there is a wasy to gain extra points in-game this will help always the veteran players because this have more time in the game and this can lead to a darkfall situation ( where this ways allowed veteran players to get many stats to 100 and also skill to 100, in case of darkfall this is just a reason for unskilled players to cry  because after certain points skills to 100 and stats 100 dont make so much difference and the difference is made by player RL skill /cognitive capacity)

also bringing up this discussion EvE skill system tell me that you like (or help you whit some inferiority complex) to grind up stuff and you dont like the concept of equal progression for each player so in my opinion you should focus your attention in a game that have grind like aion, if i am mistaken on this supposition i made i got only one more question to you, in your opinion how this real life time progression have a effect over the casual player and how this have a effect on dev's expenses ?

BestSigEver :P

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

Originally posted by Shizaxxx

You can get fully combat capped in a matter of months. 

I think this pretty much sums up the replies.

What more is there to say? 

• DehriosDehrios Member Posts: 20

Older players pay more EP for less of a bonus. So it does not take much time at all.