Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Even after, what, 4-5 yrears? I still want my Pre-Cu..

13»

Comments

• project8sixproject8six Member Posts: 271

SOE did these interviews about SWG, asking people what they would change after playing the game after 1 hour. The requirement to be in this test was that you had played WoW before.

I was in one of these tests. The things people complained about was that there was no jumping, and it didn't hold your hand enough for you to know what to do.

They saw the sucsess of WoW and wanted to emulate it and failed like every one else.

Sad thing was they already had a really fun game.

die. <3

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

Originally posted by Zinzan

Im amazed no-one has picked this up as it's right on the money.
    EVERYONE bawls about the combat upgrade, but the discovery of how to unlock Jedi was what decimated SWG. SWG was screwed well before the CU.
    Cantinas went from thriving, bustling fun-filled social outlets to AFK grind zones. Cantinas were the real heart and soul of SWG, the AFK grind decimated this.
    Suddenly almost everyone was grinding careers for no other reason than to get that visit from the annoying old bastard.
    The other misnoma is that it was a player/group of players who discovered this *BZZZ* wrong, it was leaked by an SOE admin to his buddies on one of the US servers, eventually the knowledge spread then some numpty coughed it onto the main forums claiming he discovered it.
    I honestly think many people who cry about the CU never even played SWG, just jumping on the whine bandwagon for sh*ts and giggles.
    Pre-CU? No thanks. Pre-Jedi grind? Yes please!

your phrasing in the last paragraph is arguing opinions. The game is still live, its not dead. So what "killed" the game is basically asking an opinion of what made the game not fun for you. Some players actually played precu and through the hologrind, the CU, the NGE, and are still having fun playing.

so if you want to know what killed it for each person, then its opinion. If you want to know what started the decline of the population (what you started arguing), then you're probably correct regarding the hologrind madness since raph koster himself has concurred.

• jandrsnjandrsn Member Posts: 187

I like this comment about Michael Jackson.  Holds up well.  Both were awesome and had rabid fans, losing most of them due to some behaviors shown by MJ/SWG; but still even after hopes were shattered, and people had tried to move on, we talk with respect about something awesome in our past. And that feeling probably can never be had again.  Like your first car, first real gf/bf, or first apartment, and it was all so fresh and new, it's hard to be as excited nowadays since we're more experienced in life.

If they offered PRE-CU SWG now, I'd know how to grind out a template, where to farm premium weapon components, etc...   I'd have a ton of fun, but it'd never be as good as the first time.

• BushMonkeyBushMonkey Member Posts: 1,406

I miss the part of playing your toon PreCU  and it was like it was part of yourself, like you were alive in your toon. An extension/alter ego.

All other MMO's are nothing but just a bunch of pixels. With no reason to be or play.

• tman5tman5 Member Posts: 604

I MISS THIS GAME!!!

(that is all)

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

man i still havent found a replacement game since i lost SGW:pre-CU. Ive tried them all. Every damn game that has come out except for 1 or 2 obvious flops ( and even some of them tabula rasa anyone).

I miss living in my toen being a MAS hiring guilders to guard me planting my harvesters ... experimenting for that perfect combination. The entire city was alive and well ... I have not once seen a community even come close to this on any other game.

Id pay for pre cu again , in a second.

I still have all 3 of my original SWG boxes and CD's...

Never i my life would i have thought id be actually asking for a 5 year dead product to allow me to spend 45$ a month on it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I enjoyed pre cu SWG too but I would think myself a pathetic love sick puppy to be whining away about something that was so "marginal" at best, it's not like we are talking about the first video game or mmorpg here we are talking about what most of us can agree was a middle of the road product at best.  "But I loved it still", yes and I loved the first girl to "give it to me good" but I would think something seriously wrong with myself (as would she) if I was still chasing her five years later......

And to those who continue to insist that the "ways of the SWG" vet doesn't have an influence on the hate that TOR get's I would hope they peruse this article a bit before deciding that argument is without merit.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• NelothNeloth Member Posts: 249

There's nothing but a skeleton left on this horse.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by BushMonkey

I miss the part of playing your toon PreCU  and it was like it was part of yourself, like you were alive in your toon. An extension/alter ego.

All other MMO's are nothing but just a bunch of pixels. With no reason to be or play.

I also felt like my toon was apart of me, like my alter ego.  I used to even have dreams that I was in the game and I was my character.   

I can still enjoy other games from time to time, but they don't feel as real to me.

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

I don't know any other game that makes people yearn to play it again like SWG does.  I miss those days very much.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

The Nostalgia is strong with this one.

But, I can't blame you guys. Your favorite game was stolen by stupidity, never to be resurrected again. Ever. Never ever. My favorite "old" game, DAoC, is still alive and kicking, at least.

/Mourn, /mourn, my friends.

• StoogeMonkeyStoogeMonkey Member Posts: 185

I dont get it all they changed is the combat system right? you guys can still do your roleplaying and crafting and whatever, i'm obviously missing something :/

• sentry13sentry13 Member Posts: 115

Originally posted by StoogeMonkey

I dont get it all they changed is the combat system right? you guys can still do your roleplaying and crafting and whatever, i'm obviously missing something :/

Yeah, there's a lot more to it than that, no skill point system, addition of classes, destroyed the AI in the game, destroyed the community, destroyed crafting, made almost everything you had crafted/looted/worked for useless overnight etc. etc...

• stinneystinney Member Posts: 35

Oh boy are you missing a LOT!

Its more like once having a Ferrari and taking it in for a service and when you get it back, it has a ford focus engine, a F150 suspension and a Skoda Fabia interior.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by stinney

Its more like once having a Ferrari and taking it in for a service and when you get it back, it has a ford focus engine, a F150 suspension and a Skoda Fabia interior.

True enough, if people really could do the things they did before then he would have been right, but.. as anyone who played before the fall knows... well, to list the things no longer in the game would take quite a bit of time.. and its been covered so many times now, it shouldnt need repeating.. though i will say one thing.. i really miss my Ranger image and anyone who enjoys exploration will probably understand what i mean...  empty medical centers and cantina's, and all those ghost 'cities' are surely testament that the things that are no longer there were important.. image

• lightwindlightwind Member Posts: 19

Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by stinney

True enough, if people really could do the things they did before then he would have been right, but.. as anyone who played before the fall knows... well, to list the things no longer in the game would take quite a bit of time.. and its been covered so many times now, it shouldnt need repeating.. though i will say one thing.. i really miss my Ranger image and anyone who enjoys exploration will probably understand what i mean...  empty medical centers and cantina's, and all those ghost 'cities' are surely testament that the things that are no longer there were important.. image

same here. games come and go but i dont see this industry being able to make another game with this depth.

• TookyGTookyG Warhammer Online CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,115

From South Park:

Stan (SWG non-Vet): I get it. I don't get it.

Token (SWG Vet): Now you get it, Stan.

Until you cancel your subscription, you are only helping to continue the cycle of mediocrity.