Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE, oh EVE...

VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

It's weird how I always forget about EVE when I feel like playing a MMORPG. After I've gone through all the possible candidates, I suddenly remember that EVE exists! I guess EVE's such unique experience, that I don't put it under the category of MMORPG, as almost all others suck big time. It's also very annoying and boring game. I haven't played any MMORPG in about a year, apart from just testing FFXI, which I might play every now and then. I'm very happy about not being obsessed about these games anymore, don't play for many hours straight anymore, I've got past that. It has created new kind of problem though, I don't usually feel motivated to play any kind MMORPG or RPG anymore, but that's just good thing really.

EVE... Even the login screen and options menu, why they can be so smoothly and nerd sense tinglingly designed. The music is perfect. Every audiovisual detail about this game is a pleasure. The fitting bay, ah, design ships for certain purposes, optimization freak's dream. There's even that in-game calculator.

I've played a lot of space 4X games and space flight simulations lately, I've really grown fond of space theme, and after the long break I'm sort of feeling like playing a MMORPG. I've played EVE only about half an year before. It turned into just updating skill queue. Feels quite frustrating now, that I could have been skilling up for over a year and be actually useful and not needing to worry about skills that much. This 'what if' thinking gets nowhere though and is quite stupid. What also is quite frustrating, is that I "need" to use those +4/5 learning implants, so I can't take risks really, and I quite like taking risks. Just not that big, pointless risks. I also, of course, don't like a lot of the repetitive, boring stuff EVE has to offer, which is my main gripe. But despite all those things, EVE's such a wonderful game. If nothing else, I'll just play around with the menus and look how polished and simplistic they are. Why EVE has to be so perfect and so flawed at the same time? I rate it the best and worst game ever made. Never has boring crap been this intelligently and smoothly designed.

Well, this it just well disguised 'should I come back?' thread, I could have gone straight to the point. It wouldn't be like coming back really, more like a new beginning, as I'm still quite a noob at the game, at least skillpoint-wise (ugh!). I guess I would have a nice base to start from, though.

Comments

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You have fallen in to the classic trap of confusing character advancement as a means to an end with character advancement as the end in itself.

Use Estel Arrador's jump clone service to create some jump clones (2 or 3 is fine, it will only take a few hours to skill Infomorph psychology 3). In those clones you can put a +3 perc/+2 will pair of implants in one, +3 int/+2mem in the other. Jump in to those clones at the weekend (choose whichever one matches what you're training at the time) and enjoy some fun, risky gameplay which will only "cost" you a couple of thousand SP total. If you get podded, you'll lose about 15-18M ISK of implants instead of about 100M.

Because those SP do you no good whatsoever if you never use them. Likewise the ISK. You dont "win EVE" by having perfect skills trained up, you "win" it by going out and doing stuff. Skills are extremely useful, of course, but they're just one tool in the kit you'll need to assemble: Skills, ISK, Assets, Experience, Game Knowledge, Associations. You will need all of these, and to get them you'll have to undock. Skills are great and all, but they can only carry you so far.

And really as long as you stay out of 0.0, the risk of getting podded is very low anyway. As soon as you realise you're going to die, select a celestial on your overiew (I usually pick a random planet) and keep spamming the warp button. As soon as your ship explodes, your pod will instawarp.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• jrs77jrs77 Member Posts: 419

With the automatic character-progression EvE is actually a very nice game to play it casually.

I'm subscribed to EvE for 5 years, but I've played lot's of other games inbetween lately, and just switched skills in EvE now and then.
    With the addition of PLEX and secure GTC for ISK options I'm running a LvL 4 mission per evening and pay the subscription with ISK for some 2 years now.

• Hellfyre420Hellfyre420 Member Posts: 861

Originally posted by jrs77

With the automatic character-progression EvE is actually a very nice game to play it casually.

I'm subscribed to EvE for 5 years, but I've played lot's of other games inbetween lately, and just switched skills in EvE now and then.

With the addition of PLEX and secure GTC for ISK options I'm running a LvL 4 mission per evening and pay the subscription with ISK for some 2 years now.

Yeah when i first started playing EvE i played it like 7-8hours a day constantly doing low sec ops with 50+ people in my corp.. Eventually things slowed down and we got war dec'd by mercs in RIDICILUSLY fitted T2 BS's.. Long story short i was forced into sitting in a station and was cut off from my 8hour a day gameplay for a few days until i jus found a new MMO to go play and forgot about EvE..

I've came back this month only to find that my corp has lost most of its players and is again war dec'd by expensive mercs.. My first day back was spent trying to sneak out of my station to run missions to insure my ships again.. After loseing one of my bc's i jus left my corp and am back in a NPC corp.. But you know what?? I'am haveing a BLAST! Why? Because i'am only playing EvE like 2-3 hours a day.. I'll log in and run some missions with friends, que up skills, then log out.. And now each time i log in it's fun and something different..

EvE truley is a great casual game :) I think once i get enough SP and fitted ships ill go join a nulsec corp and let the true fun begin.. Ofcourse then i'd prolly start playing 5-8hrs daily again LOL

Currently Playing:
    Rift + Starcraft II + Gears Of War 3 Beta

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

Hey thanks a lot for the replies, I installed the game and played a bit yesterday and today. Jump clones I completely forgot about.

I decided now though, that I gotta uninstall this game right away. There's something that draws me to the game, probably the challenge and the world that doesn't hold my hand as well as freedom. But there's too much stuff I don't enjoy, and the main fun things about the game are socializing and adrenaline rushes from PvP, which aren't enough of a reason for me to play. The year without a MMORPG has made me realize I really don't want to play one again, I can't enjoy them for reason or another. I guess I've become too busy with real-life matters to play a game like EVE, I have zero ambition, motivation to become something or advance in one way or another within a virtual game world, and that's what these games are about, especially this one.

• VaenVaen Member Posts: 140

Who am I kidding, I installed the game again and am having fun. I guess I'm going to see what RvB is all about and join a corporation, that doesn't take itself too seriously, later on. EVE's really only MMORPG I can enjoy, others are just... inferior. Gotta just accept that.

• JimmacJimmac Member UncommonPosts: 1,660

Originally posted by Vaen

Who am I lying, I installed the game again and am having fun. I guess I'm going to see what RvB is all about and join a corporation, that doesn't take itself too seriously, later on. EVE's really only MMORPG I can enjoy, others are just... inferior. Gotta just accept that.

Concerning RvB, I was in it a couple of times and it's great for finding quick and dirty pvp fights. However, I also noticed that it didn't feel like I was part of a corporation in the traditional sense. What I mean is that in Red or Blue, whichever you join, they don't exactly put effort forth to build a corp community and friendships and what not. RvB is almost exclusively about impersonal pvp fights. The corps don't promote intra corp community. The two corporations are really just used as a mechanism to flag people for pvp. The two corporations are *not* used for the traditional use of a corporation which is to make corp friends and to come together to do a variety of activities as a team. 

If you can eventually find a great corporation to join with great people playing in it, you will probably find yourself logging into the game just to play with them, regardless of the activity you guys actually do in the game. You won't find that comradery in RvB. RvB isn't designed to be that way. 

EDITED for clarity. 

EDITED also to state that I have nothing against RvB at all. I was in it for a while and greatly enjoyed my time there. All I'm saying is that I think it's a good idea for new players to join a regular corporation instead of RvB, unless that new player is strictly looking for quick and easy pvp action and the new player is also willing to forego the traditional benefits of being in a corporation.