Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of starting DAoC free trial and Scout?

TortimerTortimer Member UncommonPosts: 113
I was watching the DAoC movie and it should 3 different classes for each realm.  One was a Scout which seemed like the class I would like the most.  I usually played ranged characters: WoW Hunter lvl 60, EQOA Ranger lvl 52 etc.  I have looked on the forum but nobody talks about Scouts.  So, I'm a little worried the class isn't any good.  I really think I will like DAoC and plan on continueing after the 14 day free trial.  Especially if the Scout class is and good.

Comments

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292

I played on Coop for almost 2 years as a hunter. The class is fun don't get me wrong here but the archer class is nerfed to the extent they can not survive well. My scout did not fair well in any combat where my hunter survived better but lost more encounters than I would have liked. After level 50 she became mostly a raid support for keeps which were really fun. Even con mobs will give you a run for your money here and forget taking on many (there are caster mobs) above your level. I left the game about 2 months ago but from all the other MMOs out there DAoC probably is the best for archer class. In fact I may return if I can not find a better class in another MMO.

I have tried out EQ, EQ2, AC2 and L2.

If NCSoft would fix the dang griefers and gankers you would find a real bow class that can take down even con mobs in one shot. image for righ now I don't recommend it as a game to play because I was ganked 6 times on my first day.

D

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528

Originally posted by Tortimer
    I was watching the DAoC movie and it should 3 different classes for each realm.  One was a Scout which seemed like the class I would like the most.  I usually played ranged characters: WoW Hunter lvl 60, EQOA Ranger lvl 52 etc.  I have looked on the forum but nobody talks about Scouts.  So, I'm a little worried the class isn't any good.  I really think I will like DAoC and plan on continueing after the 14 day free trial.  Especially if the Scout class is and good.

You would probably like the Ranger just as much if not better than the Scout.  It is the archer for Hibernia.  So I would suggest that.  We don't need any more Albs on any server ;)
  • n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

If you like archers, here is how they break down.

Scout: Best archer. They have the best range and hit hard. They have a shield which is good for blocking shots from other archers, melee attacks, and for stunning. They only have one handed melee, and no self spells or buffs. They make great snipers, but that is about it. Of the archers, they have the best archery (barely) and the worst melee (by quite a bit)

Hunter: They have the shortest range, and faster bows (less damage per shot). They can spec in two handed weapons (sword or spear), have pretty good melee, some self buffs, and can either summon or charm a pet (charming is mostly useless). Of the three archers, they have the worst archery, and the second best melee (depending on how you spec).

Ranger: They have the best melee (depending on spec), and the second best archery. They have a slightly shorter range than scouts, but their bows are comperable so they hit about as hard. They have self buffs which include a damage add. They can dual wield weapons which makes them pretty solid in hand to hand combat. Many even take them all out in melee and just use the bow for pulling or bothering the enemy. They can also be specced as a sniper, and be nearly as good as the scout. Of the archers, they can be a close second in archery, and the best in melee.

All three have stealth and the same basic bow skills. Scouts have bow, stealth, weapon, and shield. Hunters have bow, stealth, weapon, and magic. Rangers have bow, stealth, weapon, magic, and celtic dual. With the same points, it makes rangers slightly harder to spec out, but they are still the overall best archer class.

image image

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

I think scout is a fine way to. Scouts have better range in im my opion they hit a little hard. They don't have dual weild like n2sooner says but they have a sheild wich can be used to block arrows when you hit the engage button. So if you get in a stand off with a ranger or hunter you can pull back and catch his arrow on your sheild if it turns out that you are loosinbg the dual. A ranger in contrast can hit the speed button and run away.

I had a blast playing both the scout and the ranger. When I played the hunter it was a little harder to PvE with the pet. When you shoot first and then sick your pet on it the pet wnot usually take the agro. when you sick the pet and then shoot the pet might hold the aggro for a while but then loose it pretty fast. Plus you have to worry about getting adds.

PvP the hunter wasn't as much fun because the pet is there if you use it and kinda makes it known that you are there. Although quite a few people have learned how to turn the pet deal to there advantage and use it in creative ways. I just didn't get that good at it.

Everyone bad moths albs on these baords but imo theres nothing wrong wiht playing an alb. They will say that alb realms have too many people and they feel like their outnumbered. In some cases thats true but mostly one ralm or the other it over or under populated ant any given time.

have a blast either way. 14 day may not be long enough to get a good feel for it. Also make sure you are updating your weapons and armor often or it coould get frustrating. I would also try to fletch to to make your own arrows it will save some money, but not time.

• EchaniEchani Member Posts: 72
    I think all three ralms have their advantages as far as their archer classes are concerned.  I'm mainly a Mid player so I tend to have more to say about Mid classes.  As has been mentioned earlier in this thread the hunter has a pet which I have found to be very interesting.  I like setting my pet to wait somewhere, flanking the enemy, shooting, sic'ing the pet on the target, and watching them run toward my pet looking for me.  It has worked for me well in Molvik (Level 35-39 Battleground) but I fear this ploy may find me lacking in "real" RvR.  Scouts get to spec in shield making them excellent defensively and Rangers have the longest range.  I'd love to have the range and power of the ranger class in Midgard but all three archers have their own respective strengths.  I'd say research all three before you pick a class/realm.  An excellent site for making your own characters is www.catacombs.com there are character generators and forums discussing each of the classes in the game.  Keep in mind that whereas each realm has the same basic classes and types, each differ and offer different play.

Does your guild have a website yet? Find out how easy it is to get one.

• TortimerTortimer Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I ended up buying DAoC Plantinum and Catacombs.  I got them at EBgames for $9.99 for Plantinum and $19.99 for Catacombs.  I thought that was a pretty good deal.  It gives me 30 days free and will give me more time to see if I'm going to like playing DAoC. I'm pretty sure I will like it from what I have read and seen but you never know.  I plan on installing it later tonight and giving it a try.  Thanks for all the posts.  I  now think I might start a Ranger first.  If I don't like it will then try a Hunter and finally a Scout.  It really sounds like I would like all of them though. 
  • demcdemc Member Posts: 292

Originally posted by Tortimer
    I ended up buying DAoC Plantinum and Catacombs.  I got them at EBgames for $9.99 for Plantinum and $19.99 for Catacombs.  I thought that was a pretty good deal.  It gives me 30 days free and will give me more time to see if I'm going to like playing DAoC. I'm pretty sure I will like it from what I have read and seen but you never know.  I plan on installing it later tonight and giving it a try.  Thanks for all the posts.  I  now think I might start a Ranger first.  If I don't like it will then try a Hunter and finally a Scout.  It really sounds like I would like all of them though. 

Good Luck to you and enjoy the game. It has a lot of fun content. Look a the hearld first.

D

• TortimerTortimer Member UncommonPosts: 113
    I created a ranger and started playing last night.  I'm only level 4 but DAoC seems ok so far.  I have been playing WoW the last 4 months and it is a little hard to get use to the interface on DAoC.  WoW walks you through everything with out even worrying about how to do something.  I have a ton of questions but there isn't anybody on the lower levels that I can find.  I picked Tristan server not sure if I made the right choice or not.  I see on the boards that it should get be better once I get to level 20. 
  • lewllewl Member Posts: 86

Try talking to people on the TRistan baords:

http://vnboards.ign.com/Tristan/b20878/