Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for space 'sim'

GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I have unsuccessfully tried to look for a game that is open as X3 and has combat system like Nexus: The Jupiter Incident(no twitch control).

Anyone know if there is a such game out there? Or just something with no twitch controls.

Comments

• WW4BWWW4BW Member UncommonPosts: 501

Without twitch controls there is EVE and only eve.

With twitch controls there are no SpaceMMOs.

There are some other single player games, but they are all atleast a few years old. But here is hoping that the theme comes around again in a few years.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Space gaming genre is unfortunately not the "in thing" with developers for years now.  The best we can usually do are the older games.  Even the related space flight combat games like Freespace 1 & 2, the X-Wing series belong to an essentially dead genre.

I too hope things change.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• Logos1326Logos1326 Member UncommonPosts: 240

Eve is the only choice right now. For some reason no one has done a decent space mmo.

• BTrayaLBTrayaL Member UncommonPosts: 624

I'd also like to see a space sim, but with twitch controls.

What could be cooler than dog-fighting in 0-G?

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993

I don't think the OP is looking for an MMO, just a Space Sim in general.

Nexus had unique a control style, and the only game I know of that comes close to it EVE.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

I am not looking for MMO exclusively, it would be a plus though.

I played EVE for years and while the mechanics are deep and good looking on paper, it does not work that well in real and implementation, imo.

Nexus had the closest combat system I am looking for - the sluggish and slow paced combat
    with emphasis on your fitting.

Can some even fantasy game offer the same?

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

While I see you're asking for a space sim I would advice to look perhaps into a Space RTS, to me Sins of a Solar is one of the best Space RTS games I have played (which obviously is my personal opinion. It's pretty deep and nothing like the arcade RTS games like Warcraft, Starcraft or Command and Conquer series, while they offer quick fun, SoaS offers allot more depth to it's genre.

Well, unless I missed some game on the wiki link or it isn't there, it seems like I am left with X3 TC :-(

Thanks all for your suggestions.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Yeah, X3 is the real deal. :) Beautiful game if one has the patience. I would love to see an MMO version of it.

Though, if you're looking for MMOs, you're out of luck. We have no good space sim MMOs apart from EVE. EVE is very good if you take it on its own terms, but to me, it's still a clicker which I see you prefer - admittedly that never felt like space flight to me.

EDIT: Maybe I should still mention Vendetta Online, it has good combat in my opinion, but it's really not similar to X3, it actually *is* very twitchy, which you don't want, and the population was rather thin last time I checked: http://www.vendetta-online.com/

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by Gdemami

Well, unless I missed some game on the wiki link or it isn't there, it seems like I am left with X3 TC :-(

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Yeah, I try making similar searches from time to time.  I really miss the space flight combat simulator games, but the entire genre is dead.  I'm not sure if Jumpgate Evolution will stay very true to the space flight combat simulator genre, but it is among the few headed that way.  I tried EVE for a while (and I would recommend that you give it a go in case you enjoy it), but it really wasn't the same for me.

• RdlabanRdlaban Member UncommonPosts: 396

Star Wars Galaxies has a space sim attached to it. Might try that one out,

From the oldies; Freelancer. Might be some good servers up for some MP action too:)

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

There is always Black Prophecy, but after watching a friend try the beta, it seems a bit lackluster to me...and HEAVILY instanced.

I did play EVE Online for about 4 years and did most of the things you can do in the game.

It has got pretty much all I am looking for but I think I am burned out or something thus I wanted to try something else even a single player game.

The problem is, even single player games, has this twitch control which I cannot stand. Am I the only one who feel how stupid it is?

You posses such advanced technology allowing interstellar travel, artificial gravity, manipulating energy fields at what not but yet, the combat is like WW1 biplane dogfight?

Not to mention the aerodynamic design of the vessels...

It is irritating me :)

• unbound55unbound55 Member UncommonPosts: 325

Originally posted by Gdemami

I did play EVE Online for about 4 years and did most of the things you can do in the game.

It has got pretty much all I am looking for but I think I am burned out or something thus I wanted to try something else even a single player game.

The problem is, even single player games, has this twitch control which I cannot stand. Am I the only one who feel how stupid it is?

You posses such advanced technology allowing interstellar travel, artificial gravity, manipulating energy fields at what not but yet, the combat is like WW1 biplane dogfight?

Not to mention the aerodynamic design of the vessels...

It is irritating me :)

Actually, if we get to that level of advanced technology, ship to ship fighting will not involve you at all (probably in line with the fights found in Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy).  :-)

I don't mind the twitch-based combat of the flight simulator games since maneuvering your ship to attack is a step up from the standard ground combat based FPS.  But that genre is dead at this point anyways... 

Originally posted by unbound55

Actually, if we get to that level of advanced technology, ship to ship fighting will not involve you at all (probably in line with the fights found in Peter F. Hamilton's Night's Dawn Trilogy).  :-)

Hehe, probably. Since it is a game only though, it is needed to balance 'realism' and fun.

Twitch controls put balance out of whack, imo. It is too 'dumb'.

I will always prefer Space Odyssey movies over Starship Troopers.

I guess it is a just a personal preference.