Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official "My account has been compromised..." Thread

Comments

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I don't have an active WoW account, but that doesn't stop me from getting a variety of phishing emails...

~Ripper

• astoriaastoria Member UncommonPosts: 1,677

Got another phishing email saying my subscription was suspended. It was a little suspicious since I never had a WoW subscription and didnt use that email address for the trial.

"Never met a pack of humans that were any different. Look at the idiots that get elected every couple of years. You really consider those guys more mature than us? The only difference between us and them is, when they gank some noobs and take their stuff, the noobs actually die." - Madimorga

• sifudojasifudoja Member Posts: 142

Alot of people never fell for the phishmail and still ended up getting their accounts stolen. I actually started getting them after my account was taken (the first time). So my guess was that however they got my account, at that point they got my email address with it.

My account was stolen, returned and stolen again the instant my one month of sub ended. Afterwards i recieved an email saying my account has been locked due to suspicion of illegal account buying/selling activity. I instantly closed the email and tried to login using the game, and got the message my account was locked. Then i tried the site without using any email links or anything and got the same message.

• pye088jpye088j Member Posts: 228

Yah i´ve been getting a steady stream of wow phising mails the last few years but what´s interesting is that I got an FFXIV phising mail today. Seems they´re branching out ;).

Sadly they couldn´t have my account details since I don´t own a copy of FFXIV. Just weird that they targetted my mail adress with it. Seems like a hard job to go through sending phising mails to random accounts though

All statements I make is from my point of view unless stated otherwise.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

Originally posted by pye088j

Yah i´ve been getting a steady stream of wow phising mails the last few years but what´s interesting is that I got an FFXIV phising mail today. Seems they´re branching out ;).

Sadly they couldn´t have my account details since I don´t own a copy of FFXIV. Just weird that they targetted my mail adress with it. Seems like a hard job to go through sending phising mails to random accounts though

Maybe all this time there has been an MMORPG.com employee giving out user information.

DUN DUN DUN!!!

Originally posted by colddog04

Maybe all this time there has been an MMORPG.com employee giving out user information.

DUN DUN DUN!!!

hehe. Well nothing is impossible just different degrees of likelyhood :D

• AglarannaAglaranna Member Posts: 204

Same here, just today. I don't play FFXIV. But I have gotten phishing emails for just about every MMO out there, beginning about 4-5 months ago. Personally I think the security breach and/or information sell was from a gamesite/forum(s), not Blizzard, as many people getting phishing emails have stated that they are receiving them on the email they use on gamesite/forums and not the ones they registered to the game companies.

Originally posted by Aglaranna

Same here, just today. I don't play FFXIV. But I have gotten phishing emails for just about every MMO out there, beginning about 4-5 months ago. Personally I think the security breach and/or information sell was from a gamesite/forum(s), not Blizzard, as many people getting phishing emails have stated that they are receiving them on the email they use on gamesite/forums and not the ones they registered to the game companies.

Aye they could certainly be coming from anywhere. With wow I can understand randomly sending mails, because of the size of it. Chances are you´ll hit someone sooner or later. FFXIV though must be alot harder and that´s why I don´t quite understand why i´m targetted.

I don´t post about mmo´s outside of mmorpg but i am a member on many other forums related to gaming so any one of those might have had an account misshap/sold info or whatever. I just don´t think the playerbase is that large in FFXIV that randomly spamming mail adresses would give the results they´re looking for.

Lol, i got one addressed from Blizzard  trying to scam my non existant Aion account also.

Aye they could certainly be coming from anywhere. With wow I can understand randomly sending mails, because of the size of it. Chances are you´ll hit someone sooner or later. FFXIV though must be alot harder and that´s why I don´t quite understand why i´m targetted.

I don´t post about mmo´s outside of mmorpg but i am a member on many other forums related to gaming so any one of those might have had an account misshap/sold info or whatever. I just don´t think the playerbase is that large in FFXIV that randomly spamming mail adresses would give the results they´re looking for.

Definately makes sense that someone could get our emails from a site and spam randomly til they hit a WoW player, but it's odd how often someone was hacked immediately after resubbing, after authenticators were introduced. Those numbers could be random chance due to the fact a million people probably resub every month, but it stands out to me.

And i don't think spamming the same people and trying to get accounts from other games would be a waste of time, the results would easily be worth the effort if there is almost no effort at all being put into it, and it's not as if once the word gets out the scam is over....people have know about it happening with WoW for a year now and it doesn't stop.

FFXIV is new enough that those accounts of people who got to max level in a week are probably worth enough to make it all worth doing.

• AxeionAxeion Member UncommonPosts: 418

how real does this look? i coped the emial to notepad then copeied agian to nuke the linksin it..

Hello,

This is an automated notification regarding your Battle.net account. Some or all of your contact information was recently modified through the Account Management website.

*** If you made recent account changes, please disregard this automatic notification.

*** If you did NOT make any changes to your account, we recommend you log in to Account Management review your account settings.

If you cannot sign into Account Management using the link above, or if unauthorized changes continue to happen, please contact Blizzard Billing & Account Services for further assistance.

Billing & Account Services can be reached at 1-800-59-BLIZZARD (1-800-592-5499 Mon-Fri, 8AM-8PM Pacific Time) or at [email protected].

Account security is solely the responsibility of the accountholder. Please be advised that in the event of a compromised account, Blizzard representatives will typically lock the account. In these cases the Account Administration team will require faxed receipt of ID materials before releasing the account for play.

Regards,

The Battle.net Support Team

Blizzard Entertainment

www.blizzard.com/support

Online Privacy Policy

which killed one at Acconunt Manager but rest show odd.or Phis?Heres the thing to my acounts not been switched over to battle.net as well.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." — Robert E. Howard, The Tower of the Elephant (1933)

• BashirBashir Member Posts: 85

lol, got an email today saying my account has been permabanned.  haven't played in almost 2 years.  had no problems until i signed up for battlenet.  go figure.  honestly, i don't even care and had a good laugh from the email.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

I hear you! I thought it was quite funny when I got mine... :)

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• tepthtanistepthtanis Member Posts: 545

Now that I think of it.... someone called "electricpixie" was the last person I talked to before my account was "supposedly" taken over. I'm sure that he/she had something to do with it... and banning me was by  the blizzard account...

Played Wow, D and L, AOC, GW, Eve, Rift and many more insignificant games.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

Originally posted by Dancer

so they are really phishing but in a pond with no fish. hehe

Got one better than that.  Just got an e-mail saying my login e-mail had been changed to a hotmail account ftom my work addy.  Like I play at work the idiots.

I'd love to see their faces when they figure out I've never ever had a Blizzard account.  :)

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• crusher143crusher143 Member UncommonPosts: 198

As a non english customer it´s easy to tell if it´s a scam mail. For example if you are german Blizzard never would write you an E-Mail in English but the scammers only do so.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

mine was never compromised, blizzard just ate it. I never linked it to a battlenet account so it just went poof.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i'v gotten 2 emails from "Blizzard" say that my account has been flaged as being in the process of being traded or sold and therfore violating the player agreement or some such thing, pls click on link to verify....... etc etc.

i'm not clicking any link.

the weird part is that the address is [email protected] which is the same address Blizz's mail comes from . anyways if it's for real and htey end up banning me or something all for the better, it's about time i quit this game for good.  

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i'v gotten 2 emails from "Blizzard" say that my account has been flaged as being in the process of being traded or sold and therfore violating the player agreement or some such thing, pls click on link to verify....... etc etc.

the weird part is that the address is [email protected] which is the same address Blizz's mail comes from . anyways if it's for real and htey end up banning me or something all for the better, it's about time i quit this game for good.  

Fake emails can have anything in the "from" address.  It is a rather common tactic of account thieves.  

I get about a dozen of those emails each week sent to my email account that doesn't even have a wow account registered to it. 

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

I get two to three of those emails a day.  They are all scams.  My email flags them as hoaxes with SPF verification.  I open them up and forward them to [email protected].  When I am bored I will go to the site and 99% of the time, Firefox flags them as phishing sites.  Even if it doesnt flag them, I usually enter in a user name like...."kiss my ass", then my password is "scammers".

LOL

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Here is something that helped me. I was hacked twice in the space of a week. Since that time I have moved my battlenet account on to it's own email address witch is not used for anything but that.  Helps spot whats spam and what's not.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Originally posted by Robokapp

one addon from curse that I KNOW for sure is truble is called "Ignoremore".

with an authenticator I had an attempted attack when I enabled it, a week later i enable it again, another attack within hours.

There is nothing wrong with that mod or anything in the download that could possibly cause harm.  Yes I downloaded it, opened the zip file and read the code in all 3 files. 

Wow LUA mods just do not work that way.  There is nothing that enabling a mod in game which could cause a compromised account.  For starters, wow doesn't even load mods until after you have already logged in.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Which is why so many people get hacked.

You can make the links and addresses you see show what you want , till you drill down a bit and see where they really come from.

As has been said time and again, never use (click)  links in email.

Use a decent password. 

Get a new email address and use it ONLY for games. all ISP's allow you to have multiple email addresses, use them.

Those 3 things will make 90% of people hack proof.

That last 10% nothing will help because they will allow their computers to be invaded by keyloggers, or just handing out there login info to others.

• outfctrloutfctrl Member UncommonPosts: 3,619

Originally posted by DarLorkar

Get a new email address and use it ONLY for games. all ISP's allow you to have multiple email addresses, use them.

That is a great idea.  I am going to do that today!!

• NasherUKNasherUK Member UncommonPosts: 480
    Even better, have a 2nd machine with Linux on it just for browsing and emails :P