Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PLAY THIS GAME!

13»

Comments

• TuxideTuxide Member UncommonPosts: 213

You can claim you wrote something yourself and that would be enough to be considered absconding. Like what the game director does with PSwiki. Compare the edit histories of these two pages. They're the exact same thing, except one is the original and properly attributed to all authors, and the other was copied and pasted by the game director himself onto PSwiki.

http://tempestintheaether.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=PAWS_specification&action=history

http://planeshift.ezpcusa.com/pswiki/index.php?title=PAWS_specification&action=history

• ChuckiSpuxChuckiSpux Member Posts: 44

Boaal, dear sir, look in the "IRC Rules" thread on this General Discussion forum, and you'll notice that there's a lovely log there where Talad claims a competition project "stole" his resources, and when someone in channel asks if he is referring to the engine he affirms this, then goes on to say that the engine is for PlaneShift, (and PlaneShift only, by extension).

• BoaalBoaal Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by ChuckiSpux

Boaal, dear sir, look in the "IRC Rules" thread on this General Discussion forum, and you'll notice that there's a lovely log there where Talad claims a competition project "stole" his resources, and when someone in channel asks if he is referring to the engine he affirms this, then goes on to say that the engine is for PlaneShift, (and PlaneShift only, by extension).

I cannot believe what I just read. 

I really cannot. 

He claims ownership of Crystal space!? 

Crystal Space and PlaneShift (engine) are not one and the same. PlaneShift has more added to it.

Of course he would, now that jorrit is on the board of directors he might as well claim he owns it too.

Remember, he also claimed that Peragro Tempus was a fork of PlaneShift just because they were using Crystal Space.

• UtMoonUtMoon Member Posts: 99

Originally posted by kaylors

I'm a roleplayer- I love stepping into the shoes of my character and becoming him or her or kra for a while. I love being immersed in the world of the game, reveling in it's rich backstory, amazing, original setting and enjoy communicating with others. I don't want to talk to other players. I want to talk to a dwarf, or a klyros, or a Nolthrir and perhaps go out with a hot diaboli woman(a dermorian can dream, can't he?).

What everyone here (and all through the forums) who have left negative comments must understand is that this is a roleplaying game-

Utmoon - What you need to understand is that most of the people deriding PS are Roleplayers, and once enjoyed the game as you do now. In my personal history with PS, I was a writer, then roleplayer, then organizer of player events, then developer (despite the fact that my name still has not been added to the credits). I was considered to be one of the best roleplayers around by many.

Also, can you show me one game out there that is not led by a corporate team with millions at their disposal and the ability to hire people to work for them? PS is entirely free, no strings attached. The people working on it have a life of their own, their own personal problems, headaches, worries and responsibilities. Yet they find the time to work to deliver such a marvelous game. They're doing it coz they love it and expecting them to do any more is pure foolishness. They never asked anyone to play the game. All they did was say, "Hey, we made this interesting game. Would you like to play it?" If you don't want to play, then just don't.

Given that I was an Associate Developer in the Settings Department assigned the tasks of writing the history of the game through books and quests, I feel that I have more insight than most other people can lay claim to. The development atmosphere is controlled, suffocating, paranoid, and downright poisonous at times. Being on the team destroyed my love for the game, which had already started to wain as a player fed up with the lack of features supporting actual roleplaying using game mechanics. Enforcing OOC/IC chat does not count as a mechanic, and is the only thing at this point that makes the game 'roleplaying' at all. The rest is the community. I would like to say that though the environment on the team was terrible (due to the leadership of the director), there were some great people there who I was good friends with. We all deserved better.

I sincerely hope the development team will never get frustarted and say something like, "Aw, heck! Let's just give them a feature rich game that doesnt care about RP and has an IG mall to get us some moolah." Coz that would be sad day for people like me.

That sad day has come and gone, my friend. You have missed the passing of many a level 'cap' increases, Guildhouse 'auctions' to suck money out of the game, 'nerfing' of mines and ores to make it harder for people to level to the character they want to play, and many other things. You were not around when the NPC chat system was replaced with a more 'mainstream' menu system to draw players in from the big games. You did not see when easy 'grind' features were focused on more than more difficult roleplay supporting mechanics. Simply put, you have not been around long enough to see how roleplaying is gutted in favor of the leveling, questing, and item grind.

And to everyone else who still thinks that this game is rubbish, I humbly beg you to keep your opinions to yourself. I have been very civil and courteous here in this reply. Know that usually I'm as rough as a dwarf.

All opinions should be listened to, for or against any topic. I give my opinion on PS as a warning to others. I tell them what I know and have experienced so that they do not go blindly as I did. If they still chose to follow the game and like it, that is fine by me. If they chose to become a dev and enjoy that as well, more power to them. I will never stand up and say "Don't play this game!". I simply say what I wish someone had told me before I wasted so much time and effort trying to make PS a better roleplaying game, and in the end, failing. Everyone who has tried to make PS better for roleplaying so far has also failed. It is just not what it is billed as.

I changed my mind. PlaneShift is not worth the time.

Originally posted by UtMoon
    ...I was a writer, then roleplayer, then organizer of player events, then developer (despite the fact that my name still has not been added to the credits).
    That's just like the game director to claim he did everything himself, he might as well then.
  • jfk35824jfk35824 Member Posts: 81

an open source mmo running on donations? i applaud them for the idea, i hope they succeed, and i'll keep an eye on it occasionally...we'll see...

• BoaalBoaal Member Posts: 12

Originally posted by ChuckiSpux

Crystal Space and PlaneShift (engine) are not one and the same. PlaneShift has more added to it.

Then why exactly do they keep updateing to another version of crystal space every so often, when they have their own engine, as you say? 

They don't.  Even if they did, you can't take someone else's engine, add something to it, and say "Oh shit, now it's mine". it doesn't work that way. If it was their engine, they'd simply update their engine. But as it's Crystal Space they update, it's Crystal space they use.  To claim the engine as their own they'd have to build it from the ground up. They have not, it is not. 

Originally posted by Boaal
    Then why exactly do they keep updateing to another version of crystal space every so often, when they have their own engine, as you say? 
    They don't.  Even if they did, you can't take someone else's engine, add something to it, and say "Oh shit, now it's mine". it doesn't work that way. If it was their engine, they'd simply update their engine. But as it's Crystal Space they update, it's Crystal space they use.  To claim the engine as their own they'd have to build it from the ground up. They have not, it is not. 

The PlaneShift engine is built on the Crystal Space engine, but uses PAWS as it's GUI system, PSNet for networking, etc.

In other words, Talad picked up a spongecake, added some icing, and doesn't want anyone to enjoy the icing.

• LhaaLhaa Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by UtMoon

Everyone who has tried to make PS better for roleplaying so far has also failed. It is just not what it is billed as.

Planeshift is simply not, it is not intended to be, and it will never be a roleplaying game despite what its definition says. Every time the team has proved this I've requested for the definition of the game to be changed to "a game in which roleplay is allowed" with the result of having my posts deleted; those and all my precedent posts in that forum thread.

What's more interesting to me is 1) assuming their definition is honest, what does Talad think roleplaying is and 2) why does he have such an interest in attracting roleplayers when every move the team does is against enhancing RP in any way.

In the end, everybody who can have fun in Regnum or Runescape will enjoy PS much better than any player who actually wants to roleplay. Yes, everybody willing to roleplay and make the environment better to do such will be disappointed sooner or later. Planeshift is and has been a frustration machine for almost every roleplayer. 

The Planeshift setting open for players: The Mind's Eye Library.

More info here: http://outlaws.myfreeforum.org/about1359.html

[11:09] <@Talad|ZzZ>; Taoki: anyway you should not be scared by RP servers
    [11:09] <@Talad|ZzZ>; in WoW the RP servers are worst than the non-RP ones :)

Another golden quote from Talad. Here he's talking to a player who joined PlaneShift's non-RP server, because the player has no interest in roleplay. The player mentioned that the non-RP server is basically empty, this was Talad's response. Speaks volumes.

Moar golden quotes:

[10:25] <@Talad|ZzZ>; we are PlaneShift, we don't fear anyone
    [10:25] <@Talad|ZzZ>; we have changed the life of thousands of people, Xoel included
    [10:25] <@Talad|ZzZ>; we = the team

I'm pretty sure I'm pretty much the same now as I was before I came across PlaneShift. Perhaps a little less naive. Any other change certainly wasn't for the better. Considering before I joined PS two years ago no one had EVER called me a hater ;)