Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just today looked at an eve like game.

HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

It called Perpetuam online and it looks interesting.

Think Mechwarrior on one world and single server based on eve's mechanics with some mechanic changes to give it a different flavour.

its currently open beta with a free 600 meg client so worth me having a look at least.

From what i have seen from screenshots and youtube movies it still needs some work especially the scalling of the Mecha as they seem a bit small and the mecha models and textures are better de eloped than the rather empty land. The customisation however is very good a nd the PvP is i hear different as i hear that pvp is only on some island with terratory controll while the faction islands have no pvp and equivelent of empirspace mineralls [artwork of whick looks a lot like eve'].

However i think i will support this one as it reminds me a LOT of eve back in the day when i first started [as in basic mechanics needing lots of work and basic graphics]. Plus i loved games like Mechwarrior and Heavy Gear [anyone remember that one?]

Anyway in the very least we should support what is a brave attempt to do what eve did and creat a true sandbox on one ser ver with a strong community aproach.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

Comments

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

1) It is called 'Perpetuum'
    2) It only has EVE like UI but that is about all
    3) Open beta strats 18th of October
    4) Calling Perpetuum a sandbox is vastly exaggerated

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Originally posted by Gdemami

IF you say so. No need to get grumpy.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

I am not grumpy, I am just saying, clarifying and correcting a few points.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

I could have sworn I have read a few comments about it somewhere which basically slated it for trying to rip off EVE to an extreme extent.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by bunnyhopper
    I could have sworn I have read a few comments about it somewhere which basically slated it for trying to rip off EVE to an extreme extent.

Yes, the first impression is most likely to be that way but that is first look only due as said very similar UI.

On the second look, the game is completely different.

I can imagine those comment were made by people who never actually played the game, are not very bright or just played the game for very first minutes/hours only.

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

definetly happy and hope that perpetuum makes it through launch and its first year successfully. A new game that isn't your average themepark is a breath of fresh air for this site and genre.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

definetly happy and hope that perpetuum makes it through launch and its first year successfully. A new game that isn't your average themepark is a breath of fresh air for this site and genre.

Exactly EvE was in exactly the same place 7 years ago when it was new and more bugged than your local Tacobell.

Of course it could still fail like EvE was told it would, afterall eve was not like every other mmo like wow and everquest so was often told it would die. Perpetuum is also trying to innovate and i was supprised to see it get bashed so enthusiasticly here where i thought people here would be more supportive of those who tried to be different.

Its true it has in some ways seemed to have coppied eve but is that a bad thing?

And yes right now its more robots than big mecha bujt in the end if it survives long enough this will change as placeholder systems are replaced with better working versions [anyone remember how guns and missiles used to work in eve?].

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

i plan to get 2 accounts on this game, because of the loot pvp, territory control and market

:D

BestSigEver :P

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

Dude, that's Gdemami. He probably hasn't been that positive since he was given a puppy.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

Originally posted by Malcanis

Dude, that's Gdemami. He probably hasn't been that positive since he was given a puppy.

I ate the puppy, sorry.

PS: Was delicious.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Malcanis

I ate the puppy, sorry.

PS: Was delicious.

What a waste. You're supposed to punt it first.

Or is that Gnomes...

I won't even bother looking at this game until it's in a release-ready state.

Originally posted by Comnitus

I find it very solid and stable. Sure there are bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.

What do you find such a problem about the game?

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Originally posted by Comnitus

I find it very solid and stable. Sure there are bugs here and there but nothing game breaking.

What do you find such a problem about the game?

I played a bit and tried to help out by reporting bugs, but honestly I only found one or two. I didn't get into it too much since I think, like many MMOs, the real game is in guild v. guild competition and people were really just testing stuff more than playing.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

I been messing around with it a little this week too.. Pretty fun game but a little rough around the edges.. EvE seems like a stream-lined game compared to Prepetuum(sp?)

But its still very fun :) the territory control seems cool and the fact that the islands outside of the main one is "lawless" reminds me of EvE's nullsec heh.. It is interesting and been fun so far.

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

Originally posted by Hellfyre420

I been messing around with it a little this week too.. Pretty fun game but a little rough around the edges.. EvE seems like a stream-lined game compared to Prepetuum(sp?)

But its still very fun :) the territory control seems cool and the fact that the islands outside of the main one is "lawless" reminds me of EvE's nullsec heh.. It is interesting and been fun so far.

Agreed......so far.

Its not like anyone resonably expected it to be as good as eve from start. Eve took 8 years to get to today afterall and the beggining state of eve would shock many here.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

...Pretty fun game but a little rough around the edges.. EvE seems like a stream-lined game compared to Prepetuum...

...Eve took 8 years to get to today...

...must resist... commenting... rough edges... even after 8 years... [Will save roll: 1]

You set me up. Shame on you!

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638

It actually reminds me of RF Online

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Quirhid

...Pretty fun game but a little rough around the edges.. EvE seems like a stream-lined game compared to Prepetuum...

...Eve took 8 years to get to today...

...must resist... commenting... rough edges... even after 8 years... [Will save roll: 1]

You set me up. Shame on you!

considering how vast and deep eve is as far as different playstyles there are expected to be some rough edges, not to mention how eve is now compared to its release. It's come a long way.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Originally posted by tvalentine

considering how vast and deep eve is as far as different playstyles there are expected to be some rough edges, not to mention how eve is now compared to its release. It's come a long way.

A customer doesn't (and shouldn't) care why there are rough edges. It is good to remember that.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• SpeiberbobSpeiberbob Member Posts: 233

it´s very eve like got some nice advantages over eve whcih encourages more pvp imho.

But then i already play EVE which is AAA so i cannot realy justify to play perpetuum, though is support thier endevor

and wish em all best.

But i cannot imagin how a 10 man indi studio can work fast enougth to keep the people entertained for long enough

when theyre competing with a game like EVE.

AC2,AO,D&L,Lotro,VsoH,SWG,Uo,HGL,Drunners,CoH,GW,Potbs,PWI
    Eq2,Dofus,WoW,WWIIO,Ryzom,Planetside,EvE,TR,DDO,RFonline,FOM,VC,..etc blabla
    also hobbies....staring at loadingbars

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Im sure they'll increase their man power if the number of subscribers deems necessary.

Im liking Perpetuum a bit better than EVE,its a little more interactive imo.

Originally posted by Speiberbob

But i cannot imagin how a 10 man indi studio can work fast enougth to keep the people entertained for long enough

when theyre competing with a game like EVE.

I have to point out that in the beginning EvE had 10 people too. And they were competing with some other pretty popular games too such as Everquest and UO there was even a space based MMO to compete with.