Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any titles similar to....?

ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

I'm not sure if anyone remembers this game or not, but it still sits in my memory as one of my favorite single-player RPGs (right up there with the original Fallouts).  My favorite things were:

• Party Building - You created the characters that joined your party, or chose a template for them to start from.  There were loads of things to customize about them, from stats to a massive number of abilities.  You could equip each of them individually as well.

• D&D Ruleset - I've never been greatly familiar with D&D rules, however I'm sure this is largely where the overall setup of the game came from with regards to spells and abilities, as well as the turn-based combat and obviously the rolls against your damage, stats, and how you could make up your party.

• Turn-Based Combat - Yeah, it's a bit antiquated, but for some reason I loved this part of both Fallout and this game.  Something just felt more strategic about your moves.  It's just a different skillset than real-time or shooter combat, and I haven't had a fresh turn-based game in ages.

• Dungeon Crawling - I loved this aspect of the game.  Obviously there was looting to equip your party, and though I never really got into Diablo/Diablo 2 (was busy with other games during their days), from what I've seen I suppose this game was similar to them with that regard.

• Story - Last, but not least, story!  While specifics obviously escape me after all these years, I remember being quite immersed in this game and its story.

In all, I don't care how recent or how old the game is, I'd just love to find a game that somewhat fits the criteria listed above.  I know there's bound to be someone else out there who remembers this game and could give me an idea, and even if you never knew of it, maybe my list will be a sufficient guide (the picture links to the game's wiki for more info)?  Anyway, thanks for any suggestions.  image

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
Oscar Wilde

Comments

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by skeaser

I'm almost emberassed to admit I never really tried NWN (beyond maybe a demo, if that), as popular as they all are.  Honestly, I've involved myself in so many MMO's through the years I think I missed quite a few quality games out there, so I'll be looking into these three, for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Originally posted by Shiymmas

Originally posted by skeaser

I'm almost emberassed to admit I never really tried NWN (beyond maybe a demo, if that), as popular as they all are.  Honestly, I've involved myself in so many MMO's through the years I think I missed quite a few quality games out there, so I'll be looking into these three, for sure.  Thanks for the suggestion.

No problem. They aren't exactly turned based but you can pause at any time and issue commands to the party members.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870

Apart from the suggestions above here are a couple more:

• Arcanum

• Drakensang

• Dragon Age
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

One to think about is from the mid nineties called Jagged Alliance 2. But. It is not fantasy based or DnD based and there are no dungeons. What it is, is a top-down isometric turn-based squad combat game using modern-day weapons and armor located in a fictional small island dictatorship.

You control all actions of each member. Squad members are mercenaries you hire. Each merc has their own personality, capabilities and prices. Some can't stand each other which affects their morale and they may refuse to renew their contract because of that. They advance their stats and capabilites through use. Line of sight for each merc is important. If they can't see it, they can't hit/shoot it.

There is a basic story but it is not a major factor in the game other than the end goal. If you want a reliable source for equipment you have to take over and keep control of the city of Drassen. Everything else is up to you.

There is also a small but active Mod community. For more information on that, visit The Bear's Pit   A search for Jagged Alliance 2 will give you others.

Also JA 2 is in process of getting a remake of the game to be released sometime in 2011. There are also plans for a browser based online version. The official site for that is here.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams