Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is FFXIV the biggest disappointment of the year for gaming?

Comments

• justandulasjustandulas Member Posts: 165

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Of course, that the poll is on a Final Fantasy XIV related forum is likely to heavily bias a certain choice on the poll...

It amazes me actually that a game gets voted by 61% of the people in it's own forum section to be the "biggest disappointment of the year".

That speaks volumes to just how bad FF launched.

• whilanwhilan Member UncommonPosts: 3,472

The section of the forum doesn't really matter too much as this thread pops up on the 10 second renew screen on the front page. So everyone sees it and as this is a relatively new game, everyone and their mother is talking about this game.

Help me Bioware, you're my only hope.

Is ToR going to be good? Dude it's Bioware making a freaking star wars game, all signs point to awesome. -G4tv MMo report.

• RictofRictof Member Posts: 55

Hooray to disapointment! 

??????????

????????

?????????

??????We do it all the time!

Edit: Apparently this forum doesn't like Japanese characters...

Originally posted by Rictof

Hooray to disapointment! 

??????????

????????

?????????

??????We do it all the time!

Edit: Apparently this forum doesn't like Japanese characters...

We wouldn't have been able to read it anyway bro. I'm not surprised that this game is dominating the poll in its own thread. FF just seems to be running away with this competition, with APB and STO neck and neck for second place. I think what makes FF a larger disappointment is that they are an experienced studio with experience in the MMO field, there is no excuse for this second rate garbage.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

Originally posted by eyeswideopen

Originally posted by geldonyetich

Of course, that the poll is on a Final Fantasy XIV related forum is likely to heavily bias a certain choice on the poll...

It amazes me actually that a game gets voted by 61% of the people in it's own forum section to be the "biggest disappointment of the year".

Except that the title of the thread itself, which is seen on this site's main page, essentially invites everyone who didn't like FFXIV to come post and explain just how much they didn't like FFXIV, without necessarily having a clue about any of the other games.  This thread is set up to have FFXIV lose/win the poll, not the other way around. 

• evaxiaevaxia Member Posts: 7

I have one problem with this game, it's that the male characters look like metrosexuals. The elves and midlander humans look like they might like it up the butt. I know, I know, it's the 'final fantasy' style.. but honestly, I think those 'warriors' would be scared to break a nail or something. But, I suppose those people should have their game too.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

To me it's the second biggest disappointment of the year. STO wins hands down mostly due to how huge the IP is.

I was REALLY wanting to get lost in Gene Roddenberry's Universe WoW/SWG style but NOOOOOOO, they go and make a casual instanced ARCADE like GAME instead of a sprawling Universe/"world" style with massive immersion qualities and LOADS of content built on 50+ years of lore.

• choujiofkonochoujiofkono Member Posts: 852

Originally posted by roflcaust

This game has been the biggest disspoinement of 2010, hands down.

5  years in the making, over $60M spent on development costs; it had all the tools to be one of the greatest MMO of the decade, but it ended up being of the worst high-caliber MMO of the decade.

Nothing can save this game. The very basic gameplay is completely broken. Besides the ultra-hardcore and FF fanboys, nobody in their right mind will be playing this game in the long run. 

There aren't a lot of players playing the game right now and SE has done nothing to indicate that the game is taking a path in the right direction. 

But hey, this is SE we're talking about. The company who refused to ban gil farmers even when players FRAP'd them and provided screenshots of multiple parties camping the same spot for 24/7. 

This guy has it about right. 

Also the comment about SE crapping in a box and people would buy it is correct also.  I doubt that will be the case after the FF13 and FF14 shenannigans though. 

It was more of a kick to the testicles than a let down. 

"I'm not cheap I'm incredibly subconsciously financially optimized"
    "The worst part of censorship is ------------------"

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

What is the saddest part of this, is the fact that we aren't having "what is your favorite new release of the year for MMO gaming?" thread. I cannot think of one new game worth a damn this year. Not one.

I have been going back to old games.

Originally posted by Naral

What is the saddest part of this, is the fact that we aren't having "what is your favorite new release of the year for MMO gaming?" thread. I cannot think of one new game worth a damn this year. Not one.

I have been going back to old games.

There have been alot of good games to release this year, and afew gems. (transformers WFC and minecraft to name just afew) but for MMO's this has been a piss poor year. APB had a solid foundation but completely broken gameplay, balance, and lack of content. STO... well.. what can I say that hasn't already been said.. it just isn't up to par. FF14 has beautiful graphics but the foundation of the game itself is completely backwards and rotten. The post that suggested a true "NGE" was needed for FF14 could not have been more correct, unless fun is something SE knows how to patch in FF is in for a short lifespan. Regardless of what someone thought I didn't set up the poll to have FF win, it's doing that all on its own. Yea I made it in the FF thread, but isn't that where topics of FF should be? And instead of what is the biggest gaming disappoint i made it is FF the worst because right now, it is being torn up by fans and reviewers worldwide and is being heralded as the next big flop which is why I presented it in the forum I did. Bottem line, many good games have released this year but the MMO market has been one giant disaster after another. I'm sure the average WoW fanboi has had to have loved the last year, watching all the competition crumble and fail worse then the one before.

Originally posted by elocke

To me it's the second biggest disappointment of the year. STO wins hands down mostly due to how huge the IP is.

I was REALLY wanting to get lost in Gene Roddenberry's Universe WoW/SWG style but NOOOOOOO, they go and make a casual instanced ARCADE like GAME instead of a sprawling Universe/"world" style with massive immersion qualities and LOADS of content built on 50+ years of lore.

Both are about equal on the disappointment meter to myself. STO had a bigger IP, but FF had a bigger game studio with more experience publishing it. Either way, with the amount of money poured into them, neither game has an excuse for presenting itself in the manner it did. Regardless if STO ever gets better, its left a bad taste with gamers. FF will suffer from the same fate as AoC and STO, regardless if they can patch in 'fun' and fix the abundent amount of problems, many gamers will never come back due to the bad taste the game left with them at launch.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

All MMOs are the biggest disappointment because the majority of the people on this site get themselves all hyped up over a product without looking at all of the information. They all buy first and ask questions later.

I research any MMO I'm thinking of even trying and then I wait for a free trial. By then I have all of the information on how it plays and what people do and don't like about it so I know what to expect. The free trial lets me verify this information and decide if I want to put any money into the game. By doing this I never regret any money that I put into an MMO or feel let down since I know what to expect.

I will say that because so many people love to buy MMOs (preorder even, never preorder) without researching it allows companies to make back a lot of their money off of the box sales which leads them to want to mislead people into buying a box. If everyone researched and if most of the people waited until the free trial, then companies would have to put out highly polished games. That will never happen because the same people get themselves excited and then let down by MMO after MMO and never learn.

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

I found the way they used the classic vendor system for player sold items utterly hilarious.

Do eastern MMO developers even play the games they make? Or other MMOs? Because that system is a steaming pile of shit. I thought one would have figured that out by now.

It sure can be fixed, but it's weird as hell how can any developer worth their salt be blind to this.

Originally posted by Routver

I found the way they used the classic vendor system for player sold items utterly hilarious.

Do eastern MMO developers even play the games they make? Or other MMOs? Because that system is a steaming pile of shit. I thought one would have figured that out by now.

It sure can be fixed, but it's weird as hell how can any developer worth their salt be blind to this.

According to the head developer for FF14

A) He hasn't touched another game since FF11 hit the market because thats all he plays (and you wonder why FF feels so outdated..)

B) He literally didn't try his own product (FF14) until it was in OB. Which explains alot..

SE won't change a thing or admit they screwed this up, they just come off as a company that loves the smell of their own farts. I thought 13 was bad, but they stunned me with how horrible 14 was.  I bet they don't even have the grapefruits to address the poor reviews this game is receiving. If it is being received poorly by FFxivcore.com then the game has no chance. It would be as if MMO-champion rejected WoW because cata was just awful (not saying it is just an example)

• RoutverRoutver Member Posts: 383

Originally posted by justandulas

A) He hasn't touched another game since FF11 hit the market because thats all he plays (and you wonder why FF feels so outdated..)

B) He literally didn't try his own product (FF14) until it was in OB. Which explains alot..

SE won't change a thing or admit they screwed this up, they just come off as a company that loves the smell of their own farts. I thought 13 was bad, but they stunned me with how horrible 14 was.  I bet they don't even have the arrogance to address the poor reviews this game is receiving. If it is being received poorly by FFxivcore.com then the game has no chance. It would be as if MMO-champion rejected WoW because cata was just awful (not saying it is just an example)

It's like some japanese developer said (I think he was from Capcom), that Japan is years behind in gaming. He's spot on.

Some of the problems that are present in this game were already solved by other titles, more than five years ago.

Originally posted by justandulas

SE won't change a thing or admit they screwed this up, they just come off as a company that loves the smell of their own farts. I thought 13 was bad, but they stunned me with how horrible 14 was.  I bet they don't even have the arrogance to address the poor reviews this game is receiving. If it is being received poorly by FFxivcore.com then the game has no chance. It would be as if MMO-champion rejected WoW because cata was just awful (not saying it is just an example)

It's like some japanese developer said (I think he was from Capcom), that Japan is years behind in gaming. He's spot on.

Some of the problems that are present in this game were already solved by other titles, more than five years ago.

Yup, they'd have known all those things and mroe if they had played a game other then final fantasy 11 in the past 10 years. They literally have no grasp of how games have evolved to the next system. The only JRPG I have been truly amazed with the last decade was Demon's souls for the ps3 (a truly underrated lil gem of difficulty, but so rewarding) They better catch up and quickly because with SWTOR, GW2, and so many great console games on the horizon its safe to say the west isn't slowing down. Japan needs to realize their ways of developing games, especially rpg's, is very antiqueted and isn't even loved by the japenese anymore (1 star average rating for FF14 on amazon of japan)

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

I don't understand it either, especially when they could have just looked at the vendor systems for SWG or Anarchy Online. Both use "retainers" ( SWG uses character vendors just like FFXIV and AO uses shop terminals in player cities ). However, SWG and AO also make it very easy to find what you want with a simple search system, where you can search for an item and it will give you the vendors name, location, and co-ordinates in both games.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• summitussummitus Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Voted FF XIV ... no game has been as bad as this for long time , and to those putting STO before this ? At least STO was actually playable ..  FF XIV should never have been released in the shambolic form that it has been.

The only hope on the horizon at the moment is Star Wars next year, so heres keeping fingers crossed .

• Larry2298Larry2298 Member Posts: 865

Probably FFXIV the most disappointed game in mmorpg. In single PC game, it would be Civilization V, it happened to be the same problem like FFXIV. Civilization 4 much better than 5. 2K just want to rip money off people with cheap quality. But they are ruin their own credibility. I will not trust any game from 2K now.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Voted STO as it was simply a horrible game and a huge dissapointment considering the IP. FF XIV is bad but in no way is the IP nearly as big as Star Trek.

• gekkothegreygekkothegrey Member Posts: 236

Could not agree more. I was a huge FFXI fan, so I was so stooked for this. However after seeing how this game was not even close to being finished I canceled. I keep thinking someday someone will bring out an mmo that is better then wow and eq2, but almost 6 years in now, and no one still has. If you have not bought this save your money its not a finished product by any means, I think vangaurd was more finished when it came out.

• Haggis13Haggis13 Member Posts: 117

Naw, the biggest disappointment of the year for MMO gaming is still to come. It will be when Codemasters finally announces their plans to never ever update Lord of the Rings Online's European servers to the F2P patch, instead opting to let their contract expire.

• foulu625foulu625 Member Posts: 177

Not really, I called it being garbage when they announced they were making it. Asian gaming is rarely anything new, so I figured it would be copy/past plus attempts to modernize that would fail horribly with trite punishments in replacement of challenge. 

Biggest gaming disappointment of the year is that Halo is still around and people still enjoy it. Along with Activision becoming the new version of old EA. Those might tie the Kinect/Move + stupid retrending of the 80s' 3D crap.

Originally posted by summitus

Voted FF XIV ... no game has been as bad as this for long time , and to those putting STO before this ? At least STO was actually playable ..  FF XIV should never have been released in the shambolic form that it has been.

The only hope on the horizon at the moment is Star Wars next year, so heres keeping fingers crossed .

I'm at a loss to think of a worse game then FF14 to be released in awhile, even AoC was fun for 20 levels. This was.. just plain bad and an utter disappointment to most.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

FFXIV turned out pretty much like I expected, so no disappointment on my part.

STO was a much bigger failure/disappointment from my perspective as we witnessed the death of a great IP from an MMORPG viewpoint.

I think the high poll results here are a result of the nearness of FFXIV's release coupled with the fact it is in the FFXIV forum and not in general.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon