Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXI Players Only!

I'm watching a Gamestop video review of FFXIV and it seems like a lot of the things that this guy hates are things that were normal in FFXI.

For example, In FFXI, we had to go through the menu to get to the inventory. Also, there weren't labels over every vendor indicating that they sell things. And for a long time in FFXI there wasn't a great tutorial system.

Honestly I haven't played the game. I am just curios to know if FFXI players are busy enjoying the game, and not defending it, or do FFXI players share the same negative sentiments that others (most) here have.

Comments

• MeliezaMelieza Member Posts: 269

I feel the same way, most of the complaints ARE things that were the same from FFXI.  The arguement is, FFXI was a 2003 game, they should have looked at more current games and not brought a 2003 GUI and whatnot into it.

Regardless, you are correct...someone who has played and enjoyed FFXI has a much bigger chance of enjoying the game and falling into the routine of things quicker.  Its not always the case though, there are a still a good number who enjoyed FFXI and don't like FFXIV.

As always, you'll have to make your own opinion after trying it out.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

I've noticed quite a few FF11 players saying they dislike the game, can't recall any that said they do like it though I'm sure there are some out there.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Zookz1Zookz1 Member Posts: 629

I played XI for over four years, and I never thought I'd say this, but I found the interface in XI more usable than the one in XIV. There were keyboard shortcuts in XI for inventory, ctrl+I, and equipment ctrl+e etc. To equip an item in XIV you open the main menu, navigate to gear and attributes, click on the item slot you want to equip something in, navigate to the item in your inventory, select it, confirm that you selected it, then confirm that you want to equip it. All of this, and there is terrible input lag for all of the menus. It's ridiculous. This applies ad nauseum to pretty much anything you have to do involving the UI.

Besides that, there is no point in comparing a game that was developed a decade ago to a modern MMO like FFXIV. Things have changed and evolved for the better. Especially in terms of things like UI design and usability. People find it unacceptable after a decade of improvements, and I honestly can't blame them.

I know how much I loved XI, therefore, like a nostalgic dumbass, I continue to play hoping that I will find the same thing in XIV. Even being an SE/FF fanboi, I simply can't defend XIV because it is in terrible shape right now.

• nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I've noticed quite a few FF11 players saying they dislike the game, can't recall any that said they do like it though I'm sure there are some out there.

I played FFXI and I am enjoying FFXIV.

FFXIV is still a long shot from FFXI, and I may just wait to renew my FFXIV sub until they fix some problems / add some content.  FFXI (Final Fantasy 11 for those who can't read Roman Numerals) is like the holy grail of existing MMO's to me, right behind pre-Luclin EQ.

Edit:  Added some underline / bold text so that people do not misinterpret my post.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by DocEllis611

I'm watching a Gamestop video review of FFXIV and it seems like a lot of the things that this guy hates are things that were normal in FFXI.

For example, In FFXI, we had to go through the menu to get to the inventory. Also, there weren't labels over every vendor indicating that they sell things. And for a long time in FFXI there wasn't a great tutorial system.

Honestly I haven't played the game. I am just curios to know if FFXI players are busy enjoying the game, and not defending it, or do FFXI players share the same negative sentiments that others (most) here have.

I'd tend to disagree.  I did start out in San d'Oria, but Bastok was just as simple a layout for the most part; Windhurst not so much.  Still, you could run along the main street and tab-target around and land on the sign of the armor store (which bore an emblem making its store's contents rather obvious), weapon store (same as armor store), etc..  More importantly, however, was that at NA release, there was already an auction house.  In spite of never having heard of such a thing in previous game experiences, I found out very quickly that it was the far better option for most things I'd need to purchase, right down to onion weapons being much cheaper than the vendor would sell.

As for the inventory and whatnot, from my beta experience with XIV, the menus were just much more convoluted and less intuitive than XI's even.  I say that without having played FFXI seriously for many years, but having recently revisited it with a trial.  Something about the entire interface just felt "off" in a way that's difficult to pin down.  I would like to hear more opinions on that end of it, though.  One thing that I know was missing was the ability to tap right to skip to the bottom of a list.  Such a simple function, but so useful.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Originally posted by Melieza

I feel the same way, most of the complaints ARE things that were the same from FFXI.  The arguement is, FFXI was a 2003 game, they should have looked at more current games and not brought a 2003 GUI and whatnot into it.

/signed

After all these years, FFXIV should be better all around, mechanically. A whole different UI approach, skills that I can literally drag and drop into my quickbars, when i click it, it pops up, no waiting. If I am getting my ass kicked, i can run away without my stupid toon coming to a dead stop t put their weapon away (and the UI lag associated with making that selection). I'm sorry, but there is no real excuse to have th4e same UI system as 7 year old game when so many contemporaries do it far better.

I fear the reason why they didn't change it is because they only really care about the Console gamer...who doesn't really have any other alternative as far as AAA MMORPG's. I loved FFXI, but after 7 years, I expect more...particularly given the alternatives out there.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Originally posted by spankybus

Originally posted by Melieza

/signed

After all these years, FFXIV should be better all around, mechanically. A whole different UI approach, skills that I can literally drag and drop into my quickbars, when i click it, it pops up, no waiting. If I am getting my ass kicked, i can run away without my stupid toon coming to a dead stop t put their weapon away (and the UI lag associated with making that selection). I'm sorry, but there is no real excuse to have th4e same UI system as 7 year old game when so many contemporaries do it far better.

I fear the reason why they didn't change it is because they only really care about the Console gamer...who doesn't really have any other alternative as far as AAA MMORPG's. I loved FFXI, but after 7 years, I expect more...particularly given the alternatives out there.

What I was alluding to in my post is that they brought back FFXI's UI, and somehow made it less intuitive.  I would've been happy with an updated FFXI interface.  Instead, they managed to fail at even bringing that over.  And yeah, there's no real law saying that the PC version and PS3 version can't have different UI setups, is there?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• BurnthebedBurnthebed Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by nickster29

Originally posted by jaxsundane

I played FFXI and I am enjoying FFXIV.

FFXIV is still a long shot from FFXI, and I may just wait to renew my FFXIV sub until they fix some problems / add some content.  FFXI (Final Fantasy 11 for those who can't read Roman Numerals) is like the holy grail of existing MMO's to me, right behind pre-Luclin EQ.

Edit:  Added some underline / bold text so that people do not misinterpret my post.

^ ^

Refreshing to see someone with an opinion that is so neutral. I disagree (with your tastes not your point), but I totally respect the way you put that.

I honestly disliked FFXI from the start, but I stuck it out for like 2 months and got into my 20's. I finally quit when I realized I was still fighting the same bunnies I was killing at lvl 1 at lvl 20+ just with different names/colors. That's just me though you know? It wasn't to my tastes, but back then I was like 20 years old and felt like the world needed to agree with me so I spouted off and got put into in game jail hahaha. True story.

XIV is actually the same for me I think, I beta'd and saw that I'd most likely be grinding the same tiny fluffy mobs for the entire game, and it just hit me that, again, this just wasn't to my tastes.

I honestly hope they fix this game up, and make it into something more accessible to the masses in time to grab the population before it drops too too much (not that I think the game will ever die, just maybe have to consolidate servers and such) and maybe then I'll pop in and see if they've started to turn the game towards what I like.

If not, then hey I'll chalk it up to a loss.

Oh, and PS. Pre-Luclin EQ FOR THE EFFING WIN! Could never play it now due to real life restrictions and such, but it was my jam back in the day.

The sleeper awakes...and rides his dirtbike to the mall.

• snippy64snippy64 Member UncommonPosts: 32

The User Interface is designed to be accessible on a console using a controller. The game is designed to be run on a PC or a console, and they obviously want the User Experience to be exactly the same on both platforms.

I don't see why people find this confusing.

Yes, shortcuts would be really nice for keyboard users, and while I'm pretty sure that would be 'easy' to add, whether I think it's easy or not doesn't mean squat until they finally do it.

I played FFXI for 7 months, was my first real MMO. Had a 61PLD on Carbuncle, absolutely loved the community (except waiting for group every night *shakes fist at NIN tanks*).

I don't consider the menu approach a 'dated UI'. My XBMC HTPC still uses it and I get around just fine.

The other thing I remember fondly from FFXI was their blind bid auction system compared to the economy trasher that was the WoW AH, though it was obviously easier in a game with a limited, non dynamic set of items. I can think of several large MMO titles that got by without an auction house, Lineage 2 for example, though I'm not really a fan of having to leave my game client running in 'stall' mode just to sell items.

• swampthing11swampthing11 Member Posts: 62

Wouldn't you say that if the same complaints about a game that was released in 2002 applied to a game by the same company in 2010 still existed and were identical that company behind said game failed completely and 100% totally to learn anything whatsoever in 8 years and continued to make the same mistakes?

That in my opinion is the very definition of stupidity.  Both by the developers and the players that support said game.  It'd be like chevrolet making a 2010 corvair that had the exact same problems as the first one and expecting people to buy it.

I hated FFXI, it was too group centric to the point of insanity so i never played it past my 30 days.  Did they ever fix the major complaints?  If so how long did it take them?  Should give you a point of reference for this game.

From what i saw in beta of FFXIV though, final fantasy XI had way more content and less issues than it's "sequel" 8 years later.

• DocEllis611DocEllis611 Member Posts: 86

Originally posted by swampthing11

Wouldn't you say that if the same complaints about a game that was released in 2002 applied to a game by the same company in 2010 still existed and were identical that company behind said game failed completely and 100% totally to learn anything whatsoever in 8 years and continued to make the same mistakes?

That in my opinion is the very definition of stupidity.  Both by the developers and the players that support said game.  It'd be like chevrolet making a 2010 corvair that had the exact same problems as the first one and expecting people to buy it.

I hated FFXI, it was too group centric to the point of insanity so i never played it past my 30 days.  Did they ever fix the major complaints?  If so how long did it take them?  Should give you a point of reference for this game.

From what i saw in beta of FFXIV though, final fantasy XI had way more content and less issues than it's "sequel" 8 years later.

But I wasn't complaining. I enjoyed the key map, which ties into why the interface was so DIFFERENT. And it's more realistic IMO not to have "armorer" or "weapon smith" over a persons head. Rather, just have them in a building labeled with a sign or out in a market set-up with no label at all. Not having a tutorial that holds your hand made me talk to other people, and FFXI is noted for having a great community...coincidence?

Not saying it was perfect, but it seems that what people are attacking, are things that I enjoyed.

• snippy64snippy64 Member UncommonPosts: 32

I am just curios to know if FFXI players are busy enjoying the game, and not defending it, or do FFXI players share the same negative sentiments that others (most) here have.

I try not to jump in the hottub when you know the last person in there had diarrhea. That's pretty much what coming to the mmorpg.com forums is like.

Unfortunately, all the stores were closed here today, so I'll wait until tomorrow to pick up my copy of FFXIV.