Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

question before I try it

WondorWondor Member Posts: 26

So I'm totally new here and know nothing about EVE whatsoever tho I've heard that it's real-time based and that if u start now there's no way u can catch up with player that started lets say 1 year ago, is this true? = /

Comments

• n00n3rn00n3r Member Posts: 45

Yes, and no.

every skill in the game has a max rank of 5.  so while other players may have more training time on their character, it only means that they have more skills at max, which mostly allows for more variety.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Yes and no. Skilling up is real time based and as such vets have an advantage BUT that really isn't as big an issue as people would have you believe.

There are only so many skills you can effectively utilize in any given ship you fly, so in theory there is a sort of 'cap', that vets can fly far more ships far more effectively than you means little when you have locked onto them in space as they can't simply switch ship on you.

No one will kid you, you are not going to be zooming around nullsec popping people ships left right and center within a week or a month, but getting to a point where you can get some action is nowhere near as long as some posters would have you think.

EDIT: What n00n3r said lol.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• TadzioTadzio Member UncommonPosts: 103

What he said

More time spent = more variety

You won't be weaker, you will have access to lesser number of toys.

Think about it logically - if it was so bad, game wouldnt grow.

Also, this can be mitigated by multiple accounts, but this really isnt something you should be concerned with atm.

Just download it and have some fun ;)

Good luck

• RollieJoeRollieJoe Member UncommonPosts: 451

First, to answer your question: you will never really "catch up" to the vets; its just not possible based on EVE's system (which is the game's largest flaw just IMO).

However, if you pick a *very* specific role for yourself, say for example and in general terms, "a small fast ship that keeps enemy players from escaping but doesn't attempt to do any damage", then you can be on par with veterans attempting to do this same role after about 6-8 months, or somewhat faster if you buy ISK and implants.

Now, you didn't specifically ask this, but a related question of "how soon can I do useful things in the game" depends largely on whether you join a big corp.  As a solo/play with a couple friends player, you won't be able to do any real PvP for 6 months minimum, but if you manage to find a good, large corp you can contribute in more like 1-2 months in a small way.  You can contribute on the PvE end right away, by harvesting resources.

If you are really serious about getting into EVE at this point, and you have a good bit of IRL money you don't mind spending on entertainment, you can purchase game cards from EVE, sell them for ISK (game money) and then use game money to buy a veteran character, all 100% approved by EVE.  This is really the only way a new person will be able to get on even footing at this point.

• WondorWondor Member Posts: 26

Thanks for the fast replies,

Don't sound that bad, doesn't really matter if I can't catch up to the vets as long as I can something without getting my ass whopped =p

On that note, is it any fun to play by yourself? (All my friends are playing WoW >.<)

Also can u start doing your thing ingame for example mining and then go afk for a few hours or so?

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

There are plenty of things to do by yourself, but no joke, *if* you can find a fantastic corp, Eve online has the potential to be one's best mmo experience. The hurdle there is finding that solid corp. 

But yeah, you can have fun on your own. I just think the experience is so much more enhanced when playing as a team.

Also, concerning SP, yeah it's impossible to catch up with other people, but that doesn't mean what it sounds like it means. You can still participate in a ton of group activities. The faster you want to be badass at something, the more you should specialize in it (as opposed to having SP spread out across a bunch of unrelated skills).  

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Robokapp

edit: my first day I was looking for a button in my interface. Interfacetakes a few hours to get used to. Coming from WoW myself, I asked with skepticism a question about it in the "rookie channel". 2-3 people answered me. Nobody called me a noob or made any typical trade-channel comments. It felt weird. I questioned if those were real players or bots. :)

You have access to the rookie channel for I think the first month of a new account. It's the perfect place for asking questions, and just like Robokapp said, the chat room *is* for asking questions and getting answers, with no limit on what you can ask or how many questions you can ask, and so on. People want to help other people so that more people play the game. 

This is even more true with the Help Channel. It has less people, but I feel like the qualify of the answers you get in the help channel are better than the rookie channel. Also, with less people, the room doesn't scroll by at an insane speed. And just like the rookie channel, people are in there specifically to help. If you ask a question and someone reading knows the answer, they will usually type it. If no one knows, just wait a while and try again. 

The help channel in Eve is the best in game help system I've seen yet. The community of the room is very solid and reliable. 

So how "time demanding" is EVE, I mean do I have to spend 6 hours aday to get anywhere?

Thanks, I will give the free trial a try =p

• CelestialnovaCelestialnova Member Posts: 81

so now I have a question after seeing all of this lol.  I played Earth and Beyond (RIP) and SWG and loved Jump to Lightspeed, and is there anything for exploration and how much fun is gathering/combat?  Is there any beginner points to put skills into as well?  I just loved in E&B exploring the Universe, seeing the planets, etc.  Thanks!